Leeds Utd 2-1 Bristol City - Post Match Debate

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Leeds Utd 2-1 Bristol City - Post Match Debate

Post by Sean_Nile »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:40 am Once again, not impressed with those substitutions, why on earth are we persisting with getting bamford on the pitch !!
As soon as the subs started our press dropped enormously, I was sat next to a self confessed bamford lover, I told him I wasn't a fan at all, after 10 mins he said he understood where I was coming from with that display, I rest my case.
Personally I didn't think there was anything broken, so why attempt to fix it ?
I know the last 3 were simply running the clock down, but, as I said, we lost our rhythm when we started shuffling, unless there were injuries, there was no need to sub anyone, surely the squad will understand.
Chuffed for young Archie, first 20 minutes or so he was finding it hard to adjust his game, but with the help of those around him, particularly Ampadu , Rodon and Pascal, he came through with head held high.
Any number of players were worthy of MOM for their displays, they were that impressive, I don't think Ampadu was in my top 6 for the first time this season, staggering really, well done boys, hopefully the boss has seen why Rodon is well in front of Cooper in the pecking order, hats off to Glen Kamara as well for his performance, breaking up just about everything bristol tried.
Rutter was seen with an ice pack on his knee after the game so perhaps he was taken off as a precautionary measure.

Would it have been better to run him into the ground until he was injured and couldn't play.

I think Farke knows how to manage his assets better than any of us.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Sean_Nile wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:06 am Rutter was seen with an ice pack on his knee after the game so perhaps he was taken off as a precautionary measure.

Would it have been better to run him into the ground until he was injured and couldn't play.

I think Farke knows how to manage his assets better than any of us.
Thats a bit below the belt, do you honestly think thats what I'd prefer, I'd expect a comment like that from people with less intellect than yourself.
Yes Farke does know better, but even he is prone to mistakes.
Did anyone including Farke know at the time he needed an ice pack and was taken off as a precautionary, or was he simply taking him off to shoehorn bamford on AGAIN!!
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:49 am Thats a bit below the belt, do you honestly think thats what I'd prefer, I'd expect a comment like that from people with less intellect than yourself.
Did anyone including Farke know at the time he needed an ice pack and was taken off as a precautionary, or was he simply taking him off to shoehorn bamford on AGAIN!!
DF has to play his squad and give players minutes. Bamford is a senior player in the squad and at this level, despite the fact he divides opinion he needs to be ready to play and hopefully make an impact if we have a run of injuries. To discard him as ‘yesterdays man’ could bite us on the arse, if - when he is needed he is out of shape, match fitness and sharpness.
Ideally, we would have a better replacement but he is not a bad bench player at this level. Bamford’s finishing has always been inconsistent but he is rarely anonymous during games and is a good outlet.
The game should have been put to bed before he came on, that would be the ideal situation for his introduction as he can play with more freedom and less pressure.

Personally, I thought his body language yesterday was best described as sulky. But he has been the focus of consistent negativity and bile for quite a period of time from large sections of the fanbase and more recently external entities as a result of the QPR incident.

How he now responds to not been starter for the first time since he arrived at the club will be a test of his character. But I am not writing him off for this season. If we go up I would be astonished if he is with us next season.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:49 am Thats a bit below the belt, do you honestly think thats what I'd prefer, I'd expect a comment like that from people with less intellect than yourself.
Perhaps it is a question of everyone has a interpretation of events to suit their own agenda.

If someone has little respect for Bamford then they construe that he is being shoehorned into the team... even the word shoehorn suggests that it is an awkward and bad fit... and it has to be forced into place.

If on the otherhard someone is glad that after all the injuries that Bamford has had he is gently being integrated back into the team. They can be happy for him.

Rutter if he misses a sitter is forgiven because he is the flavour of the month, and everybodies darling.

Bamford however has the stigma of many misses over the whole of his Leeds career and for that he can not be forgiven, forgetfull of all the glorious goals he has scored.

I would like to remember him scoring a hatrick against Villa, and being surrounded by four players still being able to put the ball in the net... I wonder if that is where Rutter got his inspiration from when he scored a similar goal... if Bamford can do it then I can do it too.

In this forum there seems to be a lot of for and against Rutter/Piroe, Gray/Kamara, Rodon/ Cooper, James/Anthony and those kind of arguments are devicive because fans will all have different opinions and they view their own opinion as being the only correct one.

If only we could think of a team as being made up of interaction and communication between the players... developing an understanding of how our teammates will play, each player aware of a teammates strengths and playing to them.

Not a single star shinning, that when it is extinguished the light goes out of the team... but some Bielsa brilliance that shines and glows beyond our wildest expectations, that even we can not believe what we are seeing.

