Blackburn Rovers v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Blackburn Rovers v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by The Subhuman »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:24 pm No not at all, you should only punch it clear when in danger or can't catch it, that was pathetic, why would you concede the ball for no reason ?
No SH, that was just pure bad goalkeeping, collect the ball, take the sting off the attack, don't invite a second wave.
So why isn't Farke saying catch the ball Ilan? ... Drum it into him... he must have thought he was about to be challenged.. I do think our D doesn't communicate, the goalkeeper needing to be a huge part of that.. Keepers aren't at their peak till 25/26... We've a while to wait. Unfortunately I don't think Darlow is the answer, he was bloody awful in the cup game he started
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:32 pm So why isn't Farke saying catch the ball Ilan? ... Drum it into him... he must have thought he was about to be challenged.. I do think our D doesn't communicate, the goalkeeper needing to be a huge part of that.. Keepers aren't at their peak till 25/26... We've a while to wait. Unfortunately I don't think Darlow is the answer, he was bloody awful in the cup game he started
Thats the sign of a goalkeeper unsure of whats going on with no command of his area, DF shouldn't be telling him the basics, not even the coaches, there wasn't a player within 5-7 yards, that was shocking, age is no excuse either, just poor goalkeeping and I only hope those at the club show him that clip and instruct him to collect the ball everytime he can from now on.
Darlow won't be getting in unless he makes a lot of howlers or injury, I don't see either happening, but I really hope they iron silly mistakes like that out asap.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:06 pm Absolutely no idea why swannie, had that ball dropped to an oncoming midfielder and he scored :rant: :rant:
It simply isn't good enough and the coaches need to smack it out of him before it does become costly, that punch blew our cover yesterday as I shouted at him to catch it, luckily we were fine.
But what was that all about for a so called seasoned professional !
I watched the whole game again this evening.

Meslier didn't attempt to collect the ball on at least three occasions when the ball was crossed into our six yard box, surely a keeper should be dominating his area, maybe he doesn't want to grab the ball in case he palms the ball out to an opposition forward.

One of his punches landed to Blackburn's top scorer Szmodics, who lashed his shot well wide, thank god he didn't hit the ball sweetly!

Meslier plays more as a third CB than a goalkeeper, at least he is anticipating balls outside the area.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

This one's for '64 :)

Source: https://twitter.com/LUFC/status/1733936 ... gr%5Etweet
In Farke we trust...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Key moments of the game

Minutes:
11th Rodon necessary tackle to cut out an advantage to Blackburn.

15th Summerville's shot well wide.

18th Piroe set-piece free kick deflected inches wide.

25th Missed opportunity with Rutter's lobbed shot.

26th Great sliding tackle from Pascal

27th Superb strike from James after good run & a nice pass from Rutter :soccer:

30th James sprints down the right & delivers an excellent cross only for Rutter not getting on the end of it.

42nd A header from a Blackburn forward well wide.

48th Great block from Pascal.

49th Szmodics shot well wide, after another punch from Meslier.

57th Blackburn's full-back shoots into the side-netting.

63rd Archie receives a yellow card for kicking a ball away.

65th Wharton yellow card after an awful tackle on Ampadu.

67th Excellent tackle from Byram, sustaining an injury.

69th A header over the bar from Blackburn's Carter.

70th Gnonto on for James, Spence on for Byram.

73rd Gnonto's thunderbolt shot is deflected & then saved onto the bar.

74th Tame shot from Piroe saved.

75th A wonderful dinked goal from Summerville after two fine touches from Gray & Rutter & then a sublime pass from Archie to Cry. :soccer:

79th Carter booked for a crude challenge on Rutter.

82th Meslier make a stunning save from Sigurdsson.

84th Anthony on for Summerville

85th Ampadu deservedly booked after committing his fifth foul.

89th Gruev on for Piroe, Joseph on for Rutter.

90th Seven minutes added-on-time

Not a lot happened after the 90th minute, as Leeds retained the ball & made it difficult for Rovers to push forward.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:49 pm This one's for '64 :)

Source: https://twitter.com/LUFC/status/1733936 ... gr%5Etweet
Indeed Ash.

Rodon is up there in the majority of our matches, but his unattractive work & cleaning up at the back goes unnoticed, especially when our front four are so brilliantly dominant.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:08 pm Indeed Ash.

Rodon is up there in the majority of our matches, but his unattractive work & cleaning up at the back goes unnoticed, especially when our front four are so brilliantly dominant.
In an unflattering, grind-it-out kind of match like yesterday, and when our more "flashy" players are little more subdued or off their pace, the masses can see a little more easily all the good he does.
In Farke we trust...
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:24 pm I watched the whole game again this evening.

Meslier didn't attempt to collect the ball on at least three occasions when the ball was crossed into our six yard box, surely a keeper should be dominating his area, maybe he doesn't want to grab the ball in case he palms the ball out to an opposition forward.

One of his punches landed to Blackburn's top scorer Szmodics, who lashed his shot well wide, thank god he didn't hit the ball sweetly!

Meslier plays more as a third CB than a goalkeeper, at least he is anticipating balls outside the area.
Oh yes I know that, I was simply highlighting one absolutle clanger he got away with, the coaching staff, DF and whoever else is involved need to address it asap before it does become costly, no coincidence the opposition target him from set pieces and sent in bombs.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:38 pm Thats the sign of a goalkeeper unsure of whats going on with no command of his area, DF shouldn't be telling him the basics, not even the coaches, there wasn't a player within 5-7 yards, that was shocking, age is no excuse either, just poor goalkeeping and I only hope those at the club show him that clip and instruct him to collect the ball everytime he can from now on.
Darlow won't be getting in unless he makes a lot of howlers or injury, I don't see either happening, but I really hope they iron silly mistakes like that out asap.
Some keepers are bought up punching, especially continental keepers ... It's probably what comes naturally to him, it needs coaching out and it ain't difficult. Kinda says Farke doesn't mind him doing it that way
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I do wonder why Struijk needed to be on our right side for that sliding tackle, great recovery and that would have been a great chance for them had he not got there.

For me that's one of the reasons I had Struijk with the better first half, Joe came back stronger in the second.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:12 pm Oh yes I know that, I was simply highlighting one absolutle clanger he got away with, the coaching staff, DF and whoever else is involved need to address it asap before it does become costly, no coincidence the opposition target him from set pieces and sent in bombs.
Meslier won't get away with it in the Premier League.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:15 pm I do wonder why Struijk needed to be on our right side for that sliding tackle, great recovery and that would have been a great chance for them had he not got there.

For me that's one of the reasons I had Struijk with the better first half, Joe came back stronger in the second.
Pascal made the tackle because Joe was taken out in a challenge near the halfway line.

Similar figures for our CB pair

Rodon - 25 decent actions, including:
4 defensive headers
5 defensive clearances
4 tackles
2 interceptions
3 blocks

Struijk - 22 decent actions, including:
5 defensive headers
2 defensive clearances
1 tackle
5 interceptions
1 block
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:46 pm Pascal made the tackle because Joe was taken out in a challenge near the halfway line.

Similar figures for our CB pair

Rodon - 25 decent actions, including:
4 defensive headers
5 defensive clearances
4 tackles
2 interceptions
3 blocks

Struijk - 22 decent actions, including:
5 defensive headers
2 defensive clearances
1 tackle
5 interceptions
1 block
What impressed me about Struijk and that is why I had him as my MotM was the way he bullied their forwards. He literally pushed a few players out of the box using his core when they were in possession. Fantastic defending and also judgement. The Ayling flop doesn’t work in this league and he is taking full advantage of that.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:55 pm What impressed me about Struijk and that is why I had him as my MotM was the way he bullied their forwards. He literally pushed a few players out of the box using his core when they were in possession. Fantastic defending and also judgement. The Ayling flop doesn’t work in this league and he is taking full advantage of that.
Back to his best after his hernia operation.

Both Pascal & Joe hardly put a foot or head wrong, very solid.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Finnatic wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:11 pm It’s even longer in the away kit, Brentford and Blackburn were the 3rd kits.
Barnsley a year before Brentford was the last win in our 2nd kit if I remember correctly.
That's a horrible stat, Finn.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:10 pm In an unflattering, grind-it-out kind of match like yesterday, and when our more "flashy" players are little more subdued or off their pace, the masses can see a little more easily all the good he does.
As I've said many times, we are absolutely done for if Rodon picks up a serious injury, as I don't trust Cooper or Cresswell to play alongside Struijk, they haven't got the same attributes Joe possesses. Also, it's guaranteed Pascal's form would suffer without his main partner, they compliment each other.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:10 pm In an unflattering, grind-it-out kind of match like yesterday, and when our more "flashy" players are little more subdued or off their pace, the masses can see a little more easily all the good he does.
I was going to make the same point. A lot didn't come off up front. So, Rodon got my MOTM too.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

While we're on the topic, it's definitely worth seeing again--so pretty. Also, not a bad burst of speed big boy put on at the end there. Not what I would want to see running at me at full speed. Now my wife, that's a different story altogether :lol:

Source: https://twitter.com/LUFC/status/1733871 ... gr%5Etweet
In Farke we trust...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:08 pm As I've said many times, we are absolutely done for if Rodon picks up a serious injury, as I don't trust Cooper or Cresswell to play alongside Struijk, they haven't got the same attributes Joe possesses. Also, it's guaranteed Pascal's form would suffer without his main partner, they compliment each other.
I do trust Cresswell .. It's Rutter we'd miss most. think Leeds fans need the brilliant from him but he also brings hard work and all over the pitch ability. Great game from him yesterday, contributions to both goals, the touch for Gray made it easy for him to lay up Summerville and a powerful run after a stumble to set up James. No Geo we probably don't score and the goals take the pressure off the defence

My MOTM
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I stuck up for our pirate Pascal when many were slagging him off, not long ago. Now he's everyone's hero. About time for Pascal.....