Golf Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Golf Thread - The Masters

Post by malcolmw »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:21 pm Far too premature and tbh laughable to compare him to Woods. His dominance was far greater over a very long period. I’m not sure Scheffler has a finish of note in our Open yet 🤔
As big Jack who is simply the greatest ever to pick up a golf club said
“If you’re going to be a player people will remember, you have to win the Open at St. Andrews”.
I’d just say win an Open tbh.
Oh and don’t forget Woods won all four majors in a row. Not in the same season but he is on a short list of 1 person to ever achieve it.
Out of interest, I just looked it up. If you're going to say winning the Open is the main factor then you'd say Tom Watson is the best player of the modern era - he's won more Opens than anyone else in the modern era. (almost won a 6th at over 50!). Peter Thomson also has 5.
Jack and Tiger have the most green jackets.

I love the Open - its my favourite major - but I do think its a particular kind of golf. Also, sometimes the weather can make luck of the draw a bit too much of a factor - whether you go out early or late - on the first 2 days in particular.
US Open is great, depending where they play it - and when the USGA get over themselves and stop trying to ensure the winning score is over par - there have been a couple of years when they've made the course virtually unplayable - silly.

For me the PGA isn't in the same class as the other 3. The Players is more of a major than the PGA.

Its probably just a matter of time before we have "a major" in Saudi Arabia. :duno:
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:18 pm The one thing I would say about Tiger is he was the first player to hit monster drives with an all round amazing game. Daly could on his day be a force.
Back then tee to green was shorter on many Major championship courses that have now have added yardage, particularly on the par 5’s. I remember many occasion when he would play a short to mid iron for his approach on a par 5 when others were playing a 2 iron. It did at the time - because his tee to green regulation play was so high, - provide a significant advantage over many competitors. These days long off the Tee is a big part of most players games. Faldo in this day and age with the way courses are set up for majors would struggle.
As a result you won’t see many players battling for top honours who are over 40 yrs these days.
Tiger's dominance came as much from his putting as from any other part of his game. His ability to sink 6 to 10 footers under extreme pressure - repeatedly - is unparalleled.

The distance thing has to be reigned in. I think the plan to change the rules around ball specs is a good idea. Jack has been saying that for years. Its making great old golf courses obsolete. 250 yard par 3's, 500+ yard par 4's and 650 yard par 5's is ridiculous. It's amazing to watch, but it's just silly - its not the same game the rest of us play. imho.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

malcolmw wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:37 pm Out of interest, I just looked it up. If you're going to say winning the Open is the main factor then you'd say Tom Watson is the best player of the modern era - he's won more Opens than anyone else in the modern era. (almost won a 6th at over 50!). Peter Thomson also has 5.

I love the Open - its my favourite major - but I do think its a particular kind of golf. Also, sometimes the weather can make luck of the draw a bit too much of a factor - whether you go out early or late - on the first 2 days in particular.
US Open is great, depending where they play it - and when the USGA get over themselves and stop trying to ensure the winning score is over par - there have been a couple of years when they've made the course virtually unplayable - silly.

For me the PGA isn't in the same class as the other 3. The Players is more of a major than the PGA.

Its probably just a matter of time before we have "a major" in Saudi Arabia. :duno:
The open is a test of shot making and imagination rather than pin peppering as most tournaments in the US turn in to. Dechambeau proved any course can be overpowered if your strong enough to gouge out the rough ,his us open win. Jack an Tiger different animals to the rest no pun intended. Think scottie has the advantage of it being a job rather than a legacy thing. (Possibly)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

malcolmw wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:37 pm Out of interest, I just looked it up. If you're going to say winning the Open is the main factor then you'd say Tom Watson is the best player of the modern era - he's won more Opens than anyone else in the modern era. (almost won a 6th at over 50!). Peter Thomson also has 5.

Jack was more particular and said an Open at St Andrews. Like you say it’s almost a different game and shows adaptability. It’s why I love watching Spieth. Brilliant imagination.
Tom Watson did a tv interview before Turnberry when he was 2nd to Kitchen Cink. I totally believed he’d go close after that. He said the course & the wind are great levellers and he was the best wind player bar none.
No one can claim real greatness unless they have won all four majors. It’s a tiny club. That’s my opinion.
Yeah I agree re the USPGA. Tin pot major but I’d take it 😂
Ipswich won’t fade. As predicted.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:45 pm The open is a test of shot making and imagination rather than pin peppering as most tournaments in the US turn in to. Dechambeau proved any course can be overpowered if your strong enough to gouge out the rough ,his us open win. Jack an Tiger different animals to the rest no pun intended. Think scottie has the advantage of it being a job rather than a legacy thing. (Possibly)
A lot of Americans hate the Open. They want to hit 380 yard drives that stop dead. Imagine their disgust on a links when it’s in a little pot bunker middle of the fairway 😂
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

They would love Woodhall spa
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:49 pm They would love Woodhall spa
Is that for long hitters or is it sneaky like a links course?
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:51 pm A lot of Americans hate the Open. They want to hit 380 yard drives that stop dead. Imagine their disgust on a links when it’s in a little pot bunker middle of the fairway 😂
They also are mainly fine weather players - they usually grow up and/or go to college in either Florida, Carolina or California. A few drops of rain and wind over 10mph and they break out in a cold sweat.

Dechambeau didn't manage to overpower Augusta. End of the day it beat him up when it counted. I think that's Rory's problem there - he takes out his driver too often. He was shocking on the par 5's last week - and he shouldn't be. He needs to hits to take Gary Player's route - hit thousands of balls from 100 yards and in. Like Gary said - "the more I practice, the luckier I get". :)
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:48 pm Jack was more particular and said an Open at St Andrews. Like you say it’s almost a different game and shows adaptability. It’s why I love watching Spieth. Brilliant imagination.
Tom Watson did a tv interview before Turnberry when he was 2nd to Kitchen Cink. I totally believed he’d go close after that. He said the course & the wind are great levellers and he was the best wind player bar none.
No one can claim real greatness unless they have won all four majors. It’s a tiny club. That’s my opinion.
Yeah I agree re the USPGA. Tin pot major but I’d take it 😂
That is a small club - Jack, Tiger, Gary, Hagen and Hogan. I cant see that being repeated anytime soon. Somebody has got to play great golf for more than 2 seasons on the trot - we haven't seen that of late.

Agree about Watson being a great wind player - as good as Jack and Tiger. Pity he's such a grumpy dick :-D
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

malcolmw wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:19 pm Agree Chilli - women's golf is great to watch, and Nellie's performance of late has been incredible. She has won from the front and has also won coming from behind.
Her win at the women's matchplay last weekend was a good example. Poor Leona Maguire never had a chance in the final - although she did keep fighting. She could be a factor this week.
I'm looking forward to the first major this weekend. I find it more relatable frankly - us weekend hackers cant really identify with how the guys are hitting wedges 160 yards and driver wedge into a 600 yard par 5!. Mind you golfers like Nellie are smoking their drivers over 270 at times - pretty amazing. My favourite player on the tour is Lydia Ko. Love her swing and her humble approach.

BTW - that golf course where they played the women's matchplay in Las Vegas will cost you $1,200 for a round. Just mentioning that in case anyone is planning a golf weekend :roflmao: We have rellies down there and they were saying its now even more expensive than the course virtually on The Strip at Wynn.
Agree about Lydia Ko, Malcolm.
She is very humble and always seems genuinely pleased for whoever wins the tournament.
I love watching Charley Hull. On her day she's up there with Nelly but she's not as consistent on a regular basis.
Had to feel for her last year, she was second four times including in two majors. Hoping she can claim one this year.
$1200 for a round of golf 😱
My society won't be going there.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Jaydog wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:12 pm Is that for long hitters or is it sneaky like a links course?
6500 off the yellows bunkers galore you can't see out of . Like to say it's fun but I ain't sure 😁
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:49 pm They would love Woodhall spa
I think you have to be 18 handicap or lower to play there don't you MJS?
That would rule out three quarters of my society 😂
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

(24) it's an experience..
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:43 pm 6500 off the yellows bunkers galore you can't see out of . Like to say it's fun but I ain't sure 😁
Yeah it’s fun. Like a links in a gale when the winds blowing sideways. A sort of perverted fun.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

malcolmw wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:21 pm That is a small club - Jack, Tiger, Gary, Hagen and Hogan. I cant see that being repeated anytime soon. Somebody has got to play great golf for more than 2 seasons on the trot - we haven't seen that of late.