A cohesive team that plays better than the sum of its parts.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Sean_Nile wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:55 pm Perhaps it is a question of everyone has a interpretation of events to suit their own agenda.

If someone has little respect for Bamford then they construe that he is being shoehorned into the team... even the word shoehorn suggests that it is an awkward and bad fit... and it has to be forced into place.

If on the otherhard someone is glad that after all the injuries that Bamford has had he is gently being integrated back into the team. They can be happy for him.

Rutter if he misses a sitter is forgiven because he is the flavour of the month, and everybodies darling.

Bamford however has the stigma of many misses over the whole of his Leeds career and for that he can not be forgiven, forgetfull of all the glorious goals he has scored.

I would like to remember him scoring a hatrick against Villa, and being surrounded by four players still being able to put the ball in the net... I wonder if that is where Rutter got his inspiration from when he scored a similar goal... if Bamford can do it then I can do it too.

In this forum there seems to be a lot of for and against Rutter/Piroe, Gray/Kamara, Rodon/ Cooper, James/Anthony and those kind of arguments are devicive because fans will all have different opinions and they view their own opinion as being the only correct one.

If only we could think of a team as being made up of interaction and communication between the players... developing an understanding of how our teammates will play, each player aware of a teammates strengths and playing to them.

Not a single star shinning, that when it is extinguished the light goes out of the team... but some Bielsa brilliance that shines and glows beyond our wildest expectations, that even we can not believe what we are seeing.

Not that it is my right to mark your post, but it is my perceived prerogative.

A+

The paragraph on Bielsa brought a tear to my eye. Thank you.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

DDB220 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:32 pm DF has to play his squad and give players minutes. Bamford is a senior player in the squad and at this level, despite the fact he divides opinion he needs to be ready to play and hopefully make an impact if we have a run of injuries. To discard him as ‘yesterdays man’ could bite us on the arse, if - when he is needed he is out of shape, match fitness and sharpness.
Ideally, we would have a better replacement but he is not a bad bench player at this level. Bamford’s finishing has always been inconsistent but he is rarely anonymous during games and is a good outlet.
The game should have been put to bed before he came on, that would be the ideal situation for his introduction as he can play with more freedom and less pressure.

Personally, I thought his body language yesterday was best described as sulky. But he has been the focus of consistent negativity and bile for quite a period of time from large sections of the fanbase and more recently external entities as a result of the QPR incident.

How he now responds to not been starter for the first time since he arrived at the club will be a test of his character. But I am not writing him off for this season. If we go up I would be astonished if he is with us next season.
Indeed he has, Joe Gelhardt for instance, but poor Joe can't get a look in because we are persistent with bamford.
I don't mind bamford being a sub, and agree he'll still have a part to play, what I said was " shoehorn bamford in again" was there really a need to replace rutter, if so why not add Joe and drop him a little deeper.!!
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Sean_Nile wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:55 pm Perhaps it is a question of everyone has a interpretation of events to suit their own agenda.

My only agenda is to see LUFC successful.

My I remind you that was behind closed doors when he had his purple patch.

I have said it before and I'll say it again for those unwilling to appreciate what I post and wanting to put their own twist on things, I realise the need for bamford to get game time, I also think he will have part to play this season, how big depends on him staying injury free and how much the manager picks him.
I don't give a shite what you or anyone thinks about him " looking good and holding the ball up well " I want a CF to score goals.
I don't like bamford, but, I do give credit where it's due.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:14 pm Indeed he has, Joe Gelhardt for instance, but poor Joe can't get a look in because we are persistent with bamford.
I don't mind bamford being a sub, and agree he'll still have a part to play, what I said was " shoehorn bamford in again" was there really a need to replace rutter, if so why not add Joe and drop him a little deeper.!!
I do feel sorry for Joffy at the minute, unfortunately for him he will only be selected after our current four attackers, also Bamford and Poveda, Anthony and Gnonto when fit. Joffy is a long way down that list.

Then there is Joseph...... He was another who showed he was above U21 level, it is alo why I do not worry of teams come with their open chequebooks in January looking for Summerville and Gnonto. We have an embarrasment of riches, it is just about finding the correct balance.

I wonder if Joffy can get a loan club in the window, as his development has stalled this last season.
I really think he could be a good un for us. However we dont see him in training.

Re Bamford.

Thing is the DF sets us up, Bamford is perfect for the way he plays and having him around will not hinder the teams progress one bit.

Re the subs.
DF needs to develop fitness in his team, which is why we saw Bamford yesterday.

He also undertands how fatigue builds up in a player over the season and how players take longer to return to match fitness the more they play.

