Warnock in

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
wiilko
Ballboy
Ballboy

Warnock in

Post by wiilko »

Don't understand why his position is even being questioned. There are no other managers available with a better record of getting clubs promoted to the PL. Yes the football played is crap but it has been for several years under Blackwell and Grayson. Warnock has always said that he has been limited to signing squad players and that he needs 2 or 3 quality players.

Personally I don't have a great problem with the defence. It only looks creaky because the midfield are not creating anything and the strikers have no pace to get behind defenders. Consequently the defence has to defend deep which allows good teams to come at us.

Unlike some on here I don't believe that we need a complete clear out. We have a team of battlers but little quality in the side. Last season most fans would agree that we had 3 quality players in Snodgrass, McCormack and Clayton. We now have only McCormack left. However, IMO I believe that man for man our current squad is better than last season overall (although Snoddy is a big miss and I don't understand why Clayton was let go).

It is surprising how an injection of quality can change a team. I was lucky to see the greatest ever player to play for the club, John Charles, who took an average Div 2 side to the 1st Division and ended up as the leading goal scorer in that season.

I also can remember Bobby Collins being brought in to help us escape relegation to Div 3 for the first time in our history ( Bates managed to relegate us to spoil this record) Collins had a hand in bringing on Billy Bremner who was going nowhere until his arrival.

The chairman at the time, Harry Reynolds, provided Revie with the funds to bring in players like Giles to create a dynasty.

Admittedly Revie had the luxury of an unbelievable youth talent but he had the courage and foresight to put together a team of world beaters.

However, I'm sure that the "Don" if he was still alive, would point to the signing of Bobby Collins as the time that LUFC started to become a giant in the world of football.

I am not suggesting that Neil Warnock is another Don Revie but a couple of midfielders and a striker with quality and pace could perhaps change our season round.

Surely Warnock should be judged when he is given a free hand in the transfer market.

Personally, for me, the highlight of this season is the removal of Bates. Supporters like me have seen real quality football in the past and for the first time in years I feel optimistic about the future.

Promotion this season would be a miracle and personally I would be happy just to see some quality brought into the side to give us a fighting chance of reaching the play offs. I really don't believe that we are that far off teams like Cardiff and Hull.

Young players like Byram and White need quality and experience around them and at the moment they are being left to fend for themselves.

After all we last won the 1st division championship with an average defence and attack but we had a fantastic midfield which made up for the deficiencies elsewhere in the side.

I used to go to away games and I can understand the frustration about performances. Somehow it's worst away from home with home supporters taking the 'Mickey'.

However, we have a large squad of players on contracts and bringing in a new manager will only mean that he will want to bring in his own players which means that we will have to pay off our current contracted players.

Surely any rational thinking points to keeping Warnock and seeing how well he uses transfer funds.

Doesn't it make more sense to let Warnock bring in some quality players and let's see how it goes from there?
ldsutd
First Team
First Team

Re: Warnock in

Post by ldsutd »

Totally agree with the above, keep warnock in and give him a chance in the transfer window. :tup:
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Thought we were very exciting under Grayson, just couldnt defend. Its commnts from warnock a few weeks ago saying we dont ned big changes in the window that scare me, he must be mildly satisfied with this squad,
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
joluafc4eva

Post by joluafc4eva »

dezzy wrote:Thought we were very exciting under Grayson, just couldnt defend. Its commnts from warnock a few weeks ago saying we dont ned big changes in the window that scare me, he must be mildly satisfied with this squad,
Midly??? seems like he is very happy :shock: :?
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

wiilko wrote:Don't understand why his position is even being questioned.
I think it is the seeming absence of tactical nous and the manner of our last two (away) defeats that have the natives understandably restless. You are right to say that a new manager may well set us back by chopping and changing so...
wiilko wrote:Doesn't it make more sense to let Warnock bring in some quality players and let's see how it goes from there?
this comment makes a lot of sense. However, if he gets a free hand in January and does not improve things, then, I personally would feel that a new man needs to come in and sort it out over the close season PLUS the powers-that-be need to be also putting things right off the pitch.
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Post by Kyle_5351 »

I am not concerned with his previous record of getting clubs promoted. It really does nothing for us. I am looking at what Warnock is providing us right now and it is nothing amazing.

I will agree, but disagree with you on the subject of the players. Warnock has signed some decent players and imo these players are more than good enough for this league, they have shown it multiple times now. It just seems to me that Warnock is constantly screwing up with team selection, positional selection, wrong formation, wrong tactics and to put on top of that his style is just awful.

I to think our defence is under performing and on paper they are a decent bunch, but it is again Warnocks fault we are leaking the goals. His constant need of getting his players to hoof the ball forward, gives away possession and let's the opposition have more chances at having a crack at our defence. At some point they will get through, doesn't matter how good our defence is.

My main problem overall is that Warnock has groomed and picked the side he has. He has no excuses. The new owners have given him money over summer and he chose to spend it the way he did. Yes, he signed some gems. Pearce is one of the best CB in years, but he has also signed some donuts. In saying that, overall the team is in no better position than what Grayson had it at last year and this is the reason I believe he is on thin ice.

We have made no progress from this time last year and he is supposed to be some saviour auto promo manager.

I am watching a team playing horrible football most weeks and it kills me because I have seen what this team can do. It can rip shreds out of PL clubs when playing the right football and I believe the team could do it week in, week out with the right manager.

So if Grayson was sacked for being in the same position, given no money in January and having players sold from underneath him; Why does Warnock get the opportunity to spend amounts of money Twice in a season to get us no further?

