Fulham 2-0 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Re: Fulham v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 60sUnited »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:21 am Bloody hell were you watching a different game ?

How do you mean ? In what way did we give them too much respect ?

Twas vice versa to me.
It was a cup game ffs...we should have thrown caution to the wind and really gone at them, what the he'll if we shipped 4 or 5 goals......I am just a fed up fan who knows, despite all the opinions and bullshit, we may play well pretty often but that won't add to our points tally !!!
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

SG90 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:30 am Is it unlucky if it happens every game? We've long passed that stage now, it's the lack of quality for this level. Even Firpo's goal was a scuffed shot that squirmed under the keeper.
In this specific game it’s unlucky.
Joke disallowed goal plus hitting the post. Has to be unlucky.
We certainly lack quality up front atm.
Only 3 goals since Rodrigo was injured.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:37 am In this specific game it’s unlucky.
Joke disallowed goal plus hitting the post. Has to be unlucky.
We certainly lack quality up front atm.
Only 3 goals since Rodrigo was injured.
Well why are we reliant on one player for goals in the first place? We have a "striker" on £75k a week, attacking midfielders who haven't scored since August, only 1 goal from CB, no goals from CM etc.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:37 am A penny for your thoughts please Sara, how you feeling, what's your first impressions, i know it's early days, but you're usually right from the off and i value your opinion (call me a creeping cant if you like, it don't matter :) )
Just concurring with CJay's thoughts on recent signings, Rutter and McKennie in particular. They may be good players, but I'm not convinced they're the best fit we could've got for the money.

I haven't been able to watch the last two games, unfortunately, so don't feel informed enough to comment. I like what I've read of and heard from Gracia, and am hopeful he can do enough to keep us up.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

SG90 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:39 am Well why are we reliant on one player for goals in the first place? We have a "striker" on £75k a week, attacking midfielders who haven't scored since August, only 1 goal from CB, no goals from CM etc.
I agree. Without Rodrigo we are deep in it.
It can only be either poor or the wrong recruitment.
Not really convinced we can turn it around tbh, we are just relying on 3 worse like last season
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:51 am I agree. Without Rodrigo we are deep in it.
It can only be either poor or the wrong recruitment.
Not really convinced we can turn it around tbh, we are just relying on 3 worse like last season
It's gonna be tough. I thought the win might renew belief in the players, but then we resorted to the same issues again yesterday; gifting them the lead through a mistake and missing countless chances. I don't see much leadership in the pitch trying to lead by example.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:43 am Just concurring with CJay's thoughts on recent signings, Rutter and McKennie in particular. They may be good players, but I'm not convinced they're the best fit we could've got for the money.

I haven't been able to watch the last two games, unfortunately, so don't feel informed enough to comment. I like what I've read of and heard from Gracia, and am hopeful he can do enough to keep us up.
Really rate McKennie, like Rodrigo he's a class apart. Rutter is young and, for me, already ahead of where he should be for a kid coming from a slower lesser league...
Last edited by The Subhuman on Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:13 am I'm trying to find the same confidence, fck me he's got his work cut out, but i'm behind him :tup:

I'll come back to this
The confidence is that we are good enough to get a few wins and that should be enough. If we take the last 2 matches we defended decently. Some will say we should have closed the 2 shots down but as a defender to some extent you are happy to see players shoot from that distance (admittedly p*ssed off if it goes in). If you try to do a block there then chances are the player will simply then run past you and get into a far better position to shoot. So if we can keep defending as we have done then we should pick up some draws and also a few wins. We no longer have to score 3 to have achance of winning.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Fulham 2-0 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:12 am
Cost us big time imo. Very poor decision and you can't account for that when it comes to game planning.. Ref had already let 2/3 worse incidents go, allowing the game to flow, but completely ballsed that one up
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:10 am The confidence is that we are good enough to get a few wins and that should be enough. If we take the last 2 matches we defended decently. Some will say we should have closed the 2 shots down but as a defender to some extent you are happy to see players shoot from that distance (admittedly p*ssed off if it goes in). If you try to do a block there then chances are the player will simply then run past you and get into a far better position to shoot. So if we can keep defending as we have done then we should pick up some draws and also a few wins. We no longer have to score 3 to have achance of winning.
This, if you can keep teams to long range shooting you're well on top. They just scored a couple of worldies, looked ok between the boxes when in possession but were ultimately more toothless than us. Last night reminded me of the ENG/POL game (74?) Sniffer played in where we couldn't finish to save our lives. Did that make Clarke a s**t player?

If missing chances makes you a poor player then Harry Kane is s**t as he's missed a hatful playing for England in big games
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

SG90 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:14 am So what was the difference between yesterday and Arsenal or Palace? The players missing sitters cost us all 3 games.
Palace we dominated early and like you say had chances to go 2 goals up. Palace changed tactics and were then comfortably the better team and we, or rather the manager, had no idea what to do.

Arsenal - yeah we were unlucky. It's hard to know what Arsenal would have done if we equalised. IT was sort of like Arteta didn't know whether to change it or not, whether to risk changing things with them a goal up.

The main difference for me was that although we were unlucky at times under Marsch we were conceding soft goals. We created our own misfortune. It is easy to say unlucky when we then commit 9 or 10 men forward because when you do that you will create chances but it leaves you so vulnerable at the back - the classi match to highlight this was the Villa one. We commited loads forward for a corner, got caught out and were 1-0 down. We then continued to throw men forward and yes were unlucky not to score but were always vulnerable to conceding again and that is what happened.

Yesterday we were unlucky at both ends of the pitch but for the most part looked good going forward but also solid at the back.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Very impressed with the overall performance last night. Though Kristensen looked the part first game up in a new position, McKennie looks class. Koch did well playing left.

Downside was Adams off colour night, Paddy struggling for form and Roca. The subs a touch too predictable. Would have liked to see Joseph on and maybe the very positive Gyabi
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:10 am Really rate McKennie, like Rodrigo he's a class apart. Rutter is young and, for me, already ahead of where he should be for a kid coming from a slower lesser league...
I'm sure you're right, but they look like the wrong signings in a relegation fight, to me. I'm hankering for some Pablo-esque creativity, and a no.9 who's ready and in form now.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

When you’re down, you’re down.

We hit the back of the net twice and the post once, had numerous other decent chances last night including a desperate goalmouth scramble and still ended up goalless. We made a couple of errors and got punished severely for them. The XG’s tell the story of the match, ours being far superior to theirs and yet a 2-0 scoreline suggests a comfortable win for them.

We played ok, certainly better than of late, and more than matched the opposition in all but goals, yet are still dogged by ill luck and misfortune, where nothing seems to go our way. That’s what happens when you’re used to losing games and confidence is low, the opposition get the run of the ball and most loose balls and ricochets seem to end up favouring them. However, having said that, we are still often prone to playing too quickly for our own good, leading to misplaced passes, Adams’ pass leading to their first goal being just one case in point last night. Sometimes you just have to slow things down, put your foot on the ball and assess the situation ala the McAlister’s and Hernandez’s of this world, it’s about choosing the right moment to speed up or slow down which comes with experience, I suppose.

The final ball and decision making around the oppositions penalty area is really poor, we invariably seem to take exactly the wrong option. For example, just one of many examples last night, McKennie should have had a shot at goal when the space opened up for him instead of trying to put Summerville through with an over hit pass, again a lack of confidence and inexperience to blame.

The poor finishing and shear bad luck we are experiencing currently, tells me we are on a very slippery slope towards relegation, but sometimes you have to “make your own luck” a and I’m not sure that this team is capable of doing that. I hope I’m wrong!
Bluebucket
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Bluebucket »

60sUnited wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:32 am It was a cup game ffs...we should have thrown caution to the wind and really gone at them, what the he'll if we shipped 4 or 5 goals......I am just a fed up fan who knows, despite all the opinions and bullshit, we may play well pretty often but that won't add to our points tally !!!
Sorry, I totally disagree. The result last night was of little importance to the main priority of staying up. Gracia has had only two games in charge and we have improved in a number of aspects. Yes, there's a helluva long way to go before we can even have a sliver of confidence about staying up, but he can only use the players he's got. To have gone back to mad Marsch ball just to try and win a cup tie would've been idiotic.

