Leeds Utd 2-1 Nottingham Forest - UNCUT VIDEO.

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Nottingham Forest Match Thread - Bamford starts, Gnonto makes the bench

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:23 pm Wonder why Javi left him on until the 92nd minute? Obviously he sees him as more than a warm body.
Because he isn't convinced by Rutter probably.

Anyway I won't argue about Bamford anymore

We won happy days

But those defending Bamford tonight are in the minority
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd 2-1 Nottingham Forest - Post Match Debate

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:12 pm It's another worthless stat, Gelhardt has had one of Gnonto's this season and Roca won't get the assist he deserves for tonight. Does Firpo get an assist for Sini's goal?
Yeah on the BBC it had Firpo getting an assist. I agree with you Roca deserves an assist for Harrison's goal far more than Firpo deserves an assist for Sini's yet won't get it.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Nottingham Forest Match Thread - Bamford starts, Gnonto makes the bench

Post by weasel »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:23 pm Wonder why Javi left him on until the 92nd minute? Obviously he sees him as more than a warm body.
I was surprised by that, prior to the match I expected that PB would liekly be subbed off for Rodrigo around the 6o minute mark. I certainly wasn't expecting to see PB given 90+ and him and Rodrigo to play together (unless the match situation saw us desperately trying to get a goal). Hopefully Bamford getting the full 90 is a big step toward him getting back to full sharpness as I hope he is still able to get back to his best and we are jsut seeing a very pale version of him at present as he gets used to trusting his body again.

Full kudos to Gracia for not simply trying to protect the lead but actually trying to get the third goal.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

So onward and upward - what does Javi change for Sunday and Palace. (Assume Wober still out?)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:37 pm As a 9 I am not Bamford’s biggest fan. He is too one footed, lacks pace particularly from a standing start and tends to be a bit static and predictable in the 6 yard box, but right now with what we have available he starts for me, work rate and intelligence is often under-rated but it is a huge part of his game and you need someone like him to create the space for runners to exploit.

If we stay up I would not lose sleep if he was replaced, but right now I think he essential.

Ayling like Cooper has to set the tone as the captain, which means being brave with the ball and trying to push the team on. They never hide and try to play progressively, you need the captain to be willing to get the mentality of the team right on the pitch. Whilst it may not always come off you need that in the team. Can be hard to watch but as a leader others follow by the example you set.

McKennie was accused by many of being over weight, that lad has one hell of an engine, he is improving within the set up game after game.

What stood out for me about Roca today was his coming out of defence with the ball on one particular occasion whilst surrounded by florist players, he took it on the chest and rather than looking to just get rid as he has a tendency to do he looked up and was trying to play a purposeful ball. Shelley managed to nick it off him, but Roca’s intent was spot on for me.

I never witnessed any panic in the team at any time and that is a huge sea change since Gracia came in, very similar to Bielsa in that we played with purpose and had a new found confidence across the team in possession.
Pretty much nails it :tup:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cjay wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:26 pm OK it's worthless

Not gonna argue

You are in the minority regarding Paddy

Had we lost today he'd have got hammered for that miss 2nd half

Or the times he didnt link play or hold the ball up

And he run a lot wouldn't come into it
Oh ffs, you think he only run a lot, jeez give me strength.

I hope you don't coach kids.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:04 pm The stat that I really hate is assists when someone gets an assist just because they were the last player to pass to the scorer. Firpo got credited an assist for Sini's goal today and it is just a joke as Sini had so much to do after he received the pass. For me an assist should only be an assist if you play the pass/cross and the player who scores basically hits it into the net fromt hat cross with a maximum of two touches (or if someone plays a great through ball for the striker to run onto and score even if they take a few touches). If a player has to get the ball and take it past a defender before shootingit isn't an assist in my eyes, nor is it an assist if you get the last touch to a player who smashes it in from 30 yards, it is all about the finish not the last pass (i.e. Wallace got the last touch towards Yeboah when he smashed it in against Liverpool for 'that' goal but it is hardly like Wallace's pass set it up on a plate for Yeboah).

