Gigs (not that one!)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
mentalcase

Re: Gigs (not that one!)

Post by mentalcase »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:46 am So is that listening to Pink Floyd CD's by candlelight or a tribute band? Either way sounds a great way to spend and evening

50 Years of Pink Floyd - Performed by Candlelight Strings
They won't be appearing either, like Vivaldi ;-)
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

mentalcase wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:56 am 50 Years of Pink Floyd - Performed by Candlelight Strings
They won't be appearing either, like Vivaldi ;-)
Ahh ok, get it now
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
hector

Post by hector »

I'm seeing a Floyd tribute band called All Floyd in September
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

hector wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:08 pm I'm seeing a Floyd tribute band called All Floyd in September
I've probably seen five or six different Floyd tributes. Still think the Australians are the best, but even that doesn't compare to Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets (whom I've seen three times).
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Jeffrey Lewis is touring. Saw him at Hebden Trades last time. Probably go to Bedford Esquires this time around.
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Has anyone ever seen anything at the Royal Exchange Theatre in Manchester ? Seems to be mainly used for theatre but I seen The Slow Show there in 2018, prob the weirdest set up for a gig ever. Circular & only 2 rows deep and I think only 3 levels so you’re practically on top of the band. Brilliant place.
Keeping The Faith
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:05 pm Has anyone ever seen anything at the Royal Exchange Theatre in Manchester ? Seems to be mainly used for theatre but I seen The Slow Show there in 2018, prob the weirdest set up for a gig ever. Circular & only 2 rows deep and I think only 3 levels so you’re practically on top of the band. Brilliant place.
Been to a few venues in Manchester, but don't know that one..,
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sara wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:24 pm I've probably seen five or six different Floyd tributes. Still think the Australians are the best, but even that doesn't compare to Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets (whom I've seen three times).
I like the women who dress up in black leather mini skirts, Basques, stockings and high heels while covering Pink Floyd

Astronomy Dominatrix I think they're called
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:23 pm I like the women who dress up in black leather mini skirts, Basques, stockings and high heels while covering Pink Floyd

Astronomy Dominatrix I think they're called
Is that a thing, or a figment... I'll have to check now....
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Hmmm, not what I was expecting... some bloke wanking a stratocaster:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7jzRH3tCi7k
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sara wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:17 pm Is that a thing, or a figment... I'll have to check now....
Absolutely tongue in cheek .. Imagine my surprise. Think it's a missed opportunity tbh

Cover bands that should exist
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:56 am Absolutely tongue in cheek .. Imagine my surprise. Think it's a missed opportunity tbh

Cover bands that should exist
There's a definite gap in the market there!
Muppet the Cat

Gigs (not that one!)

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Allah-Las at The Fleece in Bristol, last night :tup:

5E4801B0-0471-47C6-B60D-A53A9C50B83F.jpeg
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Wishbone Ash - Derby Flowerpot

50th anniversary of the 1973 Live Dates album. Excellent, as always. Still the best live guitar sound.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Pink Floyd, amazing orchestra
20230903_200855.jpg
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Sara wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:32 am Wishbone Ash - Derby Flowerpot

50th anniversary of the 1973 Live Dates album. Excellent, as always. Still the best live guitar sound.
My favourite guitar band of the early 70s, :bear: saw them many times in their pomp, Wishbone are brilliant live!

Love the twin-guitar sound of Andy Powell & Ted Turner, Andy with his flowing blonde hair, he is now bald as a coot 8-)
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:16 am My favourite guitar band of the early 70s, :bear: saw them many times in their pomp, Wishbone are brilliant live!

Love the twin-guitar sound of Andy Powell & Ted Turner, Andy with his flowing blonde hair, he is now bald as a coot 8-)
Andy Powell has the best live guitar tone I've ever heard, and I'm a lifelong nerd for these things. His current foil, Mark Abrahams, is also very good.

Here he is talking about his relationship with the Flying V:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytg3HAg-F-o
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Incidentally, Dan Eccles from Richmond Fontaine is also up there with the best.
hector

Post by hector »

1964white wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:16 am My favourite guitar band of the early 70s, :bear: saw them many times in their pomp, Wishbone are brilliant live!

Stop gloating mop top :P
TonyT
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by TonyT »

Saw Coldplay at Wembley, brilliant. However my favourite gigs were all in the mid to late sixties. I saw the Stones a few times, the free concert in Hyde Park was really good. I saw the Yardbirds, firstly with Clapton and then a couple of years later with Page. I much preferred Jimmy Page. The best gig I ever went to was in late 1964 at the Marquee Club. It was a band I'd not heard of until then. The Who. It was a few months before they released My Generation. That was the most exciting gig I've ever been to. The cost of replacing their instruments must have been far more than they were making. Their version of Smokestack Lightning remains the best version I've ever heard.