The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 23rd August) Spurs lining up £20m bid for James

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 23rd August) Spurs lining up £20m bid for James

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 23rd August, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Spurs lining up £20m bid for James

Sun journalist Alan Nixon has claimed that Spurs are lining up a £20m bid for versatile winger Dan James. The 24yo has struggled to hit the kind most of us were expecting since his surprise £25m move two years ago, but has frequently been asked to play out of position, and lead the line, due to injury problems up front.

With four goals from 37 appearances, many could be tempted to cash in on the Welsh International, though we need to remember, that not only would Leeds be making a £5m loss, but Manchester Utd have a sell-on clause too. With just over a week to go before the transfer window slams shut, would it leave Leeds short of personnel, or is Summerville ready to step up to the plate?

Marsch no longer living in Bielsa's shadow

Scottish football legend Graeme Souness believes Leeds victory over Chelsea at the weekend has lifted Jesse Marsch's stature among Leeds fans, and he no longer lives in his predecessor's shadow. It was never going to be easy to replace somebody as loved and respected as Bielsa, let alone an American Coach that none of us had heard of before, yet almost five months on, we're beginning to see an exciting new chapter take place at Elland Road. Souness told talkSPORT...

Chelsea last week were fabulous, although they still only had three shots on target, scored with two, Lloris made a save, they’re still in need of that goal getter. The football they played (vs Spurs) was top notch, they looked a team and you’re thinking they’re just missing someone who can put the ball in the back of the net for them.

They’ve gone to Leeds, Leeds historically has always been a difficult place to play, a hostile crowd, it must be great to play in front of, they get behind you, abuse the opposition - sometimes they go overboard but that’s the nature of our business. It’s a hell of a result, the manager deserves credit.

I like most people, an American coming into our game will find life very difficult, just the terminology that they use and understanding what the Premier League is all about but that result yesterday, maybe until yesterday was living in the shadow of Bielsa, maybe that’s lifted somewhat. The results do that (lift him out of the shadows), it’s not just talking, it’s winning football matches will lift that shadow.

Highly rated keeper on his way to Elland Road

Rory Mahady is set to become Leeds ninth Summer signing. The highly rated young shot stopper, 16, had been heavily scouted by Manchester City, but after talks with Victor Orta has decided that Elland Road

Although Mahady cannot sign a Professional contract until he turns 17, he will initially join the Thorp Arch academy on an initial scholarship. The Scotland U17 star has been described as one of the best young keepers in Britain by the Daily Record, and Celtic are not happy about losing another one of their rising stars to Leeds. Two years ago, Orta poached Leo Hjelde away from Parkhead for a deal worth £1m, plus add-ons.

Is a top half finish possible

With seven points out of a possible nine, Leeds have jumped ahead of Southampton and Wolves in the race against relegation, according to Bet365. Many leading bookies believed that the Whites would struggle this season having lost Raphinha and Phillips, yet nothing could be further from the truth. Performances thus far have been strong, stats have dramatically improved, and the team looks balanced. Leeds find themselves joint third in the table, along with Tottenham. Interestingly, the figures between the two sides are identical, as are the opponents they have faced. As a measure of how Leeds have started the new campaign, fans must be happy with this.

Leeds are now ahead of Bournemouth, Forest, Everton, Southampton, Fulham and Wolves in their quest to avoid the drop, and are just marginally behind Leicester City and Brentford. Whilst many may have settled for 14th or 15th a month ago, what are the chances that Jesse Marsch can replicate (or beat) Bielsa's 9th place finish during our 20/21 season?

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 23rd August) Spurs lining up £20m bid for James

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks.

Keep James unless we can squeeze more out of Spurs.

March is his own man. Marcelo was always going to be a tough act to follow seeing he was our best manager since sliced bread 🍞 However he has been able to use the tools given him and Sunday was a great marker for him to lay down.
Another keeper...woo!

