Jesse Marsch

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR - Confirmed

Post by Jaydog »

Cjay wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:44 pm viewtopic.php?t=43012

Yeah it's down the thread somewhere.

Rodrigo had tightness in his quad apparently.
Thanks. Was defo holding his leg when he sat down on the bench. He’s been rightly criticised on here but he was good today in fairness.
Ipswich won’t fade. As predicted.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:12 pm I think Marsch deserves credit for the first half.

The set up was very good, width in attack but narrow and solid defensively.

The lovely Slick passing moves and not to much long ball stuff (which we did play under Bielsa tbf, we weren't afraid if a targeted pass long into space on occasion).

He got it wrong 2nd half and we did end up resorting to a more direct and less organised approach.

His subs were poor and poorly timed (although both were fitness related tbf).

He needs to manage games better but the first half was good.

He needs to fix his subs as well, a worrying pecking order still exists.

When we get it right we are a much more organised unit under Marsch.
Whilst it may be fitness related it was the choice of who he brought on that was the problem. Bringing Gelhardt on for Rodrigo keeps the shapes and more importantly gives us the best opportunity to get the second goal, we were creating enough opportunities.

I hate attacking substitutions at half time especially where pace is involved. Whilst Bamford and Gelhardt aren't pacey the Bamford for Harrison change pushed Dan James up front. Doing that change 15 minutes into the second half would have made more of James's pace as he would have been up against a defender that hadn't just had the half time breather. Suddenly as a defender you go from marking a player who plays one way to someone running at you with electric pace and it takes you time to adjust, that time could be all it needs for the attacker to get away once and make the difference. I would have said to PB at half time, "Give us another 10 minutes or so, put yourself about a bit and soften the defender up a bit."

Not 100% convinced we are a more organized unit under Marsch. Villa tore us apart at will, more worryingly than they did in the 3-3 draw as at least in that match we were being torn open by losing the ball through attacking. Leicester we looked reasonably solid but hard to really take anything definitive from playing a team as poor as Norwich.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

hector wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:30 pm Gotta say.....

You have mastered the art of winding folk up :P

:)
Speaking the truth generally does in all walks of life.

Most of em wind themselves up when the shite they throw misses completely and they then step in it.

All good banter.

:tup:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:56 pm Whilst it may be fitness related it was the choice of who he brought on that was the problem. Bringing Gelhardt on for Rodrigo keeps the shapes and more importantly gives us the best opportunity to get the second goal, we were creating enough opportunities.

I hate attacking substitutions at half time especially where pace is involved. Whilst Bamford and Gelhardt aren't pacey the Bamford for Harrison change pushed Dan James up front. Doing that change 15 minutes into the second half would have made more of James's pace as he would have been up against a defender that hadn't just had the half time breather. Suddenly as a defender you go from marking a player who plays one way to someone running at you with electric pace and it takes you time to adjust, that time could be all it needs for the attacker to get away once and make the difference. I would have said to PB at half time, "Give us another 10 minutes or so, put yourself about a bit and soften the defender up a bit."

Not 100% convinced we are a more organized unit under Marsch. Villa tore us apart at will, more worryingly than they did in the 3-3 draw as at least in that match we were being torn open by losing the ball through attacking. Leicester we looked reasonably solid but hard to really take anything definitive from playing a team as poor as Norwich.
Gelhardt for Bamford was the change imo.

I don't think Bamford had another 10 minutes in him though and he was evidently limping when he came off. Have to be very careful with Paddy as it wouldn't take much to break him again I feel.

The Koch sub is a standard defensive player for an attacking player sub that most managers would make in our situation just it was enforced earlier as Rodrigo was injured it seems.

Id say we were imo.

Leicester in particular was by far our most organised of the season imo.

I bet there are very few games this season where we have limited an opponent to less than 10 shots.

Indeed we have managed to concede less shots on average vs 2 of the 3 opponents under Marsch compared to Bielsa (Leicester and Norwich).

The Villa game was bad bad bad but the Everton one under Bielsa was much much worse (21 shots 10 on target).

So I'd say the lowest under Marsch hasn't come close to the lowest under Bielsa and he does deserve credit for that.

