Super League

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Super League

Post by 1964white »

Challenge Cup finalists Leeds moved up to fourth in Super League with a 22-40 victory over a Hull FC

Screenshot 2020-10-11 at 09.06.37.png
1964white

Re: Sports Newsflash

Post by 1964white »

Rhinos seem to be coming out of the doldrums which is great for the city of Leeds :rugby:

Sadly Swannie's Wakey are still asleep :sleep:

Screenshot 2020-10-11 at 09.10.47.png
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Love this thread Leon.

Yes, sadly Wakey Trinity are struggling. It's a good job that Toronto pulled out of Super League, therefore there will be no relegation this season.....
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

whiteswan wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:04 am Love this thread Leon.

Yes, sadly Wakey Trinity are struggling. It's a good job that Toronto pulled out of Super League, therefore there will be no relegation this season.....
I was about to post my sadness at Trinity's demise, even if they have teetered on and off with relegation for a number of years, it would have been sad to see the only professional sport outfit in Wakefield get relegated at this particular time. Thankfully, as you confirmed, looks like they'll stay up and hopefully manage to survive with the trickle of TV money they'll get. If they had got relegated I would have expected that would have been the nail in the coffin. Sad for the top team below whom moving up to Super League should have been assured.

I happen to still have a 1979 Challenge Cup final scarf that my dad gave me. It's a bit shaggy now having worn it through the 90s to school and university. I seem to recall it was Trinity's last appearance in the Challenge Cup final.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Onto Rugby League

Leeds Rhinos head coach Richard Agar has, predictably, chosen a young squad v Warrington tonight with Saturday's Challenge Cup final against Salford Red Devils in mind.

Warrington Wolves have injury probems & are without Jake Mamo, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Blake Austin, Mike Cooper and Joe Philbin
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Lumiukko wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:05 pm I was about to post my sadness at Trinity's demise, even if they have teetered on and off with relegation for a number of years, it would have been sad to see the only professional sport outfit in Wakefield get relegated at this particular time. Thankfully, as you confirmed, looks like they'll stay up and hopefully manage to survive with the trickle of TV money they'll get. If they had got relegated I would have expected that would have been the nail in the coffin. Sad for the top team below whom moving up to Super League should have been assured.

I happen to still have a 1979 Challenge Cup final scarf that my dad gave me. It's a bit shaggy now having worn it through the 90s to school and university. I seem to recall it was Trinity's last appearance in the Challenge Cup final.
Nice post Lumiukko :) as a Wakey lass I have a real soft spot for Trinity. Also, my Mum used to walk from Wrenthorpe (3.5 miles) to Belle View to watch Trinity with her friends, in her late teens ( she was 90 last month). I actually got her to a game about 3 years ago...
I agree that if Wakey had got relegated it would have been a difficult journey back to Superleague, they don't seem to have much money behind them. Such a shame for one of the founder members....
I'm impressed re your scarf :-D
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:31 pm Such a shame for one of the founder members....
Very much so Swannie

I remember watching Trinity playing Leeds at Headingley in the 60's as a kid, the days when four of us use to sneak into the ground :lol:
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

whiteswan wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:31 pm Nice post Lumiukko :) as a Wakey lass I have a real soft spot for Trinity. Also, my Mum used to walk from Wrenthorpe (3.5 miles) to Belle View to watch Trinity with her friends, in her late teens ( she was 90 last month). I actually got her to a game about 3 years ago...
I agree that if Wakey had got relegated it would have been a difficult journey back to Superleague, they don't seem to have much money behind them. Such a shame for one of the founder members....
I'm impressed re your scarf :-D
About two years ago, I was home in early July for a few days on the way to South Africa with a Canadian buddy of mine. It was the day of the England Sweden World Cup quarter final. We met up with my childhood best mate at the Old Printworks pub on Westgate to watch the football game. Afterwards, on the happier tipsy side of things, and on a whim, decided to go to Belle Vue and watch the Super League game between trinity and Catalans. My Canadian friend had never seen anything like it. Cheap gate ticket, standing on a crumbling stand, pie and peas, 5 fosters for 10 quid, and listening to one of the old boys in a flat cap standing in front shouting (when Catalan intercepted and ran a 50yd try), "Where were you in 1939?". The day was capped off with a night out in Leeds (another "experience" for a provincial Canadian).