Agree about Watson being a great wind player - as good as Jack and Tiger. Pity he's such a grumpy dick :-D
The greatest. Jack for me is number 1 but that’s mostly because I followed him round quite a few Opens back in the day.
We had the Dunlop Masters at our local club St Pierre in south wales back then. Had a top field. Faldo, Langer, Woosie etc etc. Gary Player was always there. A real gent. Could chat to him in the car park, get an autograph. Was totally chilled back then. Just mingle with the players. Some more friendly than others 😁
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:38 pm Agree about Lydia Ko, Malcolm.
She is very humble and always seems genuinely pleased for whoever wins the tournament.
I love watching Charley Hull. On her day she's up there with Nelly but she's not as consistent on a regular basis.
Had to feel for her last year, she was second four times including in two majors. Hoping she can claim one this year.
$1200 for a round of golf 😱
My society won't be going there.
I like Charley too. Powerful player. I think she beats herself up a bit sometimes when she's having a bad round. A bit like Lexi Thompson - both play under their potential a bit to me because of the mental side.
I also like Georgia Hall - seems like a really nice person.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:32 pm The greatest. Jack for me is number 1 but that’s mostly because I followed him round quite a few Opens back in the day.
We had the Dunlop Masters at our local club St Pierre in south wales back then. Had a top field. Faldo, Langer, Woosie etc etc. Gary Player was always there. A real gent. Could chat to him in the car park, get an autograph. Was totally chilled back then. Just mingle with the players. Some more friendly than others 😁
Those were the days hey! When you could go and watch those great players and just walk alongside the fairway with them. Could even hear what they were saying to their caddie.

Just seen a report that social media have been circulating rumours about Rory going to LIV. He's just been interviewed at the RBC Heritage at Hilton Head (this week's tournament).
Here's an extract of his interview: (its on Twitter)

"I will play the PGA Tour for the rest of my career," he told Golf Channel's Todd Lewis, leaving no room for interpretation.

I honestly don't know how these things get started," he said. "I've never been offered a number from LIV, and I've never contemplated going to LIV. Again, I think I've made it clear over the last two years that I don't think it's something for me … my future is here on the PGA Tour and it's never been any different."

Earlier on Tuesday, McIlroy's manager Sean O'Flaherty called the reports of a deal "fake news" with "zero truth" in an email to the Irish Independent, but it wasn't exactly clear what part of the report he was referring to, leaving at least a sliver of doubt.

McIlroy's statement, by contrast, seemingly shuts the door entirely.

"It's never even been a conversation for us," he said. "It's one of those things. It's unfortunate that we have to deal with it, and this is the state that our game's in."
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

malcolmw wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:21 pm Those were the days hey! When you could go and watch those great players and just walk alongside the fairway with them. Could even hear what they were saying to their caddie.

Just seen a report that social media have been circulating rumours about Rory going to LIV. He's just been interviewed at the RBC Heritage at Hilton Head (this week's tournament).
Here's an extract of his interview: (its on Twitter)

"I will play the PGA Tour for the rest of my career," he told Golf Channel's Todd Lewis, leaving no room for interpretation.

I honestly don't know how these things get started," he said. "I've never been offered a number from LIV, and I've never contemplated going to LIV. Again, I think I've made it clear over the last two years that I don't think it's something for me … my future is here on the PGA Tour and it's never been any different."

Earlier on Tuesday, McIlroy's manager Sean O'Flaherty called the reports of a deal "fake news" with "zero truth" in an email to the Irish Independent, but it wasn't exactly clear what part of the report he was referring to, leaving at least a sliver of doubt.

McIlroy's statement, by contrast, seemingly shuts the door entirely.

"It's never even been a conversation for us," he said. "It's one of those things. It's unfortunate that we have to deal with it, and this is the state that our game's in."
Seve at Wentworth with the crowd literally on his shoulder behind him. Someone makes a noise. “Stay still if you don’t mind please. I know you’re nervous, I am too” 😂

It would be unthinkable for Rory to turn. It would ruin him. The biggest critic of LIV.
The money cracks me up. Scheffler has earnt 15 million $ this year. What are Rahms career earnings. Ridiculous greed.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Rahm supposedly got 300 mill$ from LIV.
Still don’t get it. He said “I have a duty to my family”.
PGA earnings were 71 mill$ plus European tour plus endorsements. 150 mill$ easily. How much do you need even allowing for the tax he pays.
Rory has been offered 850mill$
Allegedly
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:49 pm Rahm supposedly got 300 mill$ from LIV.
Still don’t get it. He said “I have a duty to my family”.
PGA earnings were 71 mill$ plus European tour plus endorsements. 150 mill$ easily. How much do you need even allowing for the tax he pays.
Rory has been offered 850mill$
Allegedly
In this interview Rory claims there has never been any numbers discussed with LIV.
Well that's what gets up my nose is when LIV were first recruiting, I recall seeing an interview with Rahm saying he'd been fortunate enough to earn more money for him and his family than he could ever spend, so he was staying at the PGA.

What price your values and integrity. As you say - Seve would be disgusted with his fellow country men - I'm including whiner-Sergio in there too.
I expected it from dickheads like Mickelson, DeShambles, w**ker-Reed and so on - but expected more from big Jon. Oh well - you made your bed - go and lie in it. Under no circumstances should they play in the Ryder Cup.