Your example Faaip reminded me of a goal I scored many years back. Our striker hit a cracking shot, hit the post, went accross the line, hit the other post and rolled back to me to smash it home from inches out in the centre of the goal. Under the law of stats he'd have hit a shot off target whereas my stats were 100%, 1 shot, 1 on target,1 goal. He though was the better striker by a country mile.
Exactly this ^

And folk like Cjay will use this 'assist' for Firpo and refer to it as something extraordinaire, stuff like that is a load of old bollocks.

Imagine in a few weeks.....someone saying....."the stats don't lie, he got an assist"

Yea reet.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:01 am I was surprised by that, prior to the match I expected that PB would liekly be subbed off for Rodrigo around the 6o minute mark. I certainly wasn't expecting to see PB given 90+ and him and Rodrigo to play together (unless the match situation saw us desperately trying to get a goal). Hopefully Bamford getting the full 90 is a big step toward him getting back to full sharpness as I hope he is still able to get back to his best and we are jsut seeing a very pale version of him at present as he gets used to trusting his body again.

Full kudos to Gracia for not simply trying to protect the lead but actually trying to get the third goal.
The game PB was having i wouldn't have liked to have seen him removed at 60mins unless we were losing, i'm surprised he didn't come off around 85mins but it's got me thinking why Javi left him in there, great tactics from Javi in these last two games, speaks volumes and i'm impressed, PB was dragging and working their defense to death, well done.

Firpo didn't have a good game, he just didn't have a bad one.

Jack was great on the right, best i've seen him there (down to Javi?), like i said 'put the fcking ball down Jack and concentrate on the basics, get your own game back and stop trying to do everything' Ayling backed him up well as well.

Meslier - Not a lot to do (down to Javi?)

Defense - Not under a great deal of attack (down to Javi ?)

Sinisterra - Has a lot more to offer and more skill than Willy (can Javi find somewhere else for Willy, or use him in the same position off the bench ?) Sinisterra has the overall edge as a footballer.

Weston - Pretty solid and educated throughout.

Roca - Put in what looked like a Captains performance ( down to Javi? )

Overall a great 'team' effort - and i'm hoping it's left those benched itching to play.

Javi's team against Palace will speak volumes as well, i'm expecting much of the same if not exactly the same, but will he surprise me with a different gameplan and rest some like PB for Rodrigo and alter things slightly in formation?

All depends on the training ground and the fitness of players only he knows.

A top notch on my bedpost for Javi that one.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:01 am I was surprised by that, prior to the match I expected that PB would liekly be subbed off for Rodrigo around the 6o minute mark. I certainly wasn't expecting to see PB given 90+ and him and Rodrigo to play together (unless the match situation saw us desperately trying to get a goal). Hopefully Bamford getting the full 90 is a big step toward him getting back to full sharpness as I hope he is still able to get back to his best and we are jsut seeing a very pale version of him at present as he gets used to trusting his body again.

Kinhell how did i not see this ^

Yeah i was thinking the same....' Please keep going for the throat Javi, don't play into their hands ffs and try and see this out '

We are fcking dreadful at defending, and i'm hoping Javi knows this now, i think he does.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

'Defining week for Leeds'

With another relegation-threatened side in Crystal Palace visiting Elland Road on Sunday, this was always going to be a defining week for Leeds' season.

Their fixture list is heavily loaded with less appetising opponents in May - on paper at least - and so it was felt they must make hay in this month's five games.

This was a fine start and continued the impressive work done by Gracia since he succeeded Jesse Marsch as manager in February. He has now taken 10 points from his six games in charge.

The Spaniard is something of a chameleon in his managerial approach, adapting his tactics to the surroundings.

Having set up Leeds to contain and counter-attack without a recognised striker at Arsenal on Saturday, he unleashed more of his attacking arsenal here - understandably looking to take the game to a rival who had earned just six points on the road this season, scoring only four goals in the process.

