Arsenal 4-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Sinisterra, Summerville, Kristensen & Struijk Start

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

whiteinfrance wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:27 pm Ayling always has an error in him, just not up to this level

Summerville living up to the potential I always saw in him
Summerville looked top class today. He'll probably get an international call up in the summer.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Sinisterra, Summerville, Kristensen & Struijk Start

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:19 pm Nobody mentioned that without Wober we are a shambles defensively.

Wober and Koch are the only decent CBs at the club - and Koch only plays well with Wober alongside him.

All this nonsense spouted by some that it's mainly all down to ' the system ' No it's not - it's down to the quality ( or lack of without Wober ) of the defenders.
For the longest time, I always said Cooper was our 4th best defender but we were better defensively better when he played.

Wober is the full package. Top defender. Top organizer. Top leader.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Finnatic wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:07 pm Re Rasmus, it was a very non descript position
Not quite RB or RCB of a three or DM either but it sort of worked.
I was trying to figure that out the whole game. It looked like 2 right backs. They constantly switched who would be more central.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Chilli D wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:06 pm Spot on.
Dreadful defending for all the goals.
Ayling was particularly poor.
I thought Firpo was our best defender today.
Firpo looked very good today. He has grown in confidence - mostly noted by the number of times he was willing to cut inside and run with the ball. It's notable that this has been his longest run of starts. Obviously there's some ability there.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:48 pm I thought he played well as a box to box midfielder. With the number of wide options we have, I can see him playing there more often.
I'll concentrate on Jack watching a re-run tomorrow, Andrew.

Difficult to judge today as my stream was coming & going like April showers :(
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Cjay wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:01 pm Meh some good moments but ultimately the usual lack of quality in both boxes cost us badly.

First 30 minutes or so we were the better side, held Arsenal at arms length easily and created decent chances which needed to be taken but werent.

And then the usual London tref bias gifted Arsenal a penalty which Meslier got nowhere near, Ayling was clumsy though and got worse as the game went on, a weak link all game.

Kristensen had a really decent game i felt, playing whereever he was meant to be.

Harrison had his usual occasional good moments with his usual poor ones.

Roca did a decent job to i felt largely and Aaronson grew into the game with his energy and running with the ball.

Sinisterra whilst clearly rusty had bright moments and Summerville was the pick of the players.

Rutter also had a bright cameo and id be tempted to start him.

Subs were largely ineffective.

Bamford just fouled people and Rodrigo was as expected just a warm body, not the game for him.

Some bright moments but that game showed why we are where we are.

Cant take advantage of good moments and lack the quality to stop giving away easy chances.

If you cant score and cant stop giving away easy chances then this is where you will end up
Interesting combination there. Given Rutter's and Sinsiterra's preferred positions, it's a little surprising that Rutter didn't get the start up front. It was obviously a case of Sinisterra getting a 60 minute run out. He showed potential to be our best player before getting injured so it would be nice if we could get him fully fit again.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:57 pm Firpo looked very good today. He has grown in confidence - mostly noted by the number of times he was willing to cut inside and run with the ball. It's notable that this has been his longest run of starts. Obviously there's some ability there.
Firpo looked good in the bits I saw.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

1964white wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:00 pm I'll concentrate on Jack watching a re-run tomorrow, Andrew.

Difficult to judge today as my stream was coming & going like April showers :(
I've only watched once. And given the result probably won't rewatch. But I thought it was interesting how Jackie would drop into a straight back 6 at times. We seemed to play 2 RB's. And not quite symmetrical, but Harrison was obviously placed to provide cover for Junior.

There were experiments to play him at LB that never came to fruition. But I think he has all the makings of a box to box midfielder. His physique, pace and skill are perfect for it. I agree that he's always been best for us on the left wing. But with so many midfielders injured (Adams, Forshaw, Dallas) and plenty of wing options, I think there was some definite intent about where he played today.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

1964white wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:03 pm Firpo looked good in the bits I saw.
Hopefully he stays fit and keeps getting better
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

1964white wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:23 pm Just about to post up the very same

Anyone who think that Ayling, Kristensen, Pascal or Cooper can adequately replace Wober needs to give their head a good shake.

Posted a couple of times on different threads over the last few days, Wober would be a massive miss & was my main injury concern.
:tup:
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Scoobychief wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:40 pm Don't worry will have cooper and struik partnership in the championship next season
That really would be back to square one.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:52 pm For the longest time, I always said Cooper was our 4th best defender but we were better defensively better when he played.

Wober is the full package. Top defender. Top organizer. Top leader.
:tup:
1964white

Re: Arsenal 4-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate

Post by 1964white »

Jesus walked on water & now dives like a bird

John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

I guess I'm the only one who thinks Aaronson played an excellent game today.

He made at least three free kicks that I can remember that were spot on. He set Kristensen up on a silver platter (Kristensen fluffed the shot). Most of all, he showed some real toughness today. He almost never went to ground and fought to win/retain the ball on a number of occasions instead of looking for the foul.

I was very encouraged by his performance.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:15 am I guess I'm the only one who thinks Aaronson played an excellent game today.

He made at least three free kicks that I can remember that were spot on. He set Kristensen up on a silver platter (Kristensen fluffed the shot). Most of all, he showed some real toughness today. He almost never went to ground and fought to win/retain the ball on a number of occasions instead of looking for the foul.

I noted others saying the same in this thread. I think the goal during international break helped his confidence. Almost had a Rodri style goal on Ramsdale that I thought was really well taken. I thought two of the three free kicks were well taken. I’ll go back and doublecheck, though.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:15 am I guess I'm the only one who thinks Aaronson played an excellent game today.

I also praised him, he and Roca had much improved games.
Both made my MOTM top six.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I know this Arsenal team are quality with great attacking attributes, but I'm concerned how they got round our defenders with considerable ease!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

We have now lost four & drawn two games in that horrible yellow kit.

1000's of them at half-price or less in our club shop.
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

1964white wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:23 am I know this Arsenal team are quality with great attacking attributes, but I'm concerned how they got round our defenders with considerable ease!
I think it has a lot to do with us not having the same quality of players as Arsenal have. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link and once one of our players doesn't do his job well enough it can cause lots of problems for team mates all around him. It then makes it look like we dont know what we are doing or that individuals are falling asleep. With Arsenals passing and movement they can make any team look bad. I would/will be more concerned if it is happening in the next 2 or 3 games against so called lesser teams.