We are only a quarter of the way in and he wants those players be to able to perform come the later months of the season.

Rutter and Piroe already look like key players for us, and need protecting. DF also knows that there is no need chasing a game we have already won.

But yeah a few miuntes for Joffy would be good to see
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

What i've come to realise about here on MOT and why we have a fcking load of arguments, is because more than half here haven't a fcking clue what they're talking about re - footy, once you realise and accept that like me, it instantly becomes more bearable.

No need :tup:

Must dash.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Watching a replay of the match now.

Rodon made five defensive headers in the first 13 minutes. Byram & Gray two each with Struijk making two defensive clearances.

We had to defend well in the early stages of the game.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:51 pm Watching a replay of the match now.

Rodon made five defensive headers in the first 13 minutes. Byram & Gray two each with Struijk making two defensive clearances.

Yes and they tried to come at us like Soton did, so they were either not as good as Soton at it, or DF's done summert.

Take ur pick.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:51 pm Watching a replay of the match now.

Hence why I picked those 4 out of the 6 for my MOM, even if some don't think I know what I'm on abart :roll:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Also, Byram's push in the back of Dickie looked a stonewall penalty.

Got away with that one!
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:39 pm I do feel sorry for Joffy at the minute, unfortunately for him he will only be selected after our current four attackers, also Bamford and Poveda, Anthony and Gnonto when fit. Joffy is a long way down that list.

Then there is Joseph...... He was another who showed he was above U21 level, it is alo why I do not worry of teams come with their open chequebooks in January looking for Summerville and Gnonto. We have an embarrasment of riches, it is just about finding the correct balance.

I wonder if Joffy can get a loan club in the window, as his development has stalled this last season.
I really think he could be a good un for us. However we dont see him in training.

Re Bamford.

Thing is the DF sets us up, Bamford is perfect for the way he plays and having him around will not hinder the teams progress one bit.

Re the subs.
DF needs to develop fitness in his team, which is why we saw Bamford yesterday.

He also undertands how fatigue builds up in a player over the season and how players take longer to return to match fitness the more they play.

We are only a quarter of the way in and he wants those players be to able to perform come the later months of the season.

Rutter and Piroe already look like key players for us, and need protecting. DF also knows that there is no need chasing a game we have already won.

But yeah a few miuntes for Joffy would be good to see
Yea, I appreciate that Ian, and agree, we do have a glut of rich talent, like you say, IF, teams come calling with the right amount, I'm not overly bothered if some go.
It's been a long long time since we've had this amount of quality in depth and there's more to come in when they're fit.
I just can't help feel we don't really need to keep making the subs, yesterday definately killed our momentum in the forward line, but I'm not the one needing to keep them all happy.
Pullhard
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Pullhard »

Bamford clearly needs minutes
If Piroe gets injured or hits some bad form, we will be thankful that Bamford is getting game time now.
When Rodrigo got injured last season we had no options … don’t want James through the middle again
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:31 pm Hence why I picked those 4 out of the 6 for my MOM, even if some don't think I know what I'm on abart :roll:
The whole back four were immense, Mental.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

DDB220 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:32 pm DF has to play his squad and give players minutes. Bamford is a senior player in the squad and at this level, despite the fact he divides opinion he needs to be ready to play and hopefully make an impact if we have a run of injuries. To discard him as ‘yesterdays man’ could bite us on the arse, if - when he is needed he is out of shape, match fitness and sharpness.

Maybe so. He looked a lot livelier last game. Maybe it's because he only got 10 minutes and was hoping for another 30+ minute run out.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:14 pm Indeed he has, Joe Gelhardt for instance, but poor Joe can't get a look in because we are persistent with bamford.
Gelhardt did get a decent chance early last season when Bamford was injured. But he didn't take it. He had a lot of promise at the end of the 21/22 season. But 22/23 was a disappointment. Obviously needs to do something more to make it to the next level. We still need Bamford.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Bristol City Match Thread

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Jaydog wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:01 am No idea Ash. I don’t have the legs or face to compete with Georgi & Wilson. Wasn’t that the football in Castaway. Wilson, Wilson, Wilson oooh Wilson.
At least Pascal lost the ponytail--makes him a little less swashbuckling. I think you're right about the ball, but if I'm not mistaken it was a volleyball--now that's something I might be able to complete with :oops:

Tell your wife the next time she mentions "Wilson" this is all she gets for Christmas:

In Farke we trust...
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

I've been in the middle of my move to Arizona this week. It seems I've missed a couple of nice wins. Can't comment on the substance because I've not watched them. But I'll take 6 points all day long. Looking forward to getting back into the mix here after the International break. MOT!!
Football/Futbol/Soccer