Patrick Bamford started and proved a menace with his clever running and stubborn hold-up play. He could have scored a couple himself, pulling one glaring chance wide after a defensive mix-up.

But it was Harrison and Sinisterra either side of him who were the real stars. The close control and dribbling skills of both gave Forest all manner of trouble. They too could have added more goals to make it far more comfortable in the closing stretch for the hosts.

Behind them, Roca was superb in midfield with both his disruption of Forest and his distribution to get the home side on the front foot.

The victory, regardless of the scoreline, was fully deserved.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'm hoping from now on in Weasel you nailed it with giving a new manager just about the right amount of time left to get his ideas across and get them playing his way, Arsenal and last night showed us a lot.

Palace, Bournemouth, Fulham, Leicester, Newcastle, West Ham, Tottenham coming up, i'm hoping he's got it in his Arsenal to match these fckers and beat most

;@)
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Let's face it, a better side would've got something yesterday. We continue to waste plenty of guilt edged chances, with Bamford the usual culprit. I think for £75k a week, you need to do more than "work hard".
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

The good thing is whenever we've dropped into the bottom 3, we've won the next game. That doesn't look like a side buckling under the pressure. No doubt the media and opposition fans will try to frame it like we're "falling apart". Hopefully last year's experience will help us in the run in.
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

Between now and the end of the season, Javi will continue to pick Paddy because he has no one else to do that job.
If he had someone more reliable in front of goal who could also do what Paddy does he would play them instead.
There Is Only One United.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

I think it's just a case of Javi saying our system works a lot better with Bamford on the pitch. I'm sure we were all looking at the clock after 60 minutes and expecting Bamford to get subbed. I'd bet that Javi would have been considering that too. But, contrary to what cjay might say, there's an overall acknowledgment that we're better team with Bamford. Nobody does what he does. That he played 92 minutes tonight is a huge bonus.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

malcolmw wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:11 am So onward and upward - what does Javi change for Sunday and Palace. (Assume Wober still out?)
Wober would be the only possible change - if fit

The games are 5 days apart. So probably no precautionary changes.

Possibly Rasmus for Ayling. But Javi seems to like Ayling. And with so many injuries to key players, Ayling is our senior leader on the field.

Cases for Summerville and Gnonto to start. But no way he's benching Sinisterra or Harrison after today
/
Anyone wish we still had Klich? Seems he'd be perfect in the 10 under Javi.
hector

Post by hector »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:25 am I think it's just a case of Javi saying our system works a lot better with Bamford on the pitch. I'm sure we were all looking at the clock after 60 minutes and expecting Bamford to get subbed. I'd bet that Javi would have been considering that too. But, contrary to what cjay might say, there's an overall acknowledgment that we're better team with Bamford. Nobody does what he does. That he played 92 minutes tonight is a huge bonus.
CanI correct you there.... he played for 80 minutes, and dragged his bollocks around for the other 12 :) :)
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

SG90 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:29 am Let's face it, a better side would've got something yesterday. We continue to waste plenty of guilt edged chances, with Bamford the usual culprit. I think for £75k a week, you need to do more than "work hard".
Against better sides, like Wolves, we might have scored 4
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

hector wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:31 am CanI correct you there.... he played for 80 minutes, and dragged his bollocks around for the other 12 :) :)
Sinisterra dragged his bollox around for 60 minutes at Arsenal (and got slated for it). It won us the game today. Trust the process. There are smarter men in football than us. Javi is a much smarter man than anyone on this forum.
Bluebucket
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Bluebucket »

We all know this was a must-win game - and under Javi, we won it. Very encouraging to see us fight back after going behind, and also the improving performances of players who looked bad under Marsch. Good coaching and encouragement by Javi is leading to increasing confidence. Give that man a contract, now!
:scar1
daveol
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by daveol »

Bamford was a joke lastnight. Passing terrible, we know he can't shoot and clearly can't run. Held up the ball okay but that does not warrant a start in the team. He's clearly finished and has been for awhile. Give the 21 year old 'record' signing a run of games, no doubt he can't be worse than Paddy.