Illan Meslier 

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by The Subhuman »

Aussieleeds wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:21 am So, using your theory, Bamford is possibly as good as Haaland … after all, it’s only the stats that separate them and they are meaningless, right?
He's right though ... despite your reductio ad absurdum
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

His punches yesterday had a bit of distance on them.

And nearly fell off my seat when he caught the ball.

His save percentage has improved.

And for the first time since he became number 1 he is not underperforming his xG conceded (conceding more goals than he should).

He is bang on.

Good lad Mes.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Cjay wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:33 pm His punches yesterday had a bit of distance on them.

And nearly fell off my seat when he caught the ball.

His save percentage has improved.

And for the first time since he became number 1 he is not underperforming his xG conceded (conceding more goals than he should).

He is bang on.

Good lad Mes.

Yea, just posted similar on the summerville thread, well done Mes :tup:
Apologies, rodon/ampadu/ struijk thread
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Eight straight league wins with only one goal conceded.

The defense has been incredible, but the goalie has to have something to do with that.

Mes was excellent yesterday. Commanded his area well and his distribution was superb.
ShaunL
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by ShaunL »

He looks like he’s gaining in confidence.
To see him take a clean catch from a cross was great to see.
He turns 24 next month & has nearly made 200 appearances.
If he was to bulk up a bit he really could command the box.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

A 15th clean sheet for our No.1 down in Devon.

6 excellent moments of play
Dominated his area with one save, a couple of clean punches, caught a cross & some decent distribution.

1 poor moment of play
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:08 pm Eight straight league wins with only one goal conceded.

The defense has been incredible, but the goalie has to have something to do with that.

Mes was excellent yesterday. Commanded his area well and his distribution was superb.
I feel someone will buy him coz of his composure with his feet.

Cue the fck up.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:08 pm Eight straight league wins with only one goal conceded.

Defending from the front, teams are scared of Leeds...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Prisoner37
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Prisoner37 »

Another doff of the cap in Herr Farke's for the improvement in Illan's performances.

At the end of last season his confidence was completely shot (and who's wouldn't be under a constant hail of fire).

DF has got rid on the non- goal keeper, goal keeper coach and has steadily built up the effectiveness of our defensive play.

Illan must feel much better protected including at corners where Little Willy stands in front of him. This is a stroke of genius as Illan can still reach over Willy as he stops their big guys trying to get in our keeper's way.

Hopefully this improvement will continue to build for Illan as will his transfer value on the back of all the clean sheets.
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

I said at the time his poor performances in the past, were more to do with a s**t defence in front of him than his own ability. Yes of course he made some mistakes that were purely down to himself but that was down to his confidence at the time, being rock bottom.
He has still a long way to go and to improve, but playing behind a much more solid defence will do him the world of good.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I thought Meslier was brilliant today.

Commanded his box.

3 saves, 2nd one was an instinctive save.
4 great punch clearances.
1 excellent long pass to one of the flanks
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:21 pm I thought Meslier was brilliant today.

Commanded his box.

Thought he was really good today, a touch unlucky with their goal too.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:24 pm Thought he was really good today, a touch unlucky with their goal too.
It was a fantastic cross, Meslier did well to block it, our defender (Firpo, I think) not quick enough to react to the ball as their scorer Helik.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:07 pm It was a fantastic cross, Meslier did well to block it, our defender (Firpo, I think) not quick enough to react to the ball as their scorer Helik.
Yep firpo :roll:
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @FollowMeAndLUFC

Post by Lufcheidi »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:07 pm It was a fantastic cross, Meslier did well to block it, our defender (Firpo, I think) not quick enough to react to the ball as their scorer Helik.
I don't normally take any notice of subs names but I had a feeling he'd turn out to score!
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

mentalcase wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:10 pm Yep firpo :roll:
Yes....just not quick enough
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:21 pm I thought Meslier was brilliant today.

Commanded his box.

Still rate Meslier as a top top keeper. Last season was a rough one for him. But it hasn't destroyed his confidence. Still only 24. Very young for a keeper. And he's played 162 games for us
1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:25 am Still rate Meslier as a top top keeper. Last season was a rough one for him. But it hasn't destroyed his confidence. Still only 24. Very young for a keeper. And he's played 162 games for us
I've seen some real clangers from goalies this season who regarded as top keepers in the Premier League.

24yo is young for a keeper who generally improve their game as they age.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

vs Sheff Wed

A couple of important stops, especially the one early on at 0-0. His long kick-started the move for the second goal.

I read at the beginning of the season, there were better keepers in the championship, well I haven't seen any.

In the modern game, keepers are expected to participate much more, almost playing as a third centre-back.

Like many goalies, Illan is maturing with age, and has done a fantastic job between the sticks.

Our new goalkeeping coach who came as part of Farke's team has no doubt helped Illan's game.
Ben Scooby lufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ben Scooby lufc »

I rate Ilan Melier! He's a good young keeper who's having a great season so far. His only real drawbacks he's had were due to our pathetic defending last season although didn't think that he should have been dropped of held to blame.
Only negatives this season.
He sometimes lacks the confidence to catch the ball and sometimes punches instead :wave: :wave: , but this season he commands the front, defence of goal like a star :star: plus he's made some vital saves at Leicester for example. :love:
;-) Yeboah against Liverpool :!: :!: Crossbar and in. :love: :love: