Leeds Utd v Middlesbrough Match Thread - Farke Names Unchanged Line-up

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Middlesbrough Match Thread - Farke Names Unchanged Line-up

Post by weasel »

Leeds1000 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:02 pm :shock:

He would have sorted the last bit out Kenneth. He would have bought in all the tallest players we could afford and then we would have murdered teams at set-pieces. A bit like the Monk stint.
The Monk stint is another good example. Lots of games where we weren't the better side but won cos Chris Wood had a monster season and Rob Green did too. Throw in Bartley and Jannson being no nonsense defenders (who could also score a few from set pieces) and we had a team that overachieved. The only trouble was that we had no real control, we weren't going to get top two and in the play-offs we'd be facing better teams.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:28 pm The Monk stint is another good example. Lots of games where we weren't the better side but won cos Chris Wood had a monster season and Rob Green did too. Throw in Bartley and Jannson being no nonsense defenders (who could also score a few from set pieces) and we had a team that overachieved. The only trouble was that we had no real control, we weren't going to get top two and in the play-offs we'd be facing better teams.
I can just see some now salivating over Jannson and Bartley wishing they were back, and that they're just what this team needs now to make us complete.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:00 pm I thought we got lucky today.

Both headed goals were deflected towards the scorers, and the pen and sending off were gifts.

However 7 out of 9 points isn't a poor return from a busy week.
Middlesborough looked a very good side. They should be a playoff team. IT's always going to be tough against teams like that. But we did have the better quality and better chances overall.

We looked a little sloppy. Maybe expected after 3 games in a week - following several players coming back from internationals too. Chance to refresh and go again next week.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

weasel wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:32 pm It is a tricky one to bring on the subs at the right time. I made a post earlier saying about the ideal scenario being that we have games under control by the 60-70 minute mark and can then makes subs to rest players. If the game isn't under control then it is very easy to make a mistake that can cost you the game - if you are behind it is easier because you bring on attacking players but if you are in front and you take someone off who is flagging a bit then you are gambling that the player coming on will get straight into the game and be able to play at the intensity of the players that have been on the pitch for the full game. Get the decision wrong and you can throw away the lead. If you are chasing the game and you make a sub and it doesn't pay off well you haven't lost anything.

Even today at 3-2 up you could say to bring on another midfielder or defender and take off an attacker. But if you do that you might lose your attacking threat and simply invite pressure on yourself.

So for me it is start with your strongest side and try to get the win in the bag and then make subs. I wouldn't have made the subs any earlier than Farke did today, I felt he got it spot on.
The problem with making subs is that our replacements haven't shown great form. They can't be fully trusted yet.

Gruev, Anthony, Gnonto haven't done well when they've started. Bamford still hasn't scored. Defence looks less assured when its not Strujik AND Rodon.

All our replacements have only been reliable for short periods.

Firpo might have been a good sub if available

Spence would have improved us, but it seems Farke doesn't want to risk him yet unless he has to

So ... like you, I was happy with the timing of the subs and would have been more nervous in a tough game like this if we'd made them earlier. Next week - 3 games in 7 days - it will be interesting to see how Farke manages game time
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:10 pm The problem with making subs is that our replacements haven't shown great form. They can't be fully trusted yet.

Gruev, Anthony, Gnonto haven't done well when they've started. Bamford still hasn't scored. Defence looks less assured when its not Strujik AND Rodon.

All our replacements have only been reliable for short periods.

Firpo might have been a good sub if available

Spence would have improved us, but it seems Farke doesn't want to risk him yet unless he has to

So ... like you, I was happy with the timing of the subs and would have been more nervous in a tough game like this if we'd made them earlier. Next week - 3 games in 7 days - it will be interesting to see how Farke manages game time
Spot on, Andrew :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The good, bad & the ugly

Good
  • Two headed goals from our tiny tots
  • Piroe's penalty, that's how to take a pen, Paddy.
  • Our child putting in a MOTM performance against the best side I've seen at ER this season. An assist to his name.
  • Rodon sensational goal saving block.
  • Sam's dynamic display & an assist.
  • Piroe looking more comfortable in Farke's formation.
  • Summerville's energetic running & dribbling.
  • Georginio's assist to win the penalty.
Bad
  • Pascal worst game of the season.
  • Georginio's abysmal shooting (five in all). Rutter poorest show this season.
  • Meslier beaten at his near post again, to be fair Latte Lath's shot was struck with velocity.
Ugly
  • Boro' are a dirty/cynical side, very fortunate not to be down to eight men with some crude challenges. I shall highlight the culprits on the 'Rate the Ref' thread
Amusing
  • Bamford's new image. --- If we play in our black kit, he will look like a pint of Guinness :lol:
  • Infiltrators in the second-half on LUTV's coverage of the match ---- Anyone worked out who was causing the interference?
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:02 pm Middlesborough looked a very good side. They should be a playoff team. IT's always going to be tough against teams like that. But we did have the better quality and better chances overall.

