Wilfried Gnonto

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Wilfried Gnonto

Post by Kennyb41 »

Excellent man-management from DF.

Gnonto played with the right attitude, i still have DJ way in front of him, but he needs to seize this opportunity and goals obviously help.

What i did like (PB you listening) PUT YOUR FECKIN LACES THRU THE BALL AND SEND IT GOALBOUND !!!

Left foot anorl, he took it well - You listening ermmmm Jimmy, Rutter, PB, Kamara, etc etc etc
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Wilfried Gnonto- New contract close

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

1964white wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:06 am All about opinions.

James is a better crosser of the ball, an aspect of his game that has significantly improved, especially now we have a proper No.9 in the box. Ten goals & seven assists cannot be sniffed at.

Gnonto's attempted cross to Bamford was woeful last night, in fact he wasn't great in the first-half, he was much better after the half-time break.

His movement into the centre of the pitch, where he is much more dangerous, was great (he's not a winger), and unlike all our powder-puff shooting straight at the keeper, Gnonto put his bootlaces through the ball, shooting with velocity across the keeper.

Also a couple of moments when he tracked back & stopped a Bristol attack was encouraging.
And from distance too, '64. This is something Sini was particularly good at and that seems to be missing from most of our shooters now. Having a threat that can rocket one in from the edge of the 18-yard box and still have some zip on the ball is a Great addition to the arsenal.
In Farke we trust...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

At the moment James still starts if fit for the next game, but we do need to keep getting Gnonto substantial minutes... for forms sake

Geo/Cry and Willy though are our own 3 musketeers ...one for all and all that..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Good to see he's finally getting minutes , up to him now, hopefully he realises he can't hold us to ransom anymore, he still has a long way to go but it was good to see him put a shift in, the hard work starts now.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Wilfried Gnonto- New contract close

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:23 am Indeed we do (need him now) and as per Gruev, Bamford and Firpo we find a 'squad player' stepping up when called upon. It is the pace that he generates with his shooting that makes him such a threat, the keeper had no chance to recover after thinking that Gnonto was going near post with the shot. I love players who can hit the ball really hard, think Yeboah and Hasselbaink, as you don't need to be as accurate as a player who generates less power and as such they have to get their shot right into the corner.

I think it also speaks a lot about the flexibility in Farke's system which allows Gnonto to be able to come in so far instead of hugging the right wing. There were a couple of other moments in the game which showcased this, one where Firpo was playing down the right and Gray down the left and another time where Firpo and Gray were both on the same wing passing to each other.
Think the problem has been imo that most of the time Gnonto has played or tried to play similarly to Dan James.

Hug the touchline cross the ball, it doesn't suit him or work.

Yesterday he played more like Buendia.

For Norwich Buendia often started on the right but came narrow which left the right back to bomb forward (the Max Aarons was always the more attacking of the Norwich full backs).

Phil already said Farke saw Summerville as his Buendia and did try it earlier in the season but it didn't work.

Gnonto may be the best of the attacking midfielders we have to try that with as he has spent most of his career as a left winger or second striker for Zurich

So coming inside is far more natural for him.

If he is to thrive we can't ask him to play like Dan James.

Yesterday was imo the first time he hasn't and it worked.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I thought he was fairly average until his goal. The goal meant the world to the kid tho which was great to see. He defo looked a bit lighter after the goal. We have got great competition for the wide spots and watching Jimmy sling his pal over his shoulder and point to Willy in front of the fans, its worth keeping him around for when the sharks come sniffing for Jimmy in the summer.

It may just be starting to click again with Gnonto that him and Jimmy could build something special here at Leeds.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Another game where finally Willy Gnonto finds himself central and is able to score another very nice goal.

For much of the game again found himself doing a Dan James impression with mixed results.

But when central he was able to score a nice goal.

Beginning of the season Phil said DF had earmarked Crysencio Summerville as Emi Buendia.

By that I mean he saw Summerville as an attacking midfielder not a winger.

I don't know how many will remember but early in the season Summerville actually started on the right, was Sinisterra or Gnonto on the left.

But same as Buendia at Norwich Summerville more often than not actually played central, or even popped up on the left, it was Pablo Hernandez type for a LUFC comparison.

This imo would suit Gnonto, I'll post a video in minute but at FC Zurich he spent his time as a second striker or left winger (same as here).

He isn't a 10 like a Pablo passing wise but same as Buendia he has that stocky, low centre of gravity that allows him to wiggle out of tight areas and carry the ball.

He lacks the pace for the Dan James type wing role, traditional wingers usually either had phenomenal pace or were phenomenally accurate crosses, Willy is neither.

He needs to be central or left and able to come inside as we've seen.

The dilemma for DF I understand, only Dan James really wants to play on the right.

Gnonto, Summerville, Anthony all want to be inverted wingers.

And after his form this season from the left you can't shift Summerville.

But I think allowing Gnonto to play more like Buendia as Summerville was being tasked with early in the season would be a great move.

Maybe DF abandoned it because it isn't really something James can do. And I think the focus on right backs this last 2 windows shows its something he'd like to do because obviously if your right winger is allowed to wander all over the right back has to do a lot of running and attacking.

Hopefully with Roberts we can see a bit more of it and Gnonto can be our Buendia?

Good to see him scoring again anyway.
Signed

King Cjay

Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Kamara assist
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Cjay wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:14 pm Another game where finally Willy Gnonto finds himself central and is able to score another very nice goal.

For much of the game again found himself doing a Dan James impression with mixed results.

But when central he was able to score a nice goal.

Beginning of the season Phil said DF had earmarked Crysencio Summerville as Emi Buendia.

By that I mean he saw Summerville as an attacking midfielder not a winger.

I don't know how many will remember but early in the season Summerville actually started on the right, was Sinisterra or Gnonto on the left.

But same as Buendia at Norwich Summerville more often than not actually played central, or even popped up on the left, it was Pablo Hernandez type for a LUFC comparison.

This imo would suit Gnonto, I'll post a video in minute but at FC Zurich he spent his time as a second striker or left winger (same as here).

He isn't a 10 like a Pablo passing wise but same as Buendia he has that stocky, low centre of gravity that allows him to wiggle out of tight areas and carry the ball.

He lacks the pace for the Dan James type wing role, traditional wingers usually either had phenomenal pace or were phenomenally accurate crosses, Willy is neither.

He needs to be central or left and able to come inside as we've seen.

The dilemma for DF I understand, only Dan James really wants to play on the right.

Gnonto, Summerville, Anthony all want to be inverted wingers.

And after his form this season from the left you can't shift Summerville.

But I think allowing Gnonto to play more like Buendia as Summerville was being tasked with early in the season would be a great move.

Maybe DF abandoned it because it isn't really something James can do. And I think the focus on right backs this last 2 windows shows its something he'd like to do because obviously if your right winger is allowed to wander all over the right back has to do a lot of running and attacking.

Hopefully with Roberts we can see a bit more of it and Gnonto can be our Buendia?

Good to see him scoring again anyway.
If you need a player to play in another position then it is best to try and get them to do so whilst they are still young as this assists adaptation.
Gnonto likes to come inside. I think he is better on the right than James from a technical ball retention perspective. James because of his pace represents more danger on the counter and his defensive work due to his ability to seemingly instantaneously transport him self around the pitch makes him hard to ignore as a starter.

In terms of Gnonto do we know he does not want to play on the right ???? positional preference aside many players are happy to play anywhere if they are in the team.
I have noticed a lot of positional changes between players during games. Having positional fluidity can only be a positive for me as it provides headaches for the opposition if they are trying to focus defensively on a particular player and it also leads to defensive uncertainty.

Gnonto’s quality that many have questioned of late is now starting to shine again. I am just enjoying it for what it is - another deadly arrow for Farke’s tactical quiver.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Bloody hell, folk are starting to talk some footy sense here :shock:

Do i feel the winds of change a blowin.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

DDB220 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:18 pm If you need a player to play in another position then it is best to try and get them to do so whilst they are still young as this assists adaptation.
Gnonto likes to come inside. I think he is better on the right than James from a technical ball retention perspective. James because of his pace represents more danger on the counter and his defensive work due to his ability to seemingly instantaneously transport him self around the pitch makes him hard to ignore as a starter.

In terms of Gnonto do we know he does not want to play on the right ???? positional preference aside many players are happy to play anywhere if they are in the team.
I have noticed a lot of positional changes between players during games. Having positional fluidity can only be a positive for me as it provides headaches for the opposition if they are trying to focus defensively on a particular player and it also leads to defensive uncertainty.

Gnonto’s quality that many have questioned of late is now starting to shine again. I am just enjoying it for what it is - another deadly arrow for Farke’s tactical quiver.
I think if you asked him he'd prefer to play down the middle, he referred to himself as a striker the other week in an interview.

And then for a right footer next best would be left as they can come inside and be central anyway which are basically the 2 roles he's always played.

Would imagine as you say he's just happy being on the pitch and scoring goals again, but I'm sure like all players he has a preference.

Interestingly it's actually Summerville whose played from the right more in his career which I would imagine is why it was he not Gnonto who DF originally used.

But with Sinisterra leaving, Gnonto having a tantrum and James becoming his next option he had to move one of them and Summerville was the superior dribbler so he moved him and it worked.

Now he can't really shift Summerville because of how vital he is.

Positional changes would help as you say, Gnonto and Rutter could swap on occasion.

Just hope we allow Gnonto to come central enough as its clearly where he is most effective.

Do wonder though if with a more natural attacking right back will we see a bit more Buendia like movement from Gnonto.

Can't do it with James, moving inside would do him no favours, but wouldn't be shocked if Gnonto started coming more central more often.

I hope so.

This sort of thing, Buendia would often end up on the left linking with Cantwell and Hernandez creating an overload.
Signed

King Cjay

GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Willy`s goal last night had a lot of quality in it. The way he got his shot away quickly with such a short back lift and follow through was that of a player who is confident and prepared to take a chance and hit it. Something some of our players seem reluctant to do on occasions.
hector

Post by hector »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:29 pm Bloody hell, folk are starting to talk some footy sense here :shock:

Do i feel the winds of change a blowin.
go over there.jpg
go over there.jpg (7.17 KiB) Viewed 601 times
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

GreennWhite wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:11 pm Willy`s goal last night had a lot of quality in it. The way he got his shot away quickly with such a short back lift and follow through was that of a player who is confident and prepared to take a chance and hit it. Something some of our players seem reluctant to do on occasions.
Gnonto has put his boot through the ball against Bristol City & Plymouth, something we haven't witnessed for much of the season, teams rarely score goals with powder-puff shooting.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

GreennWhite wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:11 pm Willy`s goal last night had a lot of quality in it. The way he got his shot away quickly with such a short back lift and follow through was that of a player who is confident and prepared to take a chance and hit it. Something some of our players seem reluctant to do on occasions.
Yeah i thought the same at the time and a bit more renewed confidence in him and his play.

Beyond the realms DF is having an influence on players ?

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

hector wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:21 pm go over there.jpg
It already got much consideration before posting Hec, believe me.

;@)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gnonto back in form

9 decent passes
3 successful runs/dribbles
2 shots (one saved)
2 defensive clearances
1 tackle
1 excellent cross
1 ball recovery
1 interception

Linked up well with young Archie, did some good defensive work.

Loved the celebration

Screenshot 2024-02-12 20.05.06.png
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

The run and pass to Cry for the pen was very nice, really didn't see their keeper getting down to that great shot into the corner but some how he did
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ben Scooby lufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ben Scooby lufc »

He's close to the ball and has the strength in his legs to score belters out of no where!. He just needs more game time by playing better than the competiton. Theres currently lots of competition at lufc.
;-) Yeboah against Liverpool :!: :!: Crossbar and in. :love: :love:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Willy's goal celebration reminded me of the time when Alioski ridiculously got accused of racism when, after scoring, he made a similar gesture to Burnley's very white mixed-race Dwight McNeill.