Rotherham Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Leighton
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Rotherham Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Leighton »

Leeds1000 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:21 pm Your mate was spot on. Unfortunately so was we on the night.
He has enjoyed the aftermath.....the ****head
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

1964white wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:45 am
Didn't get to see the game.
Just watched your highlights.
It looked like we should have scored more than the one goal.
Summerville looked very good.
What a pass from Rutter for the goal.
It's a good job that Cooper cleared off the line and it was equally a good job that he was too slow to be able to catch hold of their winger and pull him back for a penalty.
What is it about Bamford's toe, finger or nose that prevents us from scoring.
At least we got closer to second place.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

BobHirst wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:35 am Didn't get to see the game.
Just watched your highlights.
It looked like we should have scored more than the one goal.
Summerville looked very good.
What a pass from Rutter for the goal.
It's a good job that Cooper cleared off the line and it was equally a good job that he was too slow to be able to catch hold of their winger and pull him back for a penalty.
What is it about Bamford's toe, finger or nose that prevents us from scoring.
At least we got closer to second place.
The likes of Piroe, James, Gnonto & Kamara need to learn to shoot on target on a more consistent basis, the shots over the bar are due to poor technique & are inexcusable at this level.

Piroe should be well into double figures by now.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:30 am The likes of Piroe, James, Gnonto & Kamara need to learn to shoot on target on a more consistent basis, the shots over the bar are due to poor technique & are inexcusable at this level.

Piroe should be well into double figures by now.
Gnonto's was a great effort considering the bounce.. We didn't buy Kamara to score goals so he's not a natural, tricky shot which he sliced across slightly, they go in one in three. James was poor yes, not the miss but it was the wrong choice, was Piroe's but I'd rather he was more an in box predator
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:27 pm Gnonto's was a great effort considering the bounce.. We didn't buy Kamara to score goals so he's not a natural, tricky shot which he sliced across slightly, they go in one in three. James was poor yes, not the miss but it was the wrong choice, was Piroe's but I'd rather he was more an in box predator
All missed the target, as has occured in far too many games.

Kamara is a skilful midfielder (reminds me of Klich) and should be scoring goals. Far too often over the last 2 or 3 decades, we've had central midfielders who can't put the ball in the net.

The James effort was the Dan of old we all know!

Gnonto effort was a half-volley, but he got underneath the shot & inevitably it flew over the bar.

Piroe should be on at least a dozen goals but for some eratic finishing, powder-puff at times.

Ironically, Struijk tends to miss more with his head than when using his feet.

Bamford couldn't hit a barn door.

We would certainly be the top scorers in the championship by a long chalk if we were more efficient in front of goal, also would be on the same amount of points as Leicester, unfortunately we have chucked at least nine or ten points away due to our inability to take our chances & concede poor goals in at least four of our games.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:40 pm All missed the target, as has occured in far too many games.

Kamara is a skilful midfielder (reminds me of Klich) and should be scoring goals. Far too often over the last 2 or 3 decades, we've had central midfielders who can't put the ball in the net.

The James effort was the Dan of old we all know!

Gnonto effort was a half-volley, but he got underneath the shot & inevitably it flew over the bar.

Piroe should be on at least a dozen goals but for some eratic finishing, powder-puff at times.

Ironically, Struijk tends to miss more with his head than when using his feet.

Bamford couldn't hit a barn door.

We would certainly be the top scorers in the championship by a long chalk if we were more efficient in front of goals, also would be on the same amount of points as Leicester, unfortunately we have chucked at least nine or ten points away due to our inability to take our chances & concede poor goals in at least four of our games.
Don't think Kamara has missed many like that, Gnonto has hardly played recently. We love to apportion blame and not realise it's just football. I watched Haaland miss 2/3 gilt edge chances recently. Everyone does it. Leicester have had the run of the ball so far, they've not played that well, it should catch up with them..

I remember Lorimer missing 2 pens in the same game, then miss a sitter in the next.. I wouldn't call him poor. I can't defend Paddy at the moment, he needs a run in the 21's.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Junior Firpo is now a “massive, massive worry” at left-back for Leeds United after the 1-1 draw with Rotherham in his first start of the season, according to Adam Pope.

The BBC journalist said on Don’t Go To Bed Just Yet on 27 November that while there was plenty of blame to go around for the home side’s equaliser at the New York Stadium it was the former Barcelona man who was the biggest cause for concern.

Daniel Farke chose the 27-year-old ahead of Sam Byram due to an injury concern on the latter, in a changed back-line next to captain Liam Cooper who was himself in the side over Pascal Struijk after hernia surgery, and while Pope was filled with praise for the two centre-backs, as well as Joe Rodon and Archie Gray he is now feeling very uneasy over the picture on the left.

“I thought Cooper sets the tone with the first header of the game… I thought him and Rodon were great that way and he did everything he needed to do, Liam Cooper.

“He got a bit of cramp, probably still going to be okay, although Struijk came on which is amazing, it’s crazy isn’t it, outrageous.

“So they’ve done that, Rodon’s done his bit, Archie Gray did some phenomenal stuff in the game as well. And I know we can all point fingers for the goal but the one big area was left-back.

“So that’s a massive, massive worry for me that now, and I never thought it would be as much of a worry but that’s huge, in the sense that Byram had kind of sorted it out.

“I was in denial two years ago thinking they don’t need to sign anyone. If Byram’s fit that’s great, that’s fine, but wow.”

Nothing new

Firpo is an easy target because he has clearly been a disappointment in his Leeds United career since arriving from the Camp Nou three summers ago.

But it is perhaps harsh to pin the dropped points on him when he was making only his second appearance of the whole campaign after a long injury lay-off and he has been tipped to do well at this level compared after being “found out” the Premier League.

And it is also not a surprise when his struggles over the past couple of years showed the Whites have needed an answer at left-back for some time and regularly neglected to find one.

Max Wober was briefly used there but was primarily a centre-back, and even Byram’s emergence as the regular starter was a surprise of sorts given he was nominally a right-sided player when he returned for free in the summer.

The former Norwich City man has been a high-value addition but was always a risk if he was expected to be available for every game given his fitness record ever since he left Elland Road the first time.

His 16 appearances so far is already more than many expected but even if he misses one or two here and therewould mean Firpo is the next man up unless Farke wants to rely on Jamie Shackleton.

The back line as a whole has been very impressive, and from unexpected sources in part, but even with Byram fit it is the left side that is the biggest question mark so a new arrival in January probably can’t be ruled out.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)