We looked a little sloppy. Maybe expected after 3 games in a week - following several players coming back from internationals too. Chance to refresh and go again next week.
I agree andrew I thought Boro looked handy and I reckon Carrick will get a PL job one day. They were carrying a few injuries yesterday and were of vourse denied the services of Greenwood too. I wouldn't begrudge them a play off slot..

As you say it was the third game in a week and on the back of the Internatinal break.

The games will be comimg thick and fast again soon enough, with us doing so well with a settled side I hope the rotaton players will do well.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:31 pm The good, bad & the ugly

• Infiltrators in the second-half on LUTV's coverage of the match ---- Anyone worked out who was causing the interference?
I heard there was pair of very large antannae getting waved about in the LUTV studio every time we attacked.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:31 pm
Amusing
  • Bamford's new image. --- If we play in our black kit, he will look like a pint of Guinness :lol:

:lol: :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

John in Louisiana wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:56 am :lol: :lol:
I can't get that vision of Bamford out of my head now, John.
Ben Scooby lufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ben Scooby lufc »

Great performance from both teams although we need to be far more clinical infront of goal. We are need a couple of goals cushion to see off these teams.
Still seven games underfeated at Elland rd is quality. M.O.T :soccer: :soccer: :soccer:
;-) Yeboah against Liverpool :!: :!: Crossbar and in. :love: :love:
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

1964white wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:04 am I can't get that vision of Bamford out of my head now, John.
Considering all the negativity around him it is rather ballsy to go out and adopt that look. He may have the world can go F**k itself attitude, which isn’t always a bad thing, but he needs to back that up with something tangible on the grass. I hope it works out for him personally, but the clock is ticking.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:31 pm The good, bad & the ugly

Good
  • Two headed goals from our tiny tots
  • Piroe's penalty, that's how to take a pen, Paddy.
  • Our child putting in a MOTM performance against the best side I've seen at ER this season. An assist to his name.
  • Rodon sensational goal saving block.
  • Sam's dynamic display & an assist.
  • Piroe looking more comfortable in Farke's formation.
  • Summerville's energetic running & dribbling.
  • Georginio's assist to win the penalty.
Bad
  • Pascal worst game of the season.
  • Georginio's abysmal shooting (five in all). Rutter poorest show this season.
  • Meslier beaten at his near post again, to be fair Latte Lath's shot was struck with velocity.
Ugly
  • Boro' are a dirty/cynical side, very fortunate not to be down to eight men with some crude challenges. I shall highlight the culprits on the 'Rate the Ref' thread
Amusing
Think you can probably stop calling him a child.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Interestingly we got no "assists" on Saturday further making the stat a pointless one. It really is the worst stat there is....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:04 am Think you can probably stop calling him a child.
He's still a kid at 17yo.

Teenager would probably be more appropriate, I suppose, though there are loads of them in football.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:06 am Interestingly we got no "assists" on Saturday further making the stat a pointless one. It really is the worst stat there is....
I have my own assist stats:

Byram assist, for our first goal
Gray for our second goal
Rutter for our third goal
1964white

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:46 am Considering all the negativity around him it is rather ballsy to go out and adopt that look. He may have the world can go F**k itself attitude, which isn’t always a bad thing, but he needs to back that up with something tangible on the grass. I hope it works out for him personally, but the clock is ticking.
Paddy was trying to fool us all, we sussed him from the kop.

Can't wait for us to play in black :lol:

A pint of Guinness please, Paddy. :beer:
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Bamfraud might look like a pint of guinness, but it;s the 0% alcohol stuff, weak as piss and has no effect.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Jaydog wrote: If you have tuna sandwiches never, I repeat, never let a penguin in your lunchbox. It only ever ends up one way.
Hellava big lunch box to have penguin in it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

mentalcase wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:50 am Bamfraud might look like a pint of guinness, but it;s the 0% alcohol stuff, weak as piss and has no effect.
Harsh, but 😂😂😂
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello