Junior Firpo

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Junior Firpo

Post by SG90 »

Time for Byram to come back in now he's fit again
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

SG90 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:03 am Time for Byram to come back in now he's fit again
100%
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:01 am “So that’s definitely STILL going to be a priority.”
😉
Yup. I think our last settled left back was Charlie Taylor. Our best since have all been makeshifts. Barry Douglas looked the right signing but didn't work for us. Leif Davis could have been had we hung onto him. But probably wouldn't be where he is now without dropping down 2 leagues.

So. Yeah. Still in the market for a left back.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

CUSSIE01 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:23 am Should have been THE priority in January.
I think it was the priority until we sent Djed Spence packing and allowed Ayling to leave. At which point we had an OK left back but only a midfielder filling in at right back.
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

DDB220 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:38 am I thought Firpo in the main did a decent job last night. He has certainly learned not to dive in, which was a problem for his first two seasons. He took a booking on a Sterling mistimed tackle but it was a good tactical foul as they were breaking. He made a few good recoveries last night. The limitations he has defensively have been largely negated with the system we play and the double pivot.
The winner for Chelsea at the death had a lot of moving parts, it was a decent incisive move and the defending was typical of a leg weary defence thinking about extra time.
He will leave in the summer unless we have a recruitment issue for that position.
Hands up, I’ve been watching football for a long time, but I had to look up the “ double pivot “. Makes sense now I’ve caught up, must start using that with my mates.
Keeping The Faith
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

CUSSIE01 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:52 pm Hands up, I’ve been watching football for a long time, but I had to look up the “ double pivot “. Makes sense now I’ve caught up, must start using that with my mates.
I think it originates from the Karma Sutra. Be careful which mates you try it with.
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:59 pm I think it originates from the Karma Sutra. Be careful which mates you try it with.
🤣🤣🤣
Keeping The Faith
Pullhard
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Pullhard »

He looks a lot fitter. Seems to have shed a few pounds and is more mobile.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Pullhard wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:10 pm He looks a lot fitter. Seems to have shed a few pounds and is more mobile.
He is still the slowest footballer I have seen for a long time to get up off the floor when he is not injured. Stamina is not his forte. But he is abit of a unit. He has grown on me this season in many ways.
He has shown a fair amount of resilience and character as he has been much maligned on Titter ( intentional).
Would have broken a fair few player’s psychologically. Remember the pineapple on his head player. Pre social media and he fell apart.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Perhaps i shudda posted this here...

Kennyb41 wrote: ↑Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:11 am
Reet, i've just gone over this a number of times, and i'm not looking to jump on the guy, but what the feck does Firpo go to Gallaghers left for for that goal, i just don't get it, he's got to see the trajection of the ball and where it's coming to Gallagher and he just has to get goal side, wtf is he doing going to Gallaghers left for ???

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/68418575
Can someone please attempt this ^

I'm not picking out Firpo coz of the usual, if it was Cooper or anyone else i'd be asking the same, doesn't anyone else see this ? I'm not interested in the build up ,but even i as just a non league footballer (ex) would've either won the ball incoming with a clean tackle or just got to the balls direction and blocked out the player the ball and the chance by smothering him and it.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:21 am He is still the slowest footballer I have seen for a long time to get up off the floor when he is not injured. Stamina is not his forte. But he is abit of a unit. He has grown on me this season in many ways.
He has shown a fair amount of resilience and character as he has been much maligned on Titter ( intentional).
Would have broken a fair few player’s psychologically. Remember the pineapple on his head player. Pre social media and he fell apart.
Still not a good defender, rarely stops crosses coming into our box if he's on the premises, that is.

Firpo has other qualities though, but definitely not a traditional left-back.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Someone said he was signed primarily as a attacking LWB, but Shirley even if so, when it's comes to the simplest of defending that even as a attacking LWB he's at some point got to be expected to make some tackles ???
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:20 am Someone said he was signed primarily as a attacking LWB, but Shirley even if so, when it's comes to the simplest of defending that even as a attacking LWB he's at some point got to be expected to make some tackles ???
We won't get away with his inability to defend in the Premier League, we didn't last time!
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:25 am We won't get away with his inability to defend in the Premier League, we didn't last time!
Not a cat in hells.

;@)
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:25 am We won't get away with his inability to defend in the Premier League, we didn't last time!
I do not subscribe to the suggestion he was signed as a LBW. He was a replacement for Alioski. The fact that Firpo is most effective as a wing back does not exclude the fact that Bielsa wanted his fullbacks to get up and down the flanks and provide the overload. The vast majority of attacking teams play like this, it is just what is demanded of a modern day fullback.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:05 pm I do not subscribe to the suggestion he was signed as a LBW. He was a replacement for Alioski. The fact that Firpo is most effective as a wing back does not exclude the fact that Bielsa wanted his fullbacks to get up and down the flanks and provide the overload. The vast majority of attacking teams play like this, it is just what is demanded of a modern day fullback.
Firpo looks very decent going forward at this level. We'll need better when we go up.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

SG90 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:03 am Time for Byram to come back in now he's fit again
I don't think we should, Byram obviously has his niggles, I feel it's better to try and save him nice and fresh for the run in, we've got quite a decent run coming up fixture wise which shouldn't trouble Firpo much defensively, and he'll be able to get forward a lot, where he's been doing well.

If either of the two were to get injured going into the last 6 games, i'd prefer it to be Firpo, obviously i'd like both available.

Wrap Bygum in cotton wool, give him a good massage and rest, and get him primed.

We could do that with a few. I'd be somehow nursing PB as well.

;@)
BlancdeBlanc
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by BlancdeBlanc »

Nothing to do with his football, but the fact that he drives a Rolls Royce and looks like Little Richard somehow endears him to me.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

BlancdeBlanc wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:33 pm Nothing to do with his football, but the fact that he drives a Rolls Royce and looks like Little Richard somehow endears him to me.
Does he drive a Roller?
Old SubH & I reckon he looks like Clark Gable
Ipswich won’t fade. As predicted.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

We have Byram, Gray, Roberts & Shackleton all in front of the woeful Firpo.
Because he's naturally shite, er I mean left footed, he gets game time.
He;sgetting away with it in this league, for now.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"