Fulham are sixth in the league and deservedly so. We produced a decent-ish performance against a very good side, albeit with a frustrating scoreline. Now let's try and get Harry Potter sacked.
:scar1
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:41 am When you’re down, you’re down.

We hit the back of the net twice and the post once, had numerous other decent chances last night including a desperate goalmouth scramble and still ended up goalless. We made a couple of errors and got punished severely for them. The XG’s tell the story of the match, ours being far superior to theirs and yet a 2-0 scoreline suggests a comfortable win for them.

We played ok, certainly better than of late, and more than matched the opposition in all but goals, yet are still dogged by ill luck and misfortune, where nothing seems to go our way. That’s what happens when you’re used to losing games and confidence is low, the opposition get the run of the ball and most loose balls and ricochets seem to end up favouring them. However, having said that, we are still often prone to playing too quickly for our own good, leading to misplaced passes, Adams’ pass leading to their first goal being just one case in point last night. Sometimes you just have to slow things down, put your foot on the ball and assess the situation ala the McAlister’s and Hernandez’s of this world, it’s about choosing the right moment to speed up or slow down which comes with experience, I suppose.

The final ball and decision making around the oppositions penalty area is really poor, we invariably seem to take exactly the wrong option. For example, just one of many examples last night, McKennie should have had a shot at goal when the space opened up for him instead of trying to put Summerville through with an over hit pass, again a lack of confidence and inexperience to blame.

The poor finishing and shear bad luck we are experiencing currently, tells me we are on a very slippery slope towards relegation, but sometimes you have to “make your own luck” a and I’m not sure that this team is capable of doing that. I hope I’m wrong!
Well said. Saves me having to say it, especially the last paragraph.
As I said last night, we desperately need Rodrigo and Sinisterra back.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

SaraM wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:43 am Just concurring with CJay's thoughts on recent signings, Rutter and McKennie in particular. They may be good players, but I'm not convinced they're the best fit we could've got for the money.

Yeah still too early for them two.

In saying that though and going off last nights display and thinking about us going forward now under Javi, ALL of them signed since Bert was sacked are about to come under the spotlight, it's a shame you missed 'it' last night you might welcome a re run, i know one Swallow etc, but there was some really encouraging signs on view ;-)

In regards to that last bit - brace yourself in, this could go either way.

Myself ? I'm encouraged, scared because of the tools he's been handed and the fact they're going to have to get 'it', and not only get 'it' but be able to put 'it' into practice - But ! i think he can do 'it', more evidence is needed for 'it', but 'it' was there in all 'it's' glory last night.

More evidence on show last night which is scary (white knuckle scary) and which was Berts biggest problem - finding some fcker that can hit that net thingymebob ! And i hope to fck that Jesse hasn't taken ALL our luck with him because if he has we're gonna be fcked, he's gonna need it in spades with this lot, perhaps only the odd slice, but he's definitely gonna need it.

Keep your fingers crossed Sara, you might be a very happy little pyschological therapist mind studying bunny very soon, - BUT!

You could equally turn into a knife wielding fcking nutter!

I'm happy as a pig in the proverbial shite !!!!

Make sure you watch Chelsea btw ya fcking part time fan you :evil:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:20 am According to the esteemed wine writer Jancis Robinson a good wine should have a beginning, middle & finish.
We have a decent beginning, reasonable middle and no finish. So more Blossom Hill than Krug or piss weak at the end if you will.
Great anaolgy
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

SG90 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:01 am It's gonna be tough. I thought the win might renew belief in the players, but then we resorted to the same issues again yesterday; gifting them the lead through a mistake and missing countless chances. I don't see much leadership in the pitch trying to lead by example.
Don't panic ! Cooperman is on his way back in place of Wober !

'It'll' be reet !
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)