Sunderland v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Sunderland v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by The Subhuman »

Leeds1000 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:58 pm I was reading a Mackems forum and a guy said my Leeds mates rave on about Gray but he wouldn't make our first 11. That's RB for ya.
There's a bloke on a Leeds forum saying Clarke wouldn't get into ours ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:35 pm I'm a bloody fool, James.
Aye, watching that again is like Jesus getting resurrected and them saying to the Romans "Hey lads, can you nail me to that cross again and stick a few spears in me? Cheers lads"
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:39 pm Apart from Clarke eating him up for supper, I thought Gray had a mare!
:)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:47 pm Ball watching for the goal, step forward a yard & Bellingham is offside.

His header straight to one of their forwards who skies his shot over the bar.

A couple of poor passes & lost possession in areas where we could have got punished.
But other than that he was great yeah?

Good job you watched it again then Leon :lol:
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

White Riot wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:49 pm That Chair is talented 😍

But, I've heard that he's a Lazee Boy :sleep:
Very good. That was so funny I nearly passed a stool
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:54 pm It's his job to find solutions though not mine or yours.

When it was obvious Southampton had completely worked us out he didn't even make a sub till the 73rd minute (like for like).

It was the 70th minute vs Stoke where we struggled.

It was the 75th minute tonight but again like for like waiting till we were behind when he just threw everyone on.

He could have changed formation, he could have gone more direct and fight for second balls by squeezing up, he could have even just changed positions, moved James left and Summerville Central pushed Rutter right etc.

He could have just tried something else.

Having absolutely no clue how to adapt when it's obvious your tactics aren't working and your special players have been nullified isn't a very good habit
THe argument is flawed because making the subs in those games you mentioned didn't really make us any better and similarly last night they didn't. So to make the subs earlier might have made us poorer.

We also have the fat that when he tried to rotate the team to freshen things up, for the match v Stoke, the players coming in were poor and did nothing to suggest tehy deserved a starting place. If Farke had made 2 or 3 un-enforced changes last night he would have been crucified. Sometimes players just have an off day/night. We had too many having poor games last night. Move on and win the next match and hopefully the next few.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:08 pm Very good. That was so funny I nearly passed a stool
Careful Jay :poo:

Talking of chairs, my motto has always been "Why stand up when you can sit down, and why sit down when you can lie down"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:11 pm And how many of those 70% actually gained automatic promotion?
Not having a dig, just interested.
Almost all.

We didn't

Brighton

Think that's it
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

The Subhuman wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:52 pm There's a bloke on a Leeds forum saying Clarke wouldn't get into ours ...
Bring back Luke. Skywalker.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:13 pm THe argument is flawed because making the subs in those games you mentioned didn't really make us any better and similarly last night they didn't. So to make the subs earlier might have made us poorer.

We also have the fat that when he tried to rotate the team to freshen things up, for the match v Stoke, the players coming in were poor and did nothing to suggest tehy deserved a starting place. If Farke had made 2 or 3 un-enforced changes last night he would have been crucified. Sometimes players just have an off day/night. We had too many having poor games last night. Move on and win the next match and hopefully the next few.
Agree to disagree then.

I dont understand why people are so keen to defend his record when he has a squad that basically every team in the league would love.

Do you think he makes much difference?

In the sense that his tactics and management is absolutely vital?

I don't personally
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:02 pm But other than that he was great yeah?

Good job you watched it again then Leon :lol:
I don't want to be too critical of Archie, he's young & will make mistakes and learn from them, because he is a clever footballer. I personally thought the Sunderland game was his worst one in his 20 appearances, not bad for a kid.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:54 pm Aye, watching that again is like Jesus getting resurrected and them saying to the Romans "Hey lads, can you nail me to that cross again and stick a few spears in me? Cheers lads"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:10 pm I don't want to be too critical of Archie, he's young & will make mistakes and learn from them, because he is a clever footballer. I personally thought the Sunderland game was his worst one in his 20 appearances, not bad for a kid.
Yeah, plus he's out of position and Clarke was class last night

I think he would have done way better than Ampadu and Kamara have done in midfield over the past two matches. Both look knackered to me
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:31 pm Agree to disagree then.

I dont understand why people are so keen to defend his record when he has a squad that basically every team in the league would love.

Do you think he makes much difference?

