Jesse Marsch

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR - Confirmed

Post by 1964white »

Let's hope Jesse gets us the points we required to stay up.

Marsch has twelve games to evaluate the squad & decide who he wants to retain & discard.

I feel certain there'll be plenty of transfer activity in the summer.

Good luck Jesse.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:04 pm Well said Cjay. The worry isn't that he is American, or comes accross as a bit of a clown to some, but that his record isn't particularly impressive. At the clubs where he won titles the team were still conceding at over a goal per game which is unusual for title winning teams.

It is hard to know whether what he did in Austria was overachieving or underachieving given their previous, and continued, dominance. It may be that they sold their best players prior to him arriving and as such he did brilliantly to carry on their dominance, despite a lower points total, or it may be that he took a team that was doing great and carried on winning despite them not being as great.

At New York it is hard to really know. I would expect NY had the biggest, or one of the biggest, wage salaries so would have had some of the best players in the league. Whether they were favourites or not to win the league I don't know, maybe one of our american fans will know more. His record prior to that at Montreal Impact certainly looks less impressive but it may be that they were the worst team and he improved them. A lot of unknowns really.

His record in Germany is the biggest concern though. Sacked after 14 games I think. That to me suggests that there may have been friction between himself and the players. I think chairman obviously look at the results first but if the results are bad and the team doesn't look like they are giving their all then that is when they pull the trigger quickly rather than giving the manager a bit more time to try to work it round.
There is nothing about his previous record that give hope really.

And as you say he conceded over a goal a game as a title winner with a team of wonderkids, if he isn't able to stop us conceding the goals we are then we will go down.

Absolutely no chance we can survive by outscoring the opposition.

He worries me greatly.

I don't agree with the mild xenophobia that is creeping in over his nationality though.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

Whilst I’m still upset at the handling and dismissal of Marcelo I will give Jesse Marsch my full support and after watching his first interview he seems to say all the right things and the players looked happy with the appointment. Let’s see if he can lift the team spirit at an out of form Leicester next weekend.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:15 pm Marcello Bielsa made me believe we could win against stronger opposition and did at times last season. The gap was immense and Bielsa closed it. We still weren't likely to beat the big teams last season, even with our strongest team and this season with the injuries the gap widened.

Like Faaip shows 25 of the last 27 major trophies have been won by the top 5 teams. Bielsa gave me hope that we could compete. We would never compete financially but the teamwork, the gameplan, the anticipation, the non stop running etc provided the hope.

I'm not going to lie and say some of the sh*t results didn't happen but the future was rosy, as long as we survived. The team needed its big player to be avialable and it needed gradual improvement but I could see us closing and closing that gap.

Where we go now I really have no clue. Hopefully whoever comes in can build on the foundations, can get that bit of luck with less injuries etc and can do what the likes of Valverde did and take something made strong by Bielsa and keep it going.
I have to say I don't think Bielsa was ever going to progress us above mid table.

I've said before I don't think his style was ever viable as a long term success without the quality of players only accessible to a few.

And whilst injuries haven't helped nobody is unlucky to break records in terms of goals conceded like we have, he is by no means innocent this season Bielsa and does bare a large amount of responsibility for where we are imo.

It may be that we needed someone to come in like Valverde did at Bilbao with fresh ideas and no pre conceived preferences regarding the squad.

Someone able to objectively come in and look at the tactics and say right this has worked this has worked but this hasn't.

He is the right player, he is the right player but he isn't.

Someone to come in and take the best of what Bielsa did and to take the best aspects of his work but remove some of his blind spots, remove some of his understandable but deeply frustrating favouritism.

Bielsa did great things for us, he gave us our club back, he took us back to the top level for the first time in well over a decade and.he gave us 3 seasons to remember and made us a team people admired and respected.

It deserved a more dignified and respectful end.

It has however drastically gone wrong this season and to what extent he is responsible is debatable but his responsibility is undeniable.

The size of the squad was unsustainable, the amount of training (which he increased) was unsustainable, the amount of pressure on a core group that had given everything for 3 years was bound to catch up with them mentally and physically and that is something Bielsa was blind to.

He himself said that he didn't think this squad could give the same again as they did last season, he then didn't want to drastically refresh the squad.

A very mixed message.

I felt the time for Bielsa to go was in the summer.

I could understand why they would sack him now whilst I don't agree.

But the risk the club have taken with his replacement is such a concern to the point I would prefer to have kept Bielsa despite all of the above.

I think we probably did need fresh eyes and ideas but I am very unsure about the timing and the eyes we choose.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Bally
First Team
First Team

Re: Jesse Marsch Fact.

Post by Bally »

I've no idea who this Marsch is or why he's been appointed is he someone the 49ers wanted as looking at his past record he's not worthy of managing Leeds for me this is a big gamble and hopefully it pays off
Overman
Manager
Manager

Re: Jesse Marsch Fact.

Post by Overman »

I wish Jesse all the best and he came across really well in the interview. To put it mildly, he's got an incredibly tough job to keep us up and having to deal with the mess Bielsa left behind.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Jesse Marsch Fact

Post by weasel »

Came across well. Hopefully a good fit for us.
Unbelievable Jeff
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Unbelievable Jeff »

Apparently the new boss's assistant is John Toshack's son Cameron....
Ha ha charade you are....
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2022-02-28 22.58.52.png
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kalvin you're going anywhere

Screenshot 2022-02-28 23.02.25.png
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2022-02-28 23.05.29.png
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:10 pm As pigs fly over the stadiums and Lord Lucan rides through the streets of Leeds naked whilst on top of a Unicorn?
I see your stance on Tyler Roberts has softened slightly :-D
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Meh.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Takes me back to the period before Marcelo's appointment.

I sincerely hope Mr. Marsch gets it right!
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

We have to have some trust in the 49ers instincts here; like it or not they are pros at another game and understand success and failure, everything except promotion and relegation in fact because they don't exist in the U.S.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Anyway, welcome Jesse
Prisoner37
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Prisoner37 »

1964white wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:00 pm Screenshot 2022-02-28 22.58.52.png
Body language of the players not looking too receptive there.
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

Love the fact that some people on here are writing him off before a ball has even been kicked. :shock:
Granted Bielsa is going to be a tough act to follow but I for one are going to get behind him.(Till he starts playing Roberts as a striker) :lol:

No one is bigger than the club not even Bielsa so it's time for everyone to pull together and stop whining.
Side before self and all that :)
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

Welcome to the club Mr Marsh Hope you can work wonders and keep us up this season, and i'm sure uncle radzs will back you for the players required for the next season ahead.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

If he's good enough for the Red Bull group (who know their stuff), then he's good enough for us. :tup:

Maybe, just maybe, the club know what they're doing?