It's far from perfect but in defence of Marsch a lot of that is down to the poor quality of the players (unable to take chances and giving the ball away in dangerous areas) and unlike his predecessor he had no say in that squad.
Last edited by Cjay on Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

SG90 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:26 pm If PB is still not ready, start Gelhardt. The lad must be feeling on top of the world right about now!
Agreed.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

In 3 games, 2 lost and 1 scraped Big Jesse hasn't come close to Berts lowest :roflmao:

Wait till he's been in charge 4 years ( he won't) or more likely, till the end of the season :tup:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:34 pm In 3 games, 2 lost and 1 scraped Big Jesse hasn't come close to Berts lowest :roflmao:

Wait till he's been in charge 4 years ( he won't) or more likely, till the end of the season :tup:
Two decent performances, in both games right to the end. Unfortunate not get at least a draw at Leicester & should have had the game wrapped up by half-time today.

One atrocious performance when we were never in the game.

All seems very Bielsa to me.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Jeez 64 you've a short memory.

;@)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:51 pm Jeez 64 you've a short memory.
Not at all, Kenny

A very long memory I believe :-D
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Finnatic wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:46 pm Despite my reservations about Marsch, I’m going to give him some credit for the decision to put Raphinha up against Aarons.
He occupied him and stopped him overlapping which is one of Norwich’s strengths down the right.
Then switching it with Harrison to get in Aarons’ face and be (to use a sick inducing term) the “bitch on the pitch” was also a good move.
Harrison really pissed him off with some choice challenges to frustrate him.

It also gave Dallas some support against their sub and best player Rowe, who caused us grief in the second half.
Glad I wasn't the only one who saw this. I've said as much in two other threads. Harrison had one brief today, and did it perfectly (even if his end product wasn't great). Aarons is a huge player for Norwich and we shut him out all game.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Re: Jesse Marsch post Norwich

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

William wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:38 pm Joffy saved your ass Jesse because it was grass after those awful subs.

That said it was an incredible experience to be there today.
Fans were the best in a long long time and Joffy proved again he is one of us.
Maybe you should give the manager a bit of credit for our first win in ages ?

And we are no longer leaking about 10 goals in every match now that the genius is no longer at the club.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:36 pm Maybe you should give the manager a bit of credit for our first win in ages ?

And we are no longer leaking about 10 goals in every match now that the genius is no longer at the club.
We did just leak 3 at home to Villa.

And speaking of leaking goals, today's game was against a side that scored 0 against us at their ground this season.

Marsch deserves time, and a win is a win...but I wouldn't be heaping too much praise for a 94th minute winner at home to the worst club in the PL.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Mountain wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:55 pm We did just leak 3 at home to Villa.

And speaking of leaking goals, today's game was against a side that scored 0 against us at their ground this season.

Marsch deserves time, and a win is a win...but I wouldn't be heaping too much praise for a 94th minute winner at home to the worst club in the PL.
Tbf we conceded 11 goals to Spurs, Everton, Villa and Newcastle in February.

Marsch would have to be Premier League record hopeless to make us more defensively vulnerable than Bielsa had us.

We were breaking records and on target to match a top 3 Premier League goals conceded total under Bielsa.

Bielsa got credit when we scraped a last minute pen winner vs Palace, or a last minute equalizer vs Brentford, or a last minute pen vs Wolves or an 85 minute equalizer vs Burnley.

And people praised Bielsa when we beat Norwich 2-1 despite Norwich having more shots than us which they didn't today.

Bielsa bias is definitely impacting Marsch imo.

Wasnt the sort of performance to change a disappointing season but it was a much needed win which the new boss played a role in and deserves credit for.

Not aimed at you Mountain but some on here need to let Bielsa go ffs, its not a Bielsa fan club forum its a Leeds United forum.

Get the impression some would rather we lose and be relegated than have Marsch save us just so they can bang on about how it would never have happened under Bielsa.
Signed

King Cjay

Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Mountain wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:55 pm We did just leak 3 at home to Villa.

Actually today’s game was against a side who scored 1 goal against us at their ground this season. Same score 2-1 to us on both occasions, no better, no worse. Except that but for some poor finishing we could, and should have won by 2 or 3 goals today.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

In the 3 matches that we have played under JM we achieved 2 worse results than the same matches under MB and one result that was the same.
Under MB we drew with Leicester and Villa, and had more chances then the opposition in both of those game, and we beat Norwich 2-1.

