Sunderland v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Sunderland v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

12th December 80:0pm | Stadium of Light

Leeds go in search of their sixth win in seven games, as they head up to Wearside on Tuesday evening to play Managerless Sunderland. Having reached the dizzy heights of the play offs last season, much was expected from Tony Mowbray's team, but with eight points from ten games, the decision was made to end his tenure, after just thirteen months in charge. It may have been the shot in the arm they needed; having got back to winning ways at the weekend by beating fellow play-off hopefuls West Brom.

Three and a half years after leaving Elland Road, Jack Clarke will relish coming face to face with his boyhood club. Now 23, the versatile forward has been in fantastic form, netting ten times, notching up six man-of-the-match awards and topping the 'WhoScored' ratings with an average 7.65.

No too far down the Sunderland pecking order is another former Leeds academy prospect, with a very similar upbringing. Niall Huggins left the Whites in the Summer of 2021 in search of first team football. He joined the Mackems on a free transfer, and two years later has become an essential part of their defensive set up. Huggins and Clarke were both raised in York, and played for Heworth before joining the Leeds Utd Academy together in 2009. Leeds raised £10m from the sale of Jack Clarke to Spurs. Although Leeds didn't get a fee for Huggins, they do have a healthy sell-on fee.

Leeds will be without Junior Firpo (hamstring), Stuart Dallas (leg), Patrick Bamford (sick), Ian Poveda (International duty), Luke Ayling (knee) and Sam Byram (hamstring). Dennis Cirkin, Jay Matete & Jewison Bennette remain sidelined for the home side. In 93 past meetings, Leeds have won 40, with 34 going the way of Sunderland. Whilst the 1973 FA Cup final will always haunt Whites fans, another three points on Tuesday evening will go a long way to soften the boy, especially if the top two drop points.

New season VPN offer! Get NordVPN with 62% off + 3 months free...

John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Sunderland v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by John in Louisiana »

No Byram, dammit.

So Archie and Spence? Who switches sides?
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

We will need to be on our toes not only with clarke but the others, sunderland are not a bad side, beatable yes, but still a good side, the chances we create, we need to put away.
There will be a massive crowd and only 2000 tickets for us, we could do with silencing the crowd early on.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Mowbray was putting together a good young side up there and then they went and sacked him. If he's fit Clarke will be firing on all cylinders against his former side. His battle with Archie should be a cracker.

They may have the legs on us and they have a Bellingham in their ranks but this is the type of atmosphere and crowd our boys will be up for to show their quality. We may be without our RB-LB but we will have our new RB-LB with pace to burn. Confidence and belief is growing with every performance. We need to put down a marker again in this tricky game.

2-3 Spence to score to prove that some mothers really do just ave them.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

I reckon Spence will be RB to curb clarke, I notice Gyabi missing from the U21s, maybe he'll be on the bench as well.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:46 pm We will need to be on our toes not only with clarke but the others, sunderland are not a bad side, beatable yes, but still a good side, the chances we create, we need to put away.
There will be a massive crowd and only 2000 tickets for us, we could do with silencing the crowd early on.
2,000 in a 40,000+ stadium. A bit mean from the Sunderland board.

Hope we adopt a similar policy in the return match at ER.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

1964white wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:21 am 2,000 in a 40,000+ stadium. A bit mean from the Sunderland board.

Hope we adopt a similar policy in the return match at ER.
Especially in light of the 7,500 we were able to bring to our last game in a stadium that holds half as many.

I guess that means an allotment of 1,500 next time they come to ER.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

The last time we played at the Stadium Of Light in 2017.

Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Leeds1000 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:58 pm Mowbray was putting together a good young side up there and then they went and sacked him. If he's fit Clarke will be firing on all cylinders against his former side. His battle with Archie should be a cracker.

They may have the legs on us and they have a Bellingham in their ranks but this is the type of atmosphere and crowd our boys will be up for to show their quality. We may be without our RB-LB but we will have our new RB-LB with pace to burn. Confidence and belief is growing with every performance. We need to put down a marker again in this tricky game.

2-3 Spence to score to prove that some mothers really do just ave them.
Absolutely, looking forward to that. I think Archie will do well in that one. I think all the pressure will be on JC and if Archie can contain him early Jacks head will drop.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Same team, but Spence at LB.

Looking forward to it now, which is never a good sign.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Sky red button I imagine.

EDIT: no , I’ve checked, it’s the main game. Blue kit I suppose, do we win in that kit?
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

"Tuesday evening will go a long way to soften the boy,"

Some folks having trouble with the little man then?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Enzo Maresca made a point of saying they are a better side than us or something so fully expecting a defeat (despite the fact we beat Leicester and Sunderland didnt) :)

But seriously won't be easy.

They have some really dangerous players particularly Clarke, Roberts and Bellingham.

We will have 2 players playing out of position vs Clarke and Roberts which is an issue, going to need big performance from Archie Gray but we know he is capable.

They pressed Leicester really high like we did but unlike us they maybe lacked the quality to take advantage, even so they deserved atleast a draw.

It may be that that would suit us given we are officially the best transitional side in the league, if we can beat the press then our front 4 (the best in the league imo) could have a field day.

On the other hand if we struggle with it they have the quality to create chances.

We are a bit iffy away from home at times but I suppose the flip side is Ipswich and Leicester have lost home only 3 times this season between them.

2 of them was us.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

John in Louisiana wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:40 pm No Byram, dammit.

So Archie and Spence? Who switches sides?
Spence
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Meslier
Gray
Spence
Ampadu
Rodon
Struijk
Summerville
Kamara
Piroe
Georginio
James

Darlow
Cresswell
Hjelde
Cooper
Gruev
Joseph
Anthony
Gnonto
Gelhardt
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

DF hinted that some players are struggling with illness so there may be one or two unexpected changes tonight.
Need a big performance from Archie tonight against arguably the second best winger in the league (after Jimmy).
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

I'm a bit nervous about this one myself, but at the same time we can beat anyone on our day. If we come away from SOL with three points then I think we're all going to have a great Christmas as I fancy our chances against Coventry, Ipswich and Preston.

Much will depend who's on it on the night, who isn't and who wants it more.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

The same game plan that beat Leicester will do, go at them , not the other way round, and put our chances away
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

My team prediction
IMG_20231212_192458.jpg
Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:22 pm DF hinted that some players are struggling with illness so there may be one or two unexpected changes tonight.
Need a big performance from Archie tonight against arguably the second best winger in the league (after Jimmy).
Yes, that worries me a bit too.
As has been said here, the Clarke - Archie battle could be key. Bit worried about who will start in place of Sam. I'm really hoping we're not going to see one of the old guard starting. Surely it's time for Spence to start? I'd have been a lot happier if Shackleton was available.
Do we see the seemingly out of favour Cresswell?

This one is not sitting well with me. I'll have to go and do some serious meditation to ensure I'm sending the right vibes across the Atlantic! :geek: