Burnley v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Klich and Firpo unavailable

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Burnley v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Klich and Firpo unavailable

Post by Ellandback1 »

Sunday 29th August 14:00 | Turf Moor

Leeds face a lunchtime kick off at local rivals Burnley on Sunday, as Leeds look to build on their positive 2-2 draw last weekend against Everton.

Diego Llorente could be set to return to the starting eleven following a successful midweek comeback. The Spanish International suffered a knock during pre season which has kept him sidelined for a month. e played for 45 minutes during their 3-0 League Cup victory over Crewe Alexandra. Bielsa now faces the dilemma of whether to keep faith with the Cooper / Struijk partnership. The duo have shipped seven goals in two outings; alternatively Llorente could be bought back in the fold. If the Spanish International does start, who should Bielsa drop? Fellow centre back Robin Koch is ruled out after picking up a late injury prior to the Everton game.

Long term absentee Adam Forshaw continued on his road to recovery with another 60 minutes of game time. The 29 year old looked sharp during his display against the Railwaymen. He could very well find himself on the bench at Turf Moor, it's clear Bielsa admires him as a player and thinks he could play a big part this season. Rodrigo's inconsistent form has continued and we could expect to see him start on the bench with a midfield quartet of Harrison, Dallas, Klich and Raphinha all set to start.

Burnley duo Ashley Westwood and Matej Vydra face late fitness tests with boss Sean Dyche hopefull they will be available. The duo missed the 2-0 loss at Liverpool last weekend with a sore toe and a minor knock respectively. Aaron Lennon rejoined Burnley this week, starting Wednesday's game against Newcastle, so could face his old side. Form is not on the side of the Lancashire team, the Clarets have equalled a 42-year-old club record by going 11 successive home league games without a win and could lose six top-flight matches in a row for the first time since 1895.

Last season saw an edgy encounter between the two teams at Elland Road. Leeds came away 1-0 winners but Sean Dyche was fuming at the award of a penalty to Leeds after Nick Pope took out Patrick Bamford in the penalty. Bamford duly converted from the spot. Dyche’s frustrations would grow as Ashley Barnes controversially had a strike ruled out for an adjudged foul from Ben Mee on Illan Meslier. The return fixture at Turf Moor was a different affair, Leeds running out easy 4-0 winners with goals from Mateusz Klich, Jack Harrison and a brace from Rodrigo.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Burnley v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Leeds1000 »

Workin again for thisen. I am beginning to think my manager is out to get me. I am hoping to catch this one on repeat on my stick tho. Ruff & tumble its Sean Dyche's Burnley...They eat nails, they eat wood, they eat glass. Grrrrrrrr

Another draw for me.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Llorente back hopefully ... That will make a huge difference defensively
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
rondownunder
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by rondownunder »

I thought Cooper's wrestling antics last week should mean he is benched, but I can't see it. Struijk is the future beyond Llorente, but doubt Bielsa rocks the boat.

Hoping for a repeat of our game in May!
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Cooper should take up WWE, he aint no footballer, Llorente & Struijk for me also until Koch is back (if he's ever fit again) until then, if we get Leo, pop him in.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Leeds have played 32 games since Diego Llorente’s debut, 16 with him and 16 without him. In the games without him, Leeds have conceded 35 goals (one every 50 minutes). With him, Leeds have conceded just 12 goals (one every 111 minutes with him on the pitch)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Burnley fans really don't like us although I already knew that from several visits to Turf Moor, one or two good points.

What are Leeds getting right?

https://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboa ... =2&t=56651
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:57 am Burnley fans really don't like us although I already knew that from several visits to Turf Moor, one or two good points.

What are Leeds getting right?

https://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboa ... =2&t=56651
Now our fans are back attending matches all the other fans will remember why they don't like Leeds and they'll turn against us :)

I watched Burnley against LFC last week and they did ok tbh, so it won't be a rollover, but I believe we'll beat them, especially if Cooper is dropped in favour of Llorente :duno:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:43 am Leeds have played 32 games since Diego Llorente’s debut, 16 with him and 16 without him. In the games without him, Leeds have conceded 35 goals (one every 50 minutes). With him, Leeds have conceded just 12 goals (one every 111 minutes with him on the pitch)
That's an amazing contrast Leon, he really does solidify our defence. He's also very comfortable on the ball, so is another base to start our forward movement and he does pose a threat at set-pieces. If he could stay free from injury you could argue that he's been as good a buy as Raphinha.
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

White Riot wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:03 am Now our fans are back attending matches all the other fans will remember why they don't like Leeds and they'll turn against us :)

I watched Burnley against LFC last week and they did ok tbh, so it won't be a rollover, but I believe we'll beat them, especially if Cooper is dropped in favour of Llorente :duno:
The answer is simple: We are a big club and they aren't! :)
We play Bielsaball they play Dycheball.
We don't take cup competitions seriously either yet we gat 34,000 on a wet Tuesday night v Crewe, I doubt Burnley would get half of that attendance even if they gave their tickets away free in a packet of cornflakes. (which they probably do) :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:06 am That's an amazing contrast Leon, he really does solidify our defence. He's also very comfortable on the ball, so is another base to start our forward movement and he does pose a threat at set-pieces. If he could stay free from injury you could argue that he's been as good a buy as Raphinha.
It's quite concerning when are so reliant on Llorente in our back four especially as he seems injury prone.

Same with Kalvin in his role too!
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:25 pm It's quite concerning when are so reliant on Llorente in our back four especially as he seems injury prone.

Same with Kalvin in his role too!
Well we've had Raphinha as the only one of our four signings from last summer who seems to be available most of the time, barring that assault by Fernandinho. So we have a squad that lacks quality in depth, and then in a number of positions we have players that can often be unavailable due to injury or suspension: KP being the biggest hole, both of our right CBs and Cooper too.

This is partially why I was keen on us recruiting and improving the squad this summer.

If KP and Llorente become unavailable we lack cohesion offensively and defensively.

But maybe Radz believes Forshaw is the answer to all our prayers?
1964white

Re: Burnley v Leeds Utd Match Thread/Apparently KLICH & FIRPO unavailable today!

Post by 1964white »

It's one injury after another with LUFC.

Bielsa never gives this information in his press conferences, what is the point of them?

Have we signed another crock in Firpo?
1964white

Re: Burnley v Leeds Utd Match Thread/Apparently KLICH & FIRPO unavailable today!

Post by 1964white »

Alioski wasn't injured much like the new LB is :(
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:50 am Alioski wasn't injured much like the new LB is :(
We will miss Ali imo :love:

His fitness, his energy and as you say he never got injured, always available.

Not to mention he was one of the few players we had who could make an impact off the bench.

Come back Ali :cry:
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Also Klich and Firpo injured? Where's that from?

Not to worry we are stacked at left back, Dallas can play there and at central midfield we are over burdened with options, Dallas can play . . . Oh
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

1964white wrote:It's one injury after another with LUFC.

Bielsa never gives this information in his press conferences, what is the point of them?

Have we signed another crock in Firpo?
What makes you think that 64 ?

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:02 am We will miss Ali imo :love:

His fitness, his energy and as you say he never got injured, always available.

Not to mention he was one of the few players we had who could make an impact off the bench.

Come back Ali :cry:
Shame Alioski didn't stay as our squad is wafer-thin especially with left-backs Huggins & Davis gone whom probably weren't good enough tbh. As you say Ali actually made an impact off the bench contrary to our PL subs now.

Doesn't excuse the fact we only have one official LB :(
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Can't see the Klich/Firpo injuries reported anywhere.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'd have kept both Berardi and Alio but maybe we couldn't guarantee starts so when given the choice off they went. We did offer Alio a contract I think
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"