Staffordshire bull terriers

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Wolfetoneleeds
Manager
Manager

Post by Wolfetoneleeds »

What's your views on these dags?

Deadly?
Up to the owners way they turn out?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Staffordshire bull terriers

Post by 1964white »

Wolfetoneleeds wrote:What's your views on these dags?

Deadly?
Up to the owners way they turn out?
Unfortunately Wolfie these type of dogs are owned by the yob society in the main, probably a status symbol
Wolfetoneleeds
Manager
Manager

Post by Wolfetoneleeds »

1964white wrote:
Unfortunately Wolfie these type of dogs are owned by the yob society in the main, probably a status symbol
Haha makes me laugh when I see a young "tit" walking with these dogs, big metal chain, with a can of tenants!!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Wolfetoneleeds wrote: Haha makes me laugh when I see a young "tit" walking with these dogs, big metal chain, with a can of tenants!!
Probably their dogs enjoy a drink
gessa

Post by gessa »

Wolfetoneleeds wrote: Haha makes me laugh when I see a young "tit" walking with these dogs, big metal chain, with a can of tenants!!
They're in every town.
20 years ago , people had pride owing a full thorough bred staffie, it was around this time people started cross breeding them, which is the big problem for these dogs, also they have a massive amount of energy which needs burning off with lots of exercise, if not they get bored and destructive, people have dogs without really knowing how to look after them.They are loyal and protective. Unfortunately they have become a symbol of machoism from the neanderthals of our land. I think some of the idiots that are the owners of these dogs need putting down before the dogs they own. Having said that even one's owned by responsible owners should still be made to be kept on a lead and muzzled when off their own property, like the vast majority of dogs in my opinion. I've lost count of the times whilst out walking in our local forest,that I've seen kids shaking and crying with fear as someones Labrador, German Shepherd etc is around them while their owner is 100 mtrs away running up shouting, she won't hurt you she loves kids, unfortunately to a 4 year old with a dog bigger than it running full pelt toward it doesn't know that.All dogs on leads which should be strictly enforced should be the law in my opinion.I know a lot of these killings / maulings of kids seem to be at a family members home but not all.
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

I've "owned" a wonderful Anatolian Shepherd dog. We had her from an early age as her mother was poisoned in Turkey and the pups were smuggled out and back to Holland by friends of ours.
These dogs are on the EU "banned" list as they are usually bred for fighting - but ours was the sweetest dog, as we raised her properly and with love. Bloody massive thing tho :shock: Like about this size when she was 3!

Never aggressive tho, unless anyone threatened us. Not many people did, BTW.... :lol:

I still maintain the is no such thing as a "bad" dog. Just fuktard owners. I know pitbulls and staffies and dobys who are absolute lambs, as they were raised by loving owners.
I have more problems with shyte little jack russels and corgis - now they are little aggressive sods. :x
Drs.Dad
Manager
Manager

Post by Drs.Dad »

Perhaps mistakenly chosen as an example! Staffordshire Bull Terriers are, believe it or not, one of the sweetest natured dogs you could ever hope to come across, renowned as a great and loving family pet. The trouble is with the introduction of Pitbulls, and the crossbreeding of dogs for the Yob trade. Some Staffies are 'turned' against their basic nature, usually by ill treatment. The death of the child in the papers today was from a Pitbull attack, even the legislation from a few years ago has not eradicated them, they are all supposed to be neutered, and there are stringent fines and even jail time to those who ignore the law. Despite this, there are still those who breed Pitbulls. ANY dog subject to cruelty can become a danger, even the little 'uns can do serious damage to a human, but such problems are reasonably rare, because most people love and cherish their pets.
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

In every case it is down to the owner.

We had a Jack Russell for 12 happy years who was as soft as putty, and I have known lots of lovely staffies.

Simply put, dogs are pack animals and they look to their owners as pack leaders to set the example. They need to understand discipline (NOT cruelty) and will respond well if given firm direction and appropriate reward. A thug can train any animal to be vicious, similarly a breed known for aggression will be completely tame with the right attitude from the owner.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Twiggster wrote:I've "owned" a wonderful Anatolian Shepherd dog. We had her from an early age as her mother was poisoned in Turkey and the pups were smuggled out and back to Holland by friends of ours.
These dogs are on the EU "banned" list as they are usually bred for fighting - but ours was the sweetest dog, as we raised her properly and with love. Bloody massive thing tho :shock: Like about this size when she was 3!

Never aggressive tho, unless anyone threatened us. Not many people did, BTW.... :lol:

I still maintain the is no such thing as a "bad" dog. Just fuktard owners. I know pitbulls and staffies and dobys who are absolute lambs, as they were raised by loving owners.
I have more problems with shyte little jack russels and corgis - now they are little aggressive sods. :x
We used to keep Shepherds when I was a kid very protective but wonderful dogs in the right hands. My sister had a Jack Russell once, the most horrible little s**t of a dog, never trusted it for one minute.
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Guildford White wrote:In every case it is down to the owner.

We had a Jack Russell for 12 happy years who was as soft as putty, and I have known lots of lovely staffies.

Simply put, dogs are pack animals and they look to their owners as pack leaders to set the example. They need to understand discipline (NOT cruelty) and will respond well if given firm direction and appropriate reward. A thug can train any animal to be vicious, similarly a breed known for aggression will be completely tame with the right attitude from the owner.
Sums it up for me :tup:
ldsutd
First Team
First Team

Post by ldsutd »

We as a family have owned staffords for over 40 years and they are fantastic loving pets in the right hands.
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

ldsutd wrote:We as a family have owned staffords for over 40 years and they are fantastic loving pets in the right hands.

:tup:
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
Wolfetoneleeds
Manager
Manager

Post by Wolfetoneleeds »

Plenty of folk I know have them and they are nice dogs, still wouldn't have them around young kids though .

Al stick to borders or greyhounds
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Wolfetoneleeds wrote:Plenty of folk I know have them and they are nice dogs, still wouldn't have them around young kids though .

Al stick to borders or greyhounds
Boxers are daft as brushes, brought up with them until my mid 20's, my brother & his wife have owned Boxers all their life
ldsutd
First Team
First Team

Post by ldsutd »

The problem with staffords is that over the last 10/15 years idiots have been breeding them with allsorts and alot of them for sale in free ads etc are 4th and 5th generation crosses. A bloke at our work who knows i have a Stafford once said to me is it a short one or a long legged one? I said there is only one kind of proper Stafford the short stocky kind. To which he said no there are three kinds short, tall, thin. I said know there not proper staffords they have been crossed somewhere in there genes. That's the problem that we have now.
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

ldsutd wrote:The problem with staffords is that over the last 10/15 years idiots have been breeding them with allsorts
I think said idiots have also been breeding with all sorts, too.
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
gessa

Post by gessa »

ldsutd wrote:The problem with staffords is that over the last 10/15 years idiots have been breeding them with allsorts and alot of them for sale in free ads etc are 4th and 5th generation crosses. A bloke at our work who knows i have a Stafford once said to me is it a short one or a long legged one? I said there is only one kind of proper Stafford the short stocky kind. To which he said no there are three kinds short, tall, thin. I said know there not proper staffords they have been crossed somewhere in there genes. That's the problem that we have now.
Exactly mate, a friend of mine as had staffies for 25 years and never one problem, he gets enraged even talking about how the breed as been bred over the last 20 years.Free papers full of them, usually from the same area of town.
Armleywhite

Post by Armleywhite »

Lovely animals. There are very few creatures on earth that are born with such tendencies. All nature is is literally taught from birth.
Drs.Dad
Manager
Manager

Post by Drs.Dad »

A lot of it is also down to the perception we have of such animals, and despite knowing that Staffies are a naturally friendly dog, I too have been guilty of thinking the worst. Some years ago when I lived at Hunmanby near Filey, we had a Cavalier King Charles, and was out walking it one day when a Staffie came running at us. It was wearing one of those harnesses covered in spikey studs, and my immediate reaction was to pick up my dog before he was savaged. Its owner came huffing up with the usual "he only wants to play", and he was right! I put my dog down, and they had a great time playing together! My point is that the owner made it look like some kind of fighting dog (why?} and I was taken in by it, and an ordinary friendly dog was demonised...... the blokes neighbours probably think he is some kind of thug with a killer dog.
:roll:
lincoln white
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by lincoln white »

1964white wrote:
don't talk shite mate,my mrs has 2,they are lovely dogs!
narrow minded fool
on the leeds side streets that you slip down..........