Leeds Utd 1-3 Manchester City - Post Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Madron
First Team
First Team

Re: Leeds Utd v Manchester City Match Thread - Meslier, Rodrigo & Cooper Make Starting XI

Post by Madron »

weasel wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:22 pm I see no reason to be satisfied because it was only wastefulness by City that stopped it being a lot worse - not anything we did.

We only came into the game when City dropped about 4 gears after getting their 3rd goal.

Gnonto the only real spark for me tonight - loved his aggression when he had a go at Grealish and got booked. Some clever passes that our players didn't read - he has a very good footballing brain.
My satisfaction comes from having lower expectations than most ,more realistic maybe.
We were playing the best team in Europe , and only lost 3-1 after putting up a pretty good defensive performance first half.
They persevered, after going 3-0 down, right up to the final whistle in the first proper match in 7 weeks. Everyone was predicting a hammering -it wasn't . All in all thats enough to satisfy me going forward.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Manchester City Match Thread - Meslier, Rodrigo & Cooper Make Starting XI

Post by Kennyb41 »

Match summary for anybody just checking in.

It should've been 1-7.

64 you were at the game, who was in the nets for Citeh ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Madron wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:17 pm Overall ,got to be satisfied with that, expected a lot worse. Liked the way they all played right up to the final whistle.
Adams and Summerville back for Newcastle so see what we can do there .
Then the real season starts with plenty of points possible in Jan/Feb.
Correct Madron.

Gnonto looked like a right handful throughout. Usual top 6 referee bias though imo.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Madron wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:43 pm My satisfaction comes from having lower expectations than most ,more realistic maybe.
We were playing the best team in Europe , and only lost 3-1 after putting up a pretty good defensive performance first half.
They persevered, after going 3-0 down, right up to the final whistle in the first proper match in 7 weeks. Everyone was predicting a hammering -it wasn't . All in all thats enough to satisfy me going forward.
My point though was that we contributed nothing to the fact the score was relatively low.

We didn't limit City's chances in any way and we certainly didn't put up a 'good defensive performance first half.'

We only conceded 3 becuase City, Grealish and Haaland in particular, were wasteful in front of goal.

We only 'peresevered, after going 3-0 down,' because City eased right off.

Yes it wasn't a hammering but Leeds Utd did nothing to stop it being a hammering.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:48 pm Match summary for anybody just checking in.

It should've been 1-7.

Ederson

Yes, should be home around midnight.
Sockerist
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Sockerist »

That could have been a lot worse.

Draw a line and move on.

I can't be the only one who noticed Haaland's sombre expression on scoring those two goals. Anyone would think he'd scored two own goals, and in a sense, that's what he did.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

A Tourist wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:29 pm They do have space out beyond Kristensen, so he's covering two because Greenwood is too tight inside. I agree that's a system issue. Kristensen need to be slid out further with Greenwood responsible for Haaland since the rest of the backline is dropping off.

However I do think that most teams in the prem are going to give up that overload to the weak side because of how quickly and incisively City passes through into the final third. You've got to track Haaland, Gundogan (who's making a run), De Bruyne (who's on the ball) and Mahrez (who's occupying Struijk). Grealish's interplay with Haaland is very clean, and I'm not sure there's much to do about that. Really, you needed Forshaw or somebody in the midfield to provide that protection and not let De Bruyne escape, thus mandating the narrowing of the backline to cover the other three.
We do it week in week out irrespective of the quality of the opposition and we usually give up a goal that way...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:48 pm Match summary for anybody just checking in.

It should've been 1-7.

That was my prediction Kenny :)
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Nothing to do with the actual game but I loved the way Haaland was with our players at the end of the game. He had genuine warmth for them, and Marsch. Spent a while chatting away.....good on you Leeds lad
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Well it went almost as expected but to lose by 2 isn’t too bad and we still have a better goal difference than those below who all bar wolves lost at the weekend. we keep Sumerville and gnonto fit and get sinisterra back, who I’d almost forgotten about and we will cause teams problems - now we just have to sort this gaffe prone defence out
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Manchester City Forum not very complimentary about us

Thuggish
Crap

One of the worst teams they have played this season with far to many poor players, poor playing style and heading for relegation.

Really gives you confidence :lol:
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:48 pm That was my prediction Kenny :)
Believe it or not it was the first scoreline that came in my head when i saw the correct score thread, but i plumped for 2-6 coz of our recent luck in front of goal.

That's sadly coming to an end i feel.

We need 3 worse than us - especially if Orta's putting pressure on him to use his excellent signings.

Lord help us.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

I’d take 3-1.
Only -2 on GD. No injuries.
Our record is generally very good against the top 6 this season and as has been said countless times on here it’s games against the others that are more important so why get in a stress about last night
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Madron wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:43 pm My satisfaction comes from having lower expectations than most ,more realistic maybe.
I predicted a draw, but that never look likely, as Citeh's quality was far too good for us to cope with in our error flawed game. Also pleased we got away with a two goal deficit, could have been more had they been more clinical. Naïveness from Leeds cost us a 0-0 scoreline at half-time, then the usual calamity giveaway goal sealed our fate.

I'll watch a re-run of the whole match later.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Cjay wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:57 am Manchester City Forum not very complimentary about us

Thuggish
Crap

One of the worst teams they have played this season with far to many poor players, poor playing style and heading for relegation.

Really gives you confidence :lol:
Yeah...but also, well f*** em, their "club" which isn't really a club in any normal sense, it's a project for a despotic regime, and Guardiola, Haaland, Philips and all the others who put out their hand and take dirty money to sportswash, I hope they fumigate Elland Road now they've gone. For all the faults and failings, give me Radrizzani, Marsch, Cooper and co any day.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Jaydog wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:27 am I’d take 3-1.
Only -2 on GD. No injuries.
Our record is generally very good against the top 6 this season and as has been said countless times on here it’s games against the others that are more important so why get in a stress about last night
No stress from last night, expected a pummelling, not far off.

Newcastle will stuff us as well, so anything from there will be a bonus, teams know all our flaws now so we need to hope there are 3 worse than us again and as you say hope other results go our way re the relegation teams.

;@)
1964white

Re: Leeds Utd 1-3 Manchester City - Post Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2022-12-29 12.45.56.png
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Shots in target 1

Big chances 0

Meslier saves 7

Citeh had almost double the amount of touches of the ball, also three times as many successful passes
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:54 pm Shots in target 1

Big chances 0

Meslier saves 7

Citeh had almost double the amount of touches of the ball, also three times as many successful passes
Man City xG is is highest by any Premier league side this season incidentally.

Not our highest against (that still belongs to Bielsa) but the highest this season for anyone
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

There is so much wrong with our tactics it boggles the mind.

A team that relies on turnovers to create chances fundamentally can't park the bus because you will win the ball back far to deep (if at all) to create a meaningful counter (especially when your main striker is a snail) Rodrigo pace has gone let's be honest.

We are so narrow it allows tricky wingers a run up (the last thing you want to do).

The central areas are to crowded and our players aren't good enough Or comfortable enough on the ball to pass in tight areas so resort to hoof which invariably comes straight back (or gives goals away).

But all that being said when your first 2 changes are Klich and Ayling and your midfield 3 contains Forshaw and Greenwood then you can see where the main issue lies.

The squad is pathetic and one of the weakest in the league.

And so much like Bielsa Marsch is being asked to perform miracles.

Doesn't excuse his daft tactics or cringe behaviour

But the rot starts from the top.
Signed

King Cjay