Top half finish..While it would be nice not on your Nelly. All teams need to do is go long again at us. Even I know that.... Expect to lose 14 games this term.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 23rd August) Spurs lining up £20m bid for James

Post by Byebyegeegee »

With regard to James, for a start off there’s no way we should sell him at a loss which, with Manures sell on clause, means probably £30m just to break even. I can’t imagine Tottingham stretching to more than that but even if they do I would be inclined, at the moment, to not upset the apple cart and keep him. Certainly, he was probably our least outstanding player against Chelsea, but I think he is capable of improving with confidence (and being played in his preferred position) and his sheer speed will always be a useful weapon in our armoury.

A top half finish - let’s not tempt fate and start running before we can walk eh! Though from what we’ve seen so far it’s a distinct possibility 😀.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

If there is a sell on clause with James it is normally a percentage of the profit so would mean MU getting a cut of anything we made above what we paid for him.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Don't know if it's been posted elsewhere but this is a good read if you're interested in the way Jesse's mind works:

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1141913808?-1 ... atest_news
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

If James went I wouldn't be too bothered. Plenty of cover and the funds could be diverted to a striker and/or full back.

Top half? The press and some fans go equally crazy about one good win as they do about a bad one. Some idiot supporter last night on TalkSport wanted Klopp out!

Pleased for JM that he now has his style. Whether or not it will equate to a top half place remains to be seen, although it's been encouraging so far.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Dan James
I'm happy to keep James. I like what he offers on the fast breaks and his pace scares the s**t out of opposition. I'd put him as 3rd choice behind Sinisterra and Harrison. But I also think there's a lot more to come from him as long as we consistently play him in his best position, Since we've got Summerville too, I'd be tempted to take around 30 million and spend that on a more central attacking player. But I'd love to see him stay and succeed here too.

Marsch
Deserves the praise after how much he's been knocked since he arrived. Most of the criticism has been unfair - based on stereotypes rather than anything tangible. He deserved time, which many fans didn't give him. And with a full preseason and transfer window we can now call this Marsch ball. We won't finish 3rd. For most anything above 14th was considered a success. He'll beat that easily.

Top Half Finish
I think so

Young Keeper
I like it. Build towards the future.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

It’s far too early in the season to judge Marsch and where we will end up this season. Sunday showed what’s possible with this team but the same team let a 2-0 lead slip the week before. Howe and viera seem to be getting all the plaudits at the moment and that’s fair given they have had longer in charge and the consistency to back it up. I just hope in a few months time marsch and Leeds have done enough to be mentioned in the same breath.

Reluctantly I’d say to sell James if the right offer came in,which I doubt it will, he has potential but I can’t see what spurs have seen to want to recruit him I therefore think the rumour is nonsense.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

VinnysTattoo wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:52 pm
Top half? The press and some fans go equally crazy about one good win as they do about a bad one. Some idiot supporter last night on TalkSport wanted Klopp out!
Indeed. Let's not get carried away. Every game in the EPL is a tough match (as Chelsea just learned).

Dan James should stay, as should everyone on the team right now. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Do not sell DJ ffs.

There are UMPTEEN reasons to not sell DJ, and they're plain to see.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Jimang
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jimang »

I would sell James, we already have Harrison and Sinisterra that play on the left and Summerville and Aaronson that can play on the right. With the money we could buy the striker and left back cover we need.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

We don't need cover now in this system.

Dallas will probably be the LB when fit, Firpo is back first, then there's PS who's doing just fine and a set piece threat, Helde will be ok against average teams, JH can also fill in when we're absolutely stuck, Koch possibly so if we ever got that desperate.

This system is showing me we could be alright up front, i'd like a new attacker, but after Sunday it won't bother me if we don't.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

Dan James is one of the most talented players but his full potential lurks well within and we have seen a small amount
of what he is actaully capable of.
For me I think it would be a big mistake to let him go.
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

More tabloid gossip..😡🤬