In the sense that his tactics and management is absolutely vital?

I don't personally
I think he has made a huge difference. It would have been very easy to have had a complete hangover season and do nothing. A lot of players were on their knees confidence wise, Messlier, Struyjk and Rutter to name 3. He has got Dan James and Summerville playing well consistently and having end product. From a man-management point of view he has gelled the team. Transfers wise he has done pretty well. Signing Rodon, Spence, Ampadu, Piroe, Byram, Kamara, Gurev and Darlow has been pretty successful, 5 of them I would describe as good signings and the other 3 we havent really seen enough of yet to judge, Performance wise we have played some excellent football and yes we have some exciting players but he has also been brave enough to play 4 attacking players as well as having attack minded fullbacks. I think barring the Bielsa football the style of football is better than anything in the last 20+ years.

I think he has a calmness that could be a crucial factor if we get to the end of the season in a pressurised situation. I would contrast his demeanour to Arteta's which I felt contributed hugely to Arsenal imploding last season.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:10 pm I don't want to be too critical of Archie, he's young & will make mistakes and learn from them, because he is a clever footballer. I personally thought the Sunderland game was his worst one in his 20 appearances, not bad for a kid.
He has made a fair amount of errors and that happens with any young player, a point I have made repeatedly about defenders learning from mistakes. If he was in his natural position then errors aren't usually as costly. It is all a good learning process for him though and should benefit his game long term.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

1964white wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:54 pm How the hell have I managed to watch a replay of that shocking match, a game littered with mistakes & little imagination from both teams?

Summary up later.
I’m so sorry, Leon. I’ve been listening to the YouTube commentators to try and find something positive to take away from that debacle, but it’s hard. Reminded me too much of Marsch’s Forest match.

Main point is that Farke needs to start rotating his squad more and, if players aren’t working out, sub them out quicker. The tempo and patterns of play have been extremely predictable of late and we’re going to face that same set up from opponents more and more if he doesn’t adjust. Lots of tired legs on the pitch out there. Willy belonged out there sooner for James and Spence should’ve stayed on for me…perhaps even switching with Archie to free him up. Also thought Ampadu should’ve come off instead of Kamara (Ampadu was on a yellow and Kamara was actually trying to create out there, albeit unsuccessfully at times). Think Farke played “afraid to lose” and his fears got the best of him…
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Summary

Minute
3rd Summerville taken out by Seelt.

4th Summerville whips in a wicked ball that was heading for the top corner, saved by Patterson.

6th Decent move involving Spence & Rutter, Piroe slow to react to Georginio's good cross.

13th Clarke dribbled past James & Gray to win a corner.

15th Poor challenge by Huggins on Georginio.

19th Shot deflected from Spence.

23rd Kamara fouled from behind by Bellingham.

25th Late challenge from Bellingham on ??? :duno:

29th Struijk tackle on the line to deny a certain goal.

30th Another contender for 'save of the season' from Meslier.

33rd Bad foul tackle on Summerville by Hume.

37th Rodon by Bellingham for a header that goes narrowly wide.

39th First yellow card to O'Nien for a another bad challenge from Sunderland.

57th Georginio fouled by Bellingham

64th Ampadu booked for pulling back Pritchard.

70th James booked for impeding a player.

71st What was that note Pritchard & Roberts handing about?

72nd Excellent break from Kamara onto Summerville whose shot was saved.

73rd Kamara pulled back by O'Nien

75th Anthony on for James. Gnonto for Rutter.

77th Poor header out from Pascal, Archie ball watching & plays Bellingham onside. GOAL :soccer:

81st Spence fouled by ?? :duno:

82nd Bamford on for Kamara, Joseph for Spence.

85th Gnonto fouled by Clarke.

87th Piroe shot cleared off the line.

90th 5 minutes added-on time,
1964white

Post by 1964white »

So, ten crude/poor fouls from Sunderland

Only one yellow card given

How the hell did Bellingham & O'Nien stay on the pitch?
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

1964white wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:03 pm So, ten crude/poor fouls from Sunderland

Only one yellow card given

How the hell did Bellingham & O'Nien stay on the pitch?
No doubt, the ref was $hite, Leon! Very biased to the home team as many were saying throughout on this thread. Definitely affected us, but we needed to find a way out and didn’t.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Jesus .. the hatchets are out for Leeds this time..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"