So really in analysing the start the Leicester match was similar stats wise (we had 1 more shot at goal and Leicester had 2 more shots with MB in comparison to the match under JM) so no real change there either defensively or attack wise and to be fair we could have won both games. Despite Bielsa getting a draw and Marsch a loss I would say that the performance level in both games was similar so will declare that as level.

The Villa match was as bad as it gets under JM so Bielsa wins that hands down. We were battering Villa and likely would have won comfortably had James's shot not hit the bar. We were never in it and it was a poor team selection (playing Koch and Forshaw together - ooh hello what went wrong again today?).

The Norwich result - probably a better performance today than when beating Norwich away but nothing to get too carried away with given how we tried to throw it away. So a slight edge to Marsch in terms of the overall performance that should have seen an easier win, although only a slight edge due to it being managerial decisions that lost us control of the game.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Not looking to be doom and gloom, wanting JM to succeed and enjoyed the way we played today and some of the tactics paid off like switching with Raphinha etc. Just a concern that the second subsitution was a terrible decision, thought so at the time and think I was proved right (although no guarantee in football that if we brought JG on for Rodrigo that it might not have still gone tits up).
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Cjay wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:07 pm Get the impression some would rather we lose and be relegated than have Marsch save us just so they can bang on about how it would never have happened under Bielsa.
I got the impression that some rather enjoyed wallowing in the defeats under Bielsa because it justified their 24/7 never-ending criticism!

Sometimes football can be very simple. We play the bottom side at home with one of our crucial players returning for the first start since September and lo and behold we win. But William's point, that Marsch would have been torn apart if we drew is probably correct too.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Mountain wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:20 pm I got the impression that some rather enjoyed wallowing in the defeats under Bielsa because it justified their 24/7 never-ending criticism!

Sometimes football can be very simple. We play the bottom side at home with one of our crucial players returning for the first start since September and lo and behold we win. But William's point, that Marsch would have been torn apart if we drew is probably correct too.
If that was aimed at me then you couldn't be more wrong, I just call it how I see it, I'm a realist.

Point was people excused Bielsa and praised him when things went in his favour (and he had plenty of luck this season, last minute pens on more than one occasion) but can't do that for Marsch apparently, always have to have the yeah but involved.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:13 pm In the 3 matches that we have played under JM we achieved 2 worse results than the same matches under MB and one result that was the same.
Under MB we drew with Leicester and Villa, and had more chances then the opposition in both of those game, and we beat Norwich 2-1.

So really in analysing the start the Leicester match was similar stats wise (we had 1 more shot at goal and Leicester had 2 more shots with MB in comparison to the match under JM) so no real change there either defensively or attack wise and to be fair we could have won both games. Despite Bielsa getting a draw and Marsch a loss I would say that the performance level in both games was similar so will declare that as level.

The Villa match was as bad as it gets under JM so Bielsa wins that hands down. We were battering Villa and likely would have won comfortably had James's shot not hit the bar. We were never in it and it was a poor team selection (playing Koch and Forshaw together - ooh hello what went wrong again today?).

The Norwich result - probably a better performance today than when beating Norwich away but nothing to get too carried away with given how we tried to throw it away. So a slight edge to Marsch in terms of the overall performance that should have seen an easier win, although only a slight edge due to it being managerial decisions that lost us control of the game.
Jesse Marsch
2.91 v1.63 Norwich
0.22 v 1.26 Villa
2.15 v 0.39 Leicester

5.38 v 3.28

Marcelo Bielsa
0.83 v 0.99 Norwich
1.79 v 1.03 Villa
2.35 v 1.60 Leicester

4.97 v 3.62

Thats the xG for the reverse fixtures this season, Leeds on the left opposition on the right.

Know many fans don't like it but clubs use it and respect it so think its worthwhile.

xG shows that overall we created slightly better chances and conceded fewer threatening ones overall under Marsch.

Not worth getting carried away with but ant improvement is a bonus
Signed

King Cjay

Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

My most fervent hope is that we don't revert to the Leeds United before Andrea Radrizzani gave us our dream.

May we be careful what we wish for!

Leeds United forever