Btw, congrats on your mum making 90! Good innings that.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Expected defeat for the Rhinos at Warrington tonight after fielding a young team

32-6
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Salford duo Dan Sarginson and Jack Ormondroyd will miss out on Saturday's Challenge Cup final against Leeds after testing positive for Covid-19.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Top v bottom

Difficult game for Swannie/Lumi's team at St Helens tonight
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:55 pm Top v bottom

Difficult game for Swannie/Lumi's team at St Helens tonight
Last time I looked it was 30 -0 :( ... I honestly think that the Wakey players have given up as there is no relegation and no fans to have to answer to. I do wonder if Chris Chester has lost the dressing room :duno:
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Lumiukko wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:16 pm About two years ago, I was home in early July for a few days on the way to South Africa with a Canadian buddy of mine. It was the day of the England Sweden World Cup quarter final. We met up with my childhood best mate at the Old Printworks pub on Westgate to watch the football game. Afterwards, on the happier tipsy side of things, and on a whim, decided to go to Belle Vue and watch the Super League game between trinity and Catalans. My Canadian friend had never seen anything like it. Cheap gate ticket, standing on a crumbling stand, pie and peas, 5 fosters for 10 quid, and listening to one of the old boys in a flat cap standing in front shouting (when Catalan intercepted and ran a 50yd try), "Where were you in 1939?". The day was capped off with a night out in Leeds (another "experience" for a provincial Canadian).

Btw, congrats on your mum making 90! Good innings that.
Thanks Lumiukko.

Your story is brilliant but so true. You explain a visit to Belle View perfectly :lol: The last time I went, 2 or 3 years ago now, it was so difficult to even work out where we could sit, no seat numbers on tickets, no seat numbers on seats, just different coloured seats and no-one who worked there knew where we could sit either :lol: I think we moved seats 3 times.....
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:31 pm Last time I looked it was 30 -0 :( ... I honestly think that the Wakey players have given up as there is no relegation and no fans to have to answer to. I do wonder if Chris Chester has lost the dressing room :duno:
The good news Wakey scored Swannie

Bad news......48-6 FT

Don't worry, other teams teams will endure batterings at St Helens
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

1964white wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:40 pm The good news Wakey scored Swannie

Bad news......48-6 FT

Don't worry, other teams teams will endure batterings at St Helens
Dismal but quite expected loss there.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:38 pm Thanks Lumiukko.

Your story is brilliant but so true. You explain a visit to Belle View perfectly :lol: The last time I went, 2 or 3 years ago now, it was so difficult to even work out where we could sit, no seat numbers on tickets, no seat numbers on seats, just different coloured seats and no-one who worked there knew where we could sit either :lol: I think we moved seats 3 times.....
It is a step back into the past for sure. I don't think anyone cares where anyone parks themselves (though on a rainy evening that might be different :) ). I was over in the standing area in the corner near to the toilets by the Doncaster Road entrance on the townside of the ground.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Lumiukko wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:59 pm It is a step back into the past for sure. I don't think anyone cares where anyone parks themselves (though on a rainy evening that might be different :) ). I was over in the standing area in the corner near to the toilets by the Doncaster Road entrance on the townside of the ground.
You warm the cockles of my heart by talking about my beloved Trinity.... :)
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:09 am You warm the cockles of my heart by talking about my beloved Trinity.... :)
Glad to be of service! :)
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Lumiukko wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:24 pm Glad to be of service! :)
Thank You Sir.... :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2020-10-17 at 08.02.21.png

Leeds legend Rob Burrow has been named as chief guest "in absentia" for Today's Challenge Cup final between the Rhinos and Salford at Wembley. 3pm

Burrow announced in December 2019 that he had been diagnosed with motor neurone disease (MND).

The 38-year-old won the Challenge Cup twice as a Leeds player, scoring a try in their 2015 win over Hull KR.

Last week he turned down an invitation to attend the final, which will be played behind closed doors, in person.

But Rugby Football League chairman Simon Johnson said Burrow remains "central to the day and in all our hearts as he and the rest of the rugby league community this year watch the final from home".

Johnson added: "Rob represents the best of the sport. An inspirational player, a dedicated father, husband and son, and now an inspiration as a campaigner, Rob is beloved by everyone in rugby league and by many, many friends of our sport.

"For this highly unusual Challenge Cup final - with no supporters in the ground, and no traditional presentation of the trophy - we are delighted that he accepted our invitation to be chief guest in absentia."