Ethan Ampadu

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Ethan Ampadu

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2023-07-19 12.17.29.png

Whites secure Wales international.

Leeds United are delighted to announce the signing Ethan Ampadu, in a permanent transfer.

The versatile defender, who can also operate in midfield, joins the club from Chelsea for an undisclosed fee.

The 22-year-old has penned a four-year deal at Elland Road, running until the summer of 2027.

Ampadu came through the ranks with Exeter City and became the youngest ever player to play for their first team, making his debut at the age of 15, in August 2016.

After making 13 appearances for the Grecians, in the summer of 2017 he was snapped up by Premier League side Chelsea and went on to make his debut in the EFL Cup against Nottingham Forest in September of the same year.

Two months later, at the age of 17, Ampadu made his full international debut for Wales, against France.

Over the past four seasons, he has spent time away from Chelsea on loan, firstly with RB Leipzig in the German Bundesliga.

He returned to England with Sheffield United for the 2021/22 campaign, featuring 25 times for the Blades in the Premier League.

In the last two campaigns, Ampadu has made 60 appearances in Italy’s Serie A, for Venezia and Spezia.

At international level, following his debut back in 2017, Ampadu has gone on to amass a total of 44 caps for his country.

He played a key role as Wales qualified for UEFA Euro 2020 and helped the Dragons make history, when in June 2022, they qualified for the FIFA World Cup for the first time since 1958.

Ampadu played three times in UEFA Euro 2020, helping Wales reach the last 16 of the tournament, whilst in Qatar at the FIFA World Cup 2022, also made three outings.

He becomes the club’s first signing of the summer transfer window and could feature for the first time in Saturday’s pre-season friendly with AS Monaco at the LNER Community Stadium.
1964white

Re: Ethan Ampadu - Becomes our first signing of the season.

Post by 1964white »

New signing shares thoughts on joining the club.

Leeds United have confirmed the signing of Ethan Ampadu, who has joined the club from Premier League side Chelsea on a four-year contract.

Ampadu arrives at Elland Road with plenty of top-flight experience across Europe, as well as having over 40 international caps with Wales to his name.

The 22-year-old has had a number of loan spells in his career so far, but he is now excited to have a permanent home, working under Daniel Farke, who he was impressed by immediately.

“I think as a club, the history doesn’t have to be sold,” Ampadu told LUTV.

“Everyone knows how big of a club Leeds United is. Obviously we are now in the position we are, but we all want more.

“When I spoke with the boss [Daniel Farke], as soon as I got off the phone call I knew what I wanted, he really impressed me.

“He told me what he liked about me and where he thinks I can improve as a player.

“That all helped me choose Leeds United.”

Farke wasn’t the only one to give Ethan a warm welcome, with the Welsh international also knowing Tyler Adams well from his time in Germany and receiving words of encouragement from supporters following speculation.

Ampadu said: “Tyler and I got on well [at RB Leipzig].

“When the interest was there, I gave him a message and we spoke a little bit. He couldn’t speak highly enough about the club. He’s a good friend and we have always stayed in touch.

“I have also seen a lot of the positive messages that I have received, so thank you to everyone.

“I am very excited this has happened and for the project ahead.”

Having played different roles in his early career, Ampadu now adds more versatility to the side, with the ability to play both defensive midfield or at the heart of the defence.

“For me, I am comfortable playing in both positions,” he stated.

“I know I have to improve in both, so wherever the boss needs me I am happy to play, but I am comfortable in both.

“I’m just raring to go now.”
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Nice of us to let him wear a Chelsea shirt to make him feel at home.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Don't be s**t, please. That is all.
Ben Scooby lufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ben Scooby lufc »

Looks quite good. He's made lots of appearances for club and country! Good luck to him at leeds utd.
;-) Yeboah against Liverpool :!: :!: Crossbar and in. :love: :love:
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Based on the standard of players we will be able to sign this summer, this looks a decent signing.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
BradWhite
First Team
First Team

Post by BradWhite »

Welcome to Leeds Ethan.

Who's next?

Darlow?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Welcome Ethan.

Phil in his Athletic article has said its expected that Ampadu du du will play in the Oliver Skipp type role (as I said clever Cjay).
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

“I am very excited this has happened and for the project ahead.”

Speaks volumes to me and DF is selling the project to those he wants, not to those he dosen't which is great, hopefully TA will stay and integrate EA .
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

They've been very careful on who they focus on in these social media videos :duno:

Generally players they know will stay, Gelhardt, Rutter, so is it significant they highlighted (or rather they let Ethan highlight) Tyler Adams?
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:57 am Welcome Ethan.

Phil in his Athletic article has said its expected that Ampadu du du will play in the Oliver Skipp type role (as I said clever Cjay).
Sorry, to steal your thunder, Cjay as the new players threads are generally your baby.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:03 pm Sorry, to steal your thunder, Cjay as the new players threads are generally your baby.
It's not an issue Leon.

It just means I dont have to do it :)

Suits me

Although didn't he already have a thread? Thinking about it :duno:
Signed

King Cjay

Tighthead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Tighthead »

Ethan, welcome to Leeds United, hope you have a successful time with us.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

SaraM wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:37 am Don't be s**t, please. That is all.
I know, right? My sentiments exactly.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
fatherofnight
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by fatherofnight »

My Grandson is a S******** U** fan, his Dad is from there, I tried to turn him but failed miserably. I watched Ampadu whilst he played for them maybe half a dozen times, he was outstanding, best player on the field, imo of course. I think we may have got a real player for a change. Good luck Ethan, welcome to LUFC.
geronimo
First Team
First Team
Twitter: none

Post by geronimo »

:probably be coopers understudy :roflmao:
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

geronimo wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:27 pm :probably be coopers understudy :roflmao:
As long as it aint forshaws
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

“Debut for Exeter City at 15. Looked like a worldy. Never really found his position. Wales play him holding midfield. But likely best as at centre half baller. Probably lacks technical ability in the middle at high level. 50+ caps at 22 years old. Needs stability to kick on having stints at Leipzig and 2 lower serie A clubs.”

The above is from my brother in law. He’s Welsh.
I like the bit at the end. Stability 😂
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

geronimo wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:27 pm :probably be coopers understudy :roflmao:
Doubtful as he is right footed. At present would be thinking the left sided spot is between Wober, Coops and Struyjk and the right side between Ampadu and Cresswell, although I reckon Ampadu will initially be played in midfield and only in defence in emergency.
geronimo
First Team
First Team
Twitter: none

Post by geronimo »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:32 pm As long as it aint forshaws
it will be a toss up between cooper, forshaw, and bamford as to who ends up in the treatment room first :-D