I hope he does well, I always have, but I don't think he is right for the future of the club.
ldsutd
First Team
First Team

Post by ldsutd »

Kyle_5351 wrote:I am not concerned with his previous record of getting clubs promoted. It really does nothing for us. I am looking at what Warnock is providing us right now and it is nothing amazing.
What a load of rubbish this IS what you look at a proven track record, that's how all managers get there jobs on previous achievements.
So what your saying is our next manager can be someone without any track record? We may aswell give an unknown the job from the conference league who has got there last two clubs demoted.
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Post by Kyle_5351 »

ldsutd wrote:
What a load of rubbish this IS what you look at a proven track record, that's how all managers get there jobs on previous achievements.
So what your saying is our next manager can be someone without any track record? We may aswell give an unknown the job from the conference league who has got there last two clubs demoted.
No, you are taking it out of context. It does not matter to me that he has promoted 7 clubs. It means nothing for us, but what a lot of people argue is he should have the position because he has the experience. What a load of crap.

I would rather have a manager who hasn't had all the promotions in the world, but who has a certain style and a certain personality to try and get a team together. Whether that took 2-3 years, it wouldn't bother me. If he came in and said right, this is what I am planning to do and this is how I am going to do it, I am sure more people would be content.

Instead we have Warnock saying he is chasing his 8th promo and he is here until the end of the year. Cool, well you are not living up to what you expected of yourself or why you were brought in, so we might as well get a younger, more positive and passionate manager in at the club.
markolufc
First Team
First Team

Post by markolufc »

He's getting the tactics wrong time and time again. Hull's weakness was in their full backs, we had 2 pacey wingers on the bench that he didn't even consider putting on.

That's the managers issue. Get rid.
Emsley
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Emsley »

After last nights drinking rage, I still find that performance truly awful. Just let it be known we won't take that s**t on the pitch.
Also what's with people saying the midfield needs improving? Last season it was defence and now its the mid?
What will it be in another three months ?
WE''RE LEEDS UNITED, WE''LL NEVER BE DEFEATED!

Paul Green was warnobs best signing.
If you disagree please send me a PM so we can get in to a fight.
hector

Post by hector »

the midfield doesn't necessarily need to improve...

It just needs to be used... and not bypassed all match long..
Emsley
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Emsley »

hector wrote:the midfield doesn't necessarily need to improve...

It just needs to be used... and not bypassed all match long..

He hasn't got a clue. If Warnock said he would build a team for hoof ball we would of all told him to f**k off

Wolfetoneleeds
Manager
Manager

Warnock in

Post by Wolfetoneleeds »

Emsley wrote:

He hasn't got a clue. If Warnock said he would build a team for hoof ball we would of all told him to flipp off
Yep but you and others should realise that is warnocks game plan!
Tbh I don't care how we play as long as we win!! That is not happening...
People moan about the way stoke play but they get results and you can't deny them!
What gets me about it is though.. When we have space to play the ball and move (get it downs the wings, have a run with the ball) we decide to play it straight back to the keeper(pelts a big culprit) and he just hoofs it up...
I don't know we all seem to be going round in circles here!?
We might win out next two games and are spirits will be high again and then....

Back to reality
Emsley
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Emsley »

Everyone notices it. Simple pass or foot through the junk. If you are gonna play hoof ball get in a forward that can win the ball. For me becchio can't do it all on his own. When diouf is out we seriously suck.

Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

I dare to dream that for the first time in years we might have owners with a longer term vision.

Under bates the closest we ever came to a strategy was to develop young players and sell them for a profit - the income from which was never reinvested in the team.

We all know that Warnock's contract expires at the end of the season, so ask yourself why GFH were so keen that he stayed on as manager when they took over? To me the reason is obvious. It isn't that they regard him as the finest manager who ever drew breath, it's that by having him there until May they would have 5 months to get the other fundamentals right (coaching staff, academy etc) so that they could attract a new manager at the end of the season. The last thing they would need right now is to try to find a new manager with the transfer window open.

Sack Warnock now and, with no overhaul of the rest of the club, how likely is it that we could get in the right manager to take us forward? Talk of people like Di Matteo is fanciful nonsense. He has a Champions League win on his CV, why would he come to a mid-table Division 2 club with no opportunity to reshape it? The best we could hope for is a caretaker to get us to the end of the season - is that seriously an improvement?

If Warnock is sacked now we have nothing to gain and a lot to lose.

Keep the faith, dare to dream!
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

Think I said the same much more succinctly above, GW :wink: However, I agree it needs to be restructured top to bottom on and off the pitch with a vision for a secure future.
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
Emsley
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Emsley »

Whatever is done Warnock needs to know that performance is not good enough. Over a barrel springs to mind.

Kepler
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Kepler »

ldsutd wrote:
Promotions

1986–87: Conference winners (promotion to Division 4) – Scarborough
1989–90: Division 3 Playoff winners (promotion to Division 2) – Notts County
1990–91: Division 2 Playoff winners (promotion to Division 1) – Notts County
1994–95: Division 2 Playoff winners (promotion to Division 1) – Huddersfield Town
1995–96: Division 3 Playoff winners (promotion to Division 2) – Plymouth Argyle
2005–06: Championship runners-up (promotion to Premier League) – Sheffield United
2010–11: Championship winners (promotion to Premier League) – Queens Park Rangers

That is his track record. only 2 promotions in the last 16 years. and it took him 7 years to get Sheffield united promoted

Winning doesn't really matter as longe as you win
- Vinnie Jones
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Post by Kyle_5351 »

Redfearn was doing well last season, bring him back :mrgreen:
ldsutd
First Team
First Team