Joe Rodon

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Joe Rodon

Post by 1964white »

Even when it seems we don't have to defend so much, our rock at the back gets through so much work

9 defensive headers
5 interceptions
5 decent passes
2 runs into the opposition's half, which started the moves for two of our goals
2 ball recoveries
1 defensive clearance
1 tackle
1 block

Big Joe & Ampadu make defending look so easy & comfortable.

Another clean sheet for our new CB pairing.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:25 pm Even when it seems we don't have to defend so much, our rock at the back gets through so much work

9 defensive headers
5 interceptions
5 decent passes
2 ball recoveries
1 defensive clearance
1 tackle
1 block

I thought he was immense again. Big reason why there aren't many shots at goal.

You should add into the stats the terrible foul by Hugill that got a yellow and should have been red
1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:35 pm I thought he was immense again. Big reason why there aren't many shots at goal.

You should add into the stats the terrible foul by Hugill that got a yellow and should have been red
I did mention the thug's horrible challenge on the match day thread.

It's so reassuring when I'm stood behind him, watching from the kop, I don't feel nervous when we are having to defend, any more.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:25 pm Even when it seems we don't have to defend so much, our rock at the back gets through so much work

9 defensive headers
5 interceptions
5 decent passes
2 ball recoveries
1 defensive clearance
1 tackle
1 block

The bit you put in the bold is most telling. Good centrebacks do so much stuff that goes unnoticed because they anticipate well, make simple clearances by getting to the ball first etc Often bad centrebacks look busier and as such look better because they don't anticipate or are a second or two late and as such they end up having to make a crucial 'goal saving' tackle.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:27 pm The bit you put in the bold is most telling. Good centrebacks do so much stuff that goes unnoticed because they anticipate well, make simple clearances by getting to the ball first etc Often bad centrebacks look busier and as such look better because they don't anticipate or are a second or two late and as such they end up having to make a crucial 'goal saving' tackle.
Totally agree :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Superb again last night. Joe won everything that was thrown at him.

His pass that split open Swansea's midfield to Piroe who in turn played a one-two with Gnonto for our second goal
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

1964white wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:49 pm Superb again last night. Joe won everything that was thrown at him.

His pass that split open Swansea's midfield to Piroe who in turn played a one-two with Gnonto for our second goal
That's why we need to sign him before someone else comes in. From the sale of sinisterra we should be able to afford him. Otherwise he will go back to spurs
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Scoobychief wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:56 pm That's why we need to sign him before someone else comes in. From the sale of sinisterra we should be able to afford him. Otherwise he will go back to spurs
Spurs will want to offload Rodon.

I'm pretty sure negotiations will be in place now.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

1964white wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:03 pm Spurs will want to offload Rodon.

I'm pretty sure negotiations will be in place now.
Going to Levy now and we are effectively saying name your price. We will get him if we get promoted. As much as Joe loves it here there is no guarantee he would want to sign to play another year in the Championship- he is aware he has prem interest whatever happens this season.

So the must sign him now argument is pointless. We do not hold all the aces…………. Currently
1964white

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:45 pm Going to Levy now and we are effectively saying name your price. We will get him if we get promoted. As much as Joe loves it here there is no guarantee he would want to sign to play another year in the Championship- he is aware he has prem interest whatever happens this season.

So the must sign him now argument is pointless. We do not hold all the aces…………. Currently
As was the case with Ben White.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:56 pm As was the case with Ben White.
Huge difference with Ben White was that Brighton weren't looking to offload him. Brighton lent him to us but were not looking to sell. Spurs were looking to sell and presumably would if we had the money to spend or if any other club wanted to buy him.

