Become a site contributor for the new season

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Become a site contributor for the new season

Post by Victor_Notts-17 »

Great to see that there are many new contributors (of which I am now one)! That can only benefit the forum :tup:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Thank you one & all :tup:
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Victor_Notts-17 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:30 pm Well I've paid my 20 so I'm gonna give more that I get for the next 12 months. Bring it :P
Time will tell, as per.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

If you haven't already checked out our stats section we have a database of every Leeds United game, season by season records, player details, head to head stats and loads more...

https://www.motforum.com/stats.php
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Just sent some dough Adam,

I've decided to have the 'Contributor' badge of honour on the thinking it may encourage others that are in a position to do so do so if they can, the more 'contributors' the better i feel.

Keep up the good work of the lunatic asylum :tup:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I want my money back.

'Site Contributors are still subject to warnings and bans as per the forum rules outlined within our FAQs'

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

No keep it, i've just noticed how striking my Bert looks with the blue contributor band beneath him :love:

;@)
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:55 pm No keep it, i've just noticed how striking my Bert looks with the blue contributor band beneath him :love:
That does look good to be fair.

The great man colour coded.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:28 pm Just sent some dough Adam,

I've decided to have the 'Contributor' badge of honour on the thinking it may encourage others that are in a position to do so do so if they can, the more 'contributors' the better i feel.

Keep up the good work of the lunatic asylum :tup:
Good advertising, Kenny.

Will make our members more aware of contributing to the site. :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Nice little badge fella's, wear it with pride.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:07 pm If you haven't already checked out our stats section we have a database of every Leeds United game, season by season records, player details, head to head stats and loads more...

https://www.motforum.com/stats.php
Great informative stats, section. :tup:
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

Hope the fund raising went well.
There Is Only One United.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

billysboots wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:50 pm Hope the fund raising went well.
You have smart new badge, Billy
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

😊👍
There Is Only One United.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I think it's a brilliant idea to contribute, i don't have the foggiest about what it takes to run a site like this, but to contribute £20 a year towards whatever is a no brainer to me personally.

In fact Adam ( and i'm not looking for a breakdown of any costs or owt) i'm just curious about what's involved in running something like this, are you a computer geek/wizard, do things breakdown that need fixing, i have absolutely no idea how an internet site runs, domain things or owt like that i'm completely clueless, how did you actually set it up ?

I'm not looking for anything else other than curiosity reasons, tell me to fck off if you want.

;@)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Was just thinking about this ^ Adam. Are you actually out of pocket per annum? Should really be all covered by users but I’m not paying for the Maldives unless I’m invited
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:48 pm I think it's a brilliant idea to contribute, i don't have the foggiest about what it takes to run a site like this, but to contribute £20 a year towards whatever is a no brainer to me personally.

In fact Adam ( and i'm not looking for a breakdown of any costs or owt) i'm just curious about what's involved in running something like this, are you a computer geek/wizard, do things breakdown that need fixing, i have absolutely no idea how an internet site runs, domain things or owt like that i'm completely clueless, how did you actually set it up ?

I'm not looking for anything else other than curiosity reasons, tell me to fck off if you want.
Is this invitation open to everyone, if so then f**k off.
Just kidding geezer
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Looks like he already has done, tut tut.

;@)
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

For the forum to function we need a few things:

Domain names e.g. motforum.com and motforum.co.uk. We’ve got four domain names in total which all need renewing each year.

Hosting. The servers which host the site and our databases. We have enterprise level hosting to guarantee the uptime we need and to be able to cope with the peaks in demand when there is breaking news or the match day threads. The site uses quite a lot of database connections which means we’ve had to upgrade the hosting as we’ve got busier over the years.

Backup storage. The site is backed up four times a day by our host but we have additional cloud storage to retain backups of the site unless anything happens to our host.

Forum software. The software we use, phpbb, is free but the template we use is based on a paid for template which was paid for and we pay maintenance for.

IFTTT. This app allows us to to run applets which post our forum topics and news stories to Twitter and Facebook. We used to be able to get away with the free version until Elon bought Twitter. Now he charges for API access so we have to pay for the Pro version of IFTTT.

Random costs. Thinks like new smilie libraries, bits of code to add functionality or bring the site up to date may need licensing.

The ads have generally covered costs over the years but despite the site getting busier, ad revenues have gone down. That’s the market. You’ll see that from the YEP website where you get about 100 ads just to read one article. They seem to have sharply dipped to bee the last 12 months and where we used to aim for around £2 per day, it’s around 25-40% of that now. Introducing pop-up or interstitial ads would increase ad revenue again but they are fairly impacting on the browsing experience.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:25 pm For the forum to function we need a few things:

Domain names e.g. motforum.com and motforum.co.uk. We’ve got four domain names in total which all need renewing each year.

Hosting. The servers which host the site and our databases. We have enterprise level hosting to guarantee the uptime we need and to be able to cope with the peaks in demand when there is breaking news or the match day threads. The site uses quite a lot of database connections which means we’ve had to upgrade the hosting as we’ve got busier over the years.

Backup storage. The site is backed up four times a day by our host but we have additional cloud storage to retain backups of the site unless anything happens to our host.

Forum software. The software we use, phpbb, is free but the template we use is based on a paid for template which was paid for and we pay maintenance for.

IFTTT. This app allows us to to run applets which post our forum topics and news stories to Twitter and Facebook. We used to be able to get away with the free version until Elon bought Twitter. Now he charges for API access so we have to pay for the Pro version of IFTTT.

Random costs. Thinks like new smilie libraries, bits of code to add functionality or bring the site up to date may need licensing.

The ads have generally covered costs over the years but despite the site getting busier, ad revenues have gone down. That’s the market. You’ll see that from the YEP website where you get about 100 ads just to read one article. They seem to have sharply dipped to bee the last 12 months and where we used to aim for around £2 per day, it’s around 25-40% of that now. Introducing pop-up or interstitial ads would increase ad revenue again but they are fairly impacting on the browsing experience.
Hope that means more to others than it does to me :oops: :oops: :oops:
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello