Illan Meslier 

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by Boo Radley »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:25 am If we weren't playing the style and formation we are i'd want a different keeper than Les Mes, we all know he can be 'flimsy' we all know he's not as commanding in the air as he should be, and we all know there's a mistake in him.

That goal v Hudds i don't panic about, that ball was struck well and i'm pretty sure i saw some wavering movement in it coz of the power, yes he should've done better, but keepers have mistakes in them.

But for LUFC atm Mes is ok, he's comfortable with his feet, thinking and passing, which is the vast majority of our and his play, he also has that top save from last night in him, he has bags of potential under some good coaching from a keeper, he's not too bad when he comes out to spread himself on the ground against an attacker.

He hasn't got it all, but he'll do for the present, and if we carry on in this style, we should make decent money on him coz there's not many out there good with their distribution and feet.

And he will improve, but we'll just have to live with his mistakes and hope like Hudds they're not costly.
Fair comment for me overall.

Meslier has mistakes in him, but for me, many could be coached out of him. His weakness in punching a ball clear or catching a high ball into the box are weakness that absolutely should be addressed by proper coaching - who is the Leeds keeper coach? Let's have a look at this person firstly if we want to improve the standard at Leeds.

I would worry about his tendency to be caught at the near post as that should nearly be covered by instinct for most keepers. Kudos to him for covering it immaculately at the death last night!

Finally, Meslier is still young in comparison to most 1st choice keepers in top level football. He's 23 and the average age of a keeper in the PL this season is just over 27 years. There are only 2 younger than him.

He will continue to improve, as long as we have a top quality keeper coach working with him.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Go look at the bloopers highlight reel of any keeper you believe would be a realistic upgrade on Mes.

All keepers make mistakes - he was behind a s**t defence for two seasons. He has 6 clean sheets this season and has pulled off top quality saves to maintain at least two of them that I can remember.

This suggestion he is weak at his near post is - I make no apologies, complete bollocks - it is assumed because he has been beaten at his near post, he is inherently vulnerable. ALL keepers get beaten at the near post from time to time.

I will always maintain he is a top keeper and will go on to have a stellar career.
airedale
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by airedale »

Mes claws it out.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

World class save from Mes last neet, ensured we came away with all 3 points, would have been a flaming travesty had we not won like, but such things happen in football, god knows what game their manager was watching with his pathetic comments, reminds me of arteta at ER last season, twat.
After his blooper last week against hudds, he more than made up for it, cwith nothing to do for 95 minutes he kept his concentration, well dome Mes.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Top class save from Mes. Going back to the goal he conceded against Huddersfield, people in the past said he doesn't try to catch the ball enough and palms the ball away too much. The goal Huddersfield scored in my opinion came from him trying to catch it when he would have been better to palm it away. Dammed if you do and dammed if you dont i suppose.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Save vs Leicester was outstanding.

But he's got a perfectly mid table record whereas top 2 goalies in the league play for the top 2.

Most underrated goalie Imo plays for Rotherham, Viktor Johansson.

Was one of the best goalies last season for a poor Rotherham side in these sort of tables.

He's up near the top again.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

It helps when Mes has a steady defence in front of him, we aren't leaking goals by the blue bucket load any more, if he dosen't have much to do, that's when his stats will probably drop, I can live with that.
It certainly helps to have a settled solid defence in front of any goalkeeper, long may it continue.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Prisoner37
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Prisoner37 »

Love him as I do, Coops will keep Illan on his toes come Saturday.
geronimo
First Team
First Team
Twitter: none

Post by geronimo »

Prisoner37 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:38 pm Love him as I do, Coops will keep Illan on his toes come Saturday.
That's another problem meslier goes to pieces when cooper is playing in front of him 😂 when he first came in to Leeds he was top drawer but is form as drastically deteriorated in the last 18 months due to the defensive issues in front of him
He was expected to keep the opposition at bay virtually single handedly at one time but as improved recently under farke still capable of lapses in concentration though
Leighton
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Leighton »

airedale wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:33 pm Image
Mes claws it out.
Does look a bit like it went over the line from this angle lol
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

Leighton wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:38 pm Does look a bit like it went over the line from this angle lol
Well, well, we've finally found Mikel Arteta lurking on this forum!!

This isn't over the line either Mikel, you big cry baby!! :lol:
Leighton
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Leighton »

Boo Radley wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:15 am Well, well, we've finally found Mikel Arteta lurking on this forum!!

This isn't over the line either Mikel, you big cry baby!! :lol:
Ha ha....no I'm very happy to agree it was no where near the line :)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Don't forget the whole of the ball has to cross the line which, from that pic, it seems it didn't...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Like most professional keepers he is capable of the odd spectacular save.

But he is imo a weakness.

His save percentage is notably lower than both the Ipswich and Leicester keepers
Signed

King Cjay

PhoenixUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PhoenixUnited »

".............That is very poor, especially with the players in front of him........".

Really? Have you been watching our matches?

It is no surprise that Meslier's record is looks none to great. He is a young man learning his trade and is constantly under pressure and has a hell of a lot of work to do with a defence in front of him that leaks like a sieve when attacked. Don't get fooled by the number of clean sheets - they paper over the cracks of the reality. We do not have the wherewithal to shut up shop IMHO and we get sucker punched far, far too often

We have a makeshift right back all of 17 years of age and another on loan who has not managed to make an appearance as yet, 17 games into the season with a vague indication that he would be ready after this last International break. Luke Ayling, bless him, is short of what is required to be able to play in the Championship. So we do not have a right back of decent quality

At left back we have Sam Byram who looks OK there but is being played out of position and his track record around injuries is not great so you have to hold your breath. Only one word for our supposed left back Junior Firpo - Meh! Apparently a converted winger but I'm afraid no defender any which way you want to cut it and is short of what is required to be able to play in this position. So we do not have a left back of decent quality and have not had for many a season nor does it seem to be any sort of priority for the club.

At Centre Back we have Rondon and Struijk which is a good partnership of quality. However, if one of this pair gets injured or is unavailable and there is no cover available. Like Ayling, Cooper is now short of what is required to be able to play in the Championship. I don't know what gives with Charlie Cresswell but none of the managers he has come under seem minded to give him a chance to show what he can / could do.
Keep The Faith MOT WAL
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

PhoenixUnited wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:53 pm ".............That is very poor, especially with the players in front of him........".

Really? Have you been watching our matches?

It is no surprise that Meslier's record is looks none to great. He is a young man learning his trade and is constantly under pressure and has a hell of a lot of work to do with a defence in front of him that leaks like a sieve when attacked. Don't get fooled by the number of clean sheets - they paper over the cracks of the reality. We do not have the wherewithal to shut up shop IMHO and we get sucker punched far, far too often

We have a makeshift right back all of 17 years of age and another on loan who has not managed to make an appearance as yet, 17 games into the season with a vague indication that he would be ready after this last International break. Luke Ayling, bless him, is short of what is required to be able to play in the Championship. So we do not have a right back of decent quality

At left back we have Sam Byram who looks OK there but is being played out of position and his track record around injuries is not great so you have to hold your breath. Only one word for our supposed left back Junior Firpo - Meh! Apparently a converted winger but I'm afraid no defender any which way you want to cut it and is short of what is required to be able to play in this position. So we do not have a left back of decent quality and have not had for many a season nor does it seem to be any sort of priority for the club.

At Centre Back we have Rondon and Struijk which is a good partnership of quality. However, if one of this pair gets injured or is unavailable and there is no cover available. Like Ayling, Cooper is now short of what is required to be able to play in the Championship. I don't know what gives with Charlie Cresswell but none of the managers he has come under seem minded to give him a chance to show what he can / could do.
None of that impacts his save percentage though.

He makes the least saves per game in the league and faces the least shots per game.

But his save percentage is not far off the worst in the league.
Signed

King Cjay

Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Cjay wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:06 pm
Like most professional keepers he is capable of the odd spectacular save.

But he is imo a weakness.

His save percentage is notably lower than both the Ipswich and Leicester keepers
He should have saved that comfortably last night. The problem is, the cover we've brought in, isn't much of an improvement either.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:57 pm None of that impacts his save percentage though.

He makes the least saves per game in the league and faces the least shots per game.

But his save percentage is not far off the worst in the league.
I would agree with you CJay and the argument that some use about having a sh*t defence in front of him has no substance. My Dad played in goal for a lot of sh*t sides and he was regularly player of the season as he kept the score down and would make countless saves. Often keepers for poor teams look better because they have the oportunity to make lots of saves. Messlier didn't do that for us last season.

I also agree with Overman that Messlier should have saved that last night and I would have expected most keepers to have saved it comfortably.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:20 pm I would agree with you CJay and the argument that some use about having a sh*t defence in front of him has no substance. My Dad played in goal for a lot of sh*t sides and he was regularly player of the season as he kept the score down and would make countless saves. Often keepers for poor teams look better because they have the oportunity to make lots of saves. Messlier didn't do that for us last season.

I also agree with Overman that Messlier should have saved that last night and I would have expected most keepers to have saved it comfortably.
I’ll have a wild guess here but is your dad David Seaman? It is isn’t it.
That was very welsh 😂
He was wasn’t he. That’s better.
He is isn’t he.
Got there in the end 😂
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:20 pm I would agree with you CJay and the argument that some use about having a sh*t defence in front of him has no substance. My Dad played in goal for a lot of sh*t sides and he was regularly player of the season as he kept the score down and would make countless saves. Often keepers for poor teams look better because they have the oportunity to make lots of saves. Messlier didn't do that for us last season.

I think DF (hope) knows his shortcomings, we all do, but he inherited him so what can he do.....make the most of what he's got, and try and play some football that suits,

Mes is pretty decent with his feet, after that, it's a lottery with him.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)