Gigs (not that one!)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Re: Gigs (not that one!)

Post by Clacton White »

Haven't been to a gig for a few years now , a bit sparse down my neck of the woods and certainly don't want to trek anywhere near London. Bands I have seen over the years , mostly in Brum....
Stranglers, Clash , Dead Kennedys, GBH , Discharge, UK Subs, Anti Pasti , Spizz, Drongos ,Dropkick Murphys , Sex Pistols ,Gary Numan, Killing Joke, Taxi Girl.... probably forgotten some on that list too .
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

IMG_0701.JPG
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Your Dark Horses date ?…………….Good ?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Got 3 in a week - Dinosaur Jr, Sergio Mendes and Big Star
BradWhite
First Team
First Team

Post by BradWhite »

I went to see Death Cult, an early rendition of The Cult at the Foundry in Sheffield last week they were fantastic.

Tonight a Bowie tribute in Halifax (got roped into this as I hate tribute acts)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:03 am Your Dark Horses date ?…………….Good ?
Fantastic... my kind of thing for sure. Very small, basically former garages under Brighton Station. Music was stunningly good, and I love a good bassist and this one was top draw..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Glad you enjoyed 🙂

Always nice when a gig meets or exceeds expectations.

(I do like the Lucy and Gulliver track from WWWS)
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

BradWhite wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:13 pm I went to see Death Cult, an early rendition of The Cult at the Foundry in Sheffield last week they were fantastic.

There are no doubt plenty of duff ones doing the rounds, Brad.....but I've seen some really good ones, which have been a cracking night and well worth the £15-20 ticket.
hector

Post by hector »

I saw a Bowie tribute a few years back... he was called the Jean Genie

very good as it happens
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:51 pm Glad you enjoyed 🙂

Always nice when a gig meets or exceeds expectations.

(I do like the Lucy and Gulliver track from WWWS)
Played that... whole album is excellent, as is Hail Lucid State, which I picked up last night, off Anastasia Zio.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

BradWhite wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:13 pm I went to see Death Cult, an early rendition of The Cult at the Foundry in Sheffield last week they were fantastic.

Is that the Bowie experience at the civic hall.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Saw Death Cult in Belfast last Monday night. Great gig, but possibly the coldest indoor gig I've ever been to. Held in an old newspaper warehouse, you could literally see your own breath. Astbury still in great voice, but that accent......??!!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
BradWhite
First Team
First Team

Post by BradWhite »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:14 pm Is that the Bowie experience at the civic hall.
Yes, but he didn't sound like Bowie IMO, people enjoyed it and it was ok for a piece of light entertainment theatre but there are better tributes out there, his costumes were good though.

The tickets were £28 but were a gift for the wife as she is a big Bowie fan.

There is a great Doors tribute band called The Doors Alive.
BradWhite
First Team
First Team

Post by BradWhite »

lufc1304 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:59 pm Saw Death Cult in Belfast last Monday night. Great gig, but possibly the coldest indoor gig I've ever been to. Held in an old newspaper warehouse, you could literally see your own breath. Astbury still in great voice, but that accent......??!!
I don't know what it is with Ian, his accent changes with each venue he plays, he was very Yorkshire at Piece Hall with The Cult then he goes into his American/Canadian twag and went into Northern Irish on recent videos on the Death Cult tour when they played Belfast.
I know his connections are Merseyside, Canada, Bradford, London and has Irish roots.

I used to know him a bit when he lived in Bradford during his Southern Death Cult days, we'd bunk off school to watch them rehearse and we went to tons of punk gigs at a Jamaican run venue in Bradford called The Palm Cove and Ian was alway there.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

BradWhite wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:56 pm I don't know what it is with Ian, his accent changes with each venue he plays, he was very Yorkshire at Piece Hall with The Cult then he goes into his American/Canadian twag and went into Northern Irish on recent videos on the Death Cult tour when they played Belfast.
I know his connections are Merseyside, Canada, Bradford, London and has Irish roots.

I used to know him a bit when he lived in Bradford during his Southern Death Cult days, we'd bunk off school to watch them rehearse and we went to tons of punk gigs at a Jamaican run venue in Bradford called The Palm Cove and Ian was alway there.
Haha, yeah, he did do a bit of Norn Irish (which wasn't that bad, to be honest), but then the American twang would pop up. He seemed to enjoy himself and the crowd got properly into it.

Ah, good memories, mate, bet those were fun times
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

The Globe, Cardiff last night.

Uli Jon Roth - he might be 68 now, but he can still knock out a great tune on those strange looking Sky Guitars of his.

Some classic old Scorpions numbers inc. In Trance, Fly To The Rainbow, Pictured Life, We’ll Burn The Sky etc…
8DEC1356-7EFD-433D-B321-23617854B520.jpeg
36591BC7-4B05-40E9-B466-4E52F91F62F9.jpeg
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Seen the scorpions a.few times over t years
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:27 pm Seen the scorpions a.few times over t years
It's 40+ years since I last saw The Scorpions. It would have been in 1982 on the Blackout tour at Hammersmith Odeon.

I remember I was in 6th form at the time (in Lincoln) and four of us drove down in my friends Vauxhall Ventora.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Whenever I had downtime or leave I would take chance to see bands,saw loads abroad as well, normally rock /metal bands but I once saw hot chocolate (tell nobody) :shhh: the things you do to impress a girl eh
it started with a kiss
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

We're off to see a Bowie tribute act at Bridlington Spa in March.