England International Matches

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
PhoenixUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

England International Matches

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Have to say, I paid no attention at all to the friendly international against Australia.

I will however try to take in the match against Italy on Tuesday although these International Breaks are as dull as dishwater
Keep The Faith MOT WAL
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: England International Matches

Post by Kennyb41 »

You missed fck all, apart from a 33yo getting rightly booed.

And a fcking tedious boring as per feckin usual England.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Not the greatest spectacle, but another victory for England and effectively an England second eleven at that. I’m always happy when Leeds United win and when England win.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

It was England reserves basically
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Couldn't be arsed to watch it.

No doubt some fans think England will win Euro '24 :roll:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:36 am It was England reserves basically
No excuse!

England reserve team should be doing better than a boring 1-0 win against a tin-pot football nation.

Is this the level English football is at nowadays? The answer is yes to be perfectly honest.

As a kid & a young man, I used to love watching England & the home nations, not any more!
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

England B ( what can the B stand for) v the Aussies.
A nothing game with about as much appeal as cleaning out your guttering..
It's out on DVD at Amazon.co.uk... You get a free rope with every copy.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Got that bored, switched over and watched Corrie which was pretty good.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:46 am No excuse!

England reserve team should be doing better than a boring 1-0 win against a tin-pot football nation.

Is this the level English football is at nowadays? The answer is yes to be perfectly honest.

As a kid & a young man, I used to love watching England & the home nations, not any more!
Not making an excuse 64, just stating a fact that it wasn't England's strongest line up. What it highlighted was that outside of our strongest 11, we're perhaps not that strong although there were several players playing with very little international experience. They need games like this to gain experience and for Southgate to see if they're up to it.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Rook
First Team
First Team

Post by Rook »

I didn't even know they were playing last night.

For some reason i thought they were playing today.
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

Rook wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:58 pm I didn't even know they were playing last night.

For some reason i thought they were playing today.
You dodged a bullet of your valuable time....Most of us will never recover :)
geronimo
First Team
First Team
Twitter: none

Post by geronimo »

They are a irrelevant exercise that take too much time up in the football calendar that have gone on fo years the need to stop the top two divisions from playing for an England game is farcical

Especially when in the championship three games are then crammed in to the space of a week
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

1964white wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:46 am No excuse!

I don’t agree with any of that 64.

Australia are not a tin pot football nation. They are currently ranked 27th in the world and got into the last 16 of the 2022 World Cup, and bearing in mind that any game in any sport against England is Australia’s “cup final”, I think a 1-0 win by what was effectively a second eleven England team was ok. As I said earlier the game wasn’t a great spectacle but the Aussies had clearly come to not get beaten, packed their defence and relied on breakaways and, as we know from watching Leeds this season, teams who play this way are not easy to breakdown.

England are currently ranked 4th in the world and I maintain that our record in recent major tournaments is pretty good. We generally qualify for finals with ease these days and got the last 8 of the last World Cup, got to the last 4 of the World Cup before that and got to the final of the last European Championship. This is at least on a par with Englands football record historically.

I always enjoyed watching England as a kid and a young man and still do.
Rook
First Team
First Team

Post by Rook »

geronimo wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:44 pm They are a irrelevant exercise that take too much time up in the football calendar that have gone on fo years the need to stop the top two divisions from playing for an England game is farcical

Especially when in the championship three games are then crammed in to the space of a week

I fully agree.
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

When you look at Englands squad it’ll be criminal if GS doesn’t win a major tournament especially as some of the superpowers aren’t what they used to be.
geronimo
First Team
First Team
Twitter: none

Post by geronimo »

Jaydog wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:55 pm When you look at Englands squad it’ll be criminal if GS doesn’t win a major tournament especially as some of the superpowers aren’t what they used to be.
England have always flattered to deceive in major tournaments, the media build them up and when it comes to the crunch games and the pressure is on they crumble every time
I don't see England winning a major tournament in my lifetime a bit like Leeds
The Germans on the other hand always come good at the right time and have easily been the most successful team in Europe for donkeys years
Their records in world cups and European tournaments are second to none
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

geronimo wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:06 pm England have always flattered to deceive in major tournaments, the media build them up and when it comes to the crunch games and the pressure is on they crumble every time
I don't see England winning a major tournament in my lifetime a bit like Leeds
The Germans on the other hand always come good at the right time and have easily been the most successful team in Europe for donkeys years
Their records in world cups and European tournaments are second to none
They wouldn’t win a raffle with Gazza Shitgate in charge. Utterly clueless. I mean Henderson ffs😂
Phild
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Phild »

The draw in major tournaments has always been kind to England.
Think any mediocre manager could have gotten us to the same stages as Southgate with this squad.
This is where a superior coach ( not sure who) could have possibly have taken us further.
Somebody said we are ranked 4th.
Wouldn’t fancy us against any ranked team above or around us with Southgate.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Put it on, saw Kewell, turned it off. Watched the last 10 minutes and that was pretty dull.

Pointless friendlies, getting in the way of our actual season.
PhoenixUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Jaydog wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:55 pm When you look at Englands squad it’ll be criminal if GS doesn’t win a major tournament especially as some of the superpowers aren’t what they used to be.
Well the fundamental requirement is for the International Team manager to select his squad and then mould them into a winning team. It does not mean getting the best football players available as that does not necessarily mean they will form the best team. Need some water carriers too! Apologies for stating the obvious.

Also, there is the issue of the tactics to be employed. If you just review what Alf Ramsey did and how he did it with his wingless wonders in the 1966 World Cup winning team. Horses for courses.

With the Gareth Southgate teams what we seem to see is a set up that is sent out to play "tournament" football which is play 2 DMs in front of the defence and pass the ball sideways, back and across the park in our own half and then try to get a goal to scrape a win to get the points and qualify for the next round. By the time the team gets to the knock out stages, which fair enough the England team has a decent record of doing, the team is so regimental in its tactics and can't play any other way that it is just inevitable that we end up with trying to win games on penalties. GS is set in his ways and has his favourite players and he ain't going to change any time soon. I hope I'm wrong but I really can't see GS heading up a tournament winng team sadly
Keep The Faith MOT WAL