White went back to Brighton as a young player, on a lengthy contract. Rodon will go back to Spurs with one year left on his contract. Yes Rodon's reputation has gone up but he will be 27 (I think) and unproven in the prem. White was unproven in the prem but was a lot younger and was on a continual upward trend having stepped up the levels seamlessly. White could have signed for any of the 'big' teams (albeit not likely to go straight into their starting line-ups) whereas Rodon at best, even with his excellent season, is unlikely to be getting offers from the 'big' teams and is more likely to be getting offers from mid to lower prem teams - of which hopefully we will be one. You would hope that as a prem side we could agree a fee with Spurs (would think around £15m or less) and that Rodon would hopefully want to come to us.

I think he has got better and better as the season progressed. I don't see any real weaknesses in his game which is saying a lot.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:34 pm Huge difference with Ben White was that Brighton weren't looking to offload him. Brighton lent him to us but were not looking to sell. Spurs were looking to sell and presumably would if we had the money to spend or if any other club wanted to buy him.

White went back to Brighton as a young player, on a lengthy contract. Rodon will go back to Spurs with one year left on his contract. Yes Rodon's reputation has gone up but he will be 27 (I think) and unproven in the prem. White was unproven in the prem but was a lot younger and was on a continual upward trend having stepped up the levels seamlessly. White could have signed for any of the 'big' teams (albeit not likely to go straight into their starting line-ups) whereas Rodon at best, even with his excellent season, is unlikely to be getting offers from the 'big' teams and is more likely to be getting offers from mid to lower prem teams - of which hopefully we will be one. You would hope that as a prem side we could agree a fee with Spurs (would think around £15m or less) and that Rodon would hopefully want to come to us.

I think he has got better and better as the season progressed. I don't see any real weaknesses in his game which is saying a lot.
Yes, Joe has improved under Farke's guidance, as is the case with the majority of our squad.

I reckon we'll be in a strong position to sign Rodon, if we are promoted. At 27yo, he is a good age for a CB, generally coming into their prime at that age.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:58 am Yes, Joe has improved under Farke's guidance, as is the case with the majority of our squad.

I reckon we'll be in a strong position to sign Rodon, if we are promoted. At 27yo, he is a good age for a CB, generally coming into their prime at that age.
I think that is a key point that many fans don't pay enough attention to when they talk about how Farke is doing. It is all well and good saying we have a squad that is 'too strong for the championship' etc but it is very easy for players to underperform and suddenly a team looks completely different. MU have spent over £1bn on their team but do they gel together and work their balls off in the same way that Man City do?

We got relegated with the likes of Viduka, Kewell, Smith, Robinson, etc
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Waine, Devine, Hardie & Whittaker hardly got a kick.

Morgan who?

20excellent moments of play
Joe's defensive work inside the box was immense, clearances, tackle, blocks, passes & one run to set-up one of our attacks.

3 poor moments of play
Caught napping with a couple of ventures outside our box.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Rodon's weakest performance of the season.

Even so, he was a 7/10 rating for me

19 very good moments including:
5 defensive headers
4 tackles

7 poor moments
2 lost his marker

The concern is Joe will have to face tough opposition like Leicester in the Premier League every game next season, hopefully it was a one-off type of game for Rodon. I do think both full-backs were below par which didn't help our CBs.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Strangely I thought Joe had a good game, lovely run early for the Piroe chance, better in defence. It was slightly below performances from Gruev and Kamara that gave The Foxes a lot of room to play in...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:54 pm Strangely I thought Joe had a good game, lovely run early for the Piroe chance, better in defence. It was slightly below performances from Gruev and Kamara that gave The Foxes a lot of room to play in...
Joe did have a good game, not an 8, 9 or 10 rating he has received previously.

We'd have conceded more than one goal without Rodon, Ampadu & Meslier of course!
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:40 pm Joe did have a good game, not an 8, 9 or 10 rating he has received previously.

We'd have conceded more than one goal without Rodon, Ampadu & Meslier of course!
Yeah 8 v 11 would have been tough.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:49 pm Yeah 8 v 11 would have been tough.
Great maths. You have a calculator near the armchair I imagine
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:51 pm Great maths. You have a calculator near the armchair I imagine
Great imagination but sadly I have no armchair.