The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 23rd November) Why is Junior Firpo struggling?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 23rd November) Why is Junior Firpo struggling?

Post by 1964white »

whiteroseboy wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:12 pm Think the biggest differance in the 2nd half was more down to Spurs realising the could push more players forward and force Meslier into playing it long.
In the first half they didn't close our defenders down at all, was too easy to play out from the back.

Trouble is when Meslier is forced to play it long and we have a forward line of Harrison, Gelhardt & James we arn't going to win the ball so constantly gave possession away. We lack a big beast sized striker for these type situations.
I'm not been critical of our forwards but they all need the ball on the floor to be at their most effective but opposition will spot that they are all knee high to grasshoppers and cut out the service.
Spot on, there was no press from the Spurs forwards in the first-half, Meslier booting the ball up field defeats the whole object of Bielsa-ball.

It really annoys me when we are on the halfway-line and we pass the ball sideways then backwards to retain possession, then we go back to Meslier who promptly kicks high up field surrendering the ball to the opposition, makes no sense whatsoever.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 23rd November) Why is Junior Firpo struggling?

Post by BGwhite »

1964white wrote: Spot on, there was no press from the Spurs forwards in the first-half, Meslier booting the ball up field defeats the whole object of Bielsa-ball.

It really annoys me when we are on the halfway-line and we pass the ball sideways then backwards to retain possession, then we go back to Meslier who promptly kicks high up field surrendering the ball to the opposition, makes no sense whatsoever.
Lack of confidence in their own abilities and maybe the system as well. Guaranteed we'll surrender possession every time Mes boots it upfield. No height up there at all.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

BGwhite wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:35 pm Absolutely WR, it's been repeated over and over, too small a squad, lack of quality particularly on the bench, relying on players to play in un-natural positions, this will not work long term . Yes it got us promoted from a hoof ball league but it's not a recipe for long term success. I watched the BBC iPlayer series on the PL and it covered Blackburn winning it. Their owner Jack Walker didn't want to replace the players who'd won it but other staff members said to keep competing at this level certain players needed to be replaced with better ones but Walker stuck to his guns and don't forget he had serious money to afford better. The slide down the league inevitably happened and they went down not long after. We have players here from way before Bielsa arrived and he's performed miracles with them but even he should realise that you can't keep flogging a dead horse .

Fully agree BG, Radz and his pals need to break into some of their billion pound notes :$$:
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Firpo was a strange choice for me. Coming from a football team that was, for the most part, hardly ever on the back foot, or indeed having to protect a one goal lead.
Fullbacks are key to Bielsa’s attacking moves so a lack of immediate form ( to be expected ) in Firpo and Ayling being injured, meant one of our key attributes was compromised.
Will Firpo come good? I really don’t know.

The manager’s total reliance on Bamford over the last two seasons has really backfired. There was never a backup, or any given enough game time to step in when needed. I still maintain the last few games of the season was the time to get Gelhardt and Greenwood up to some kind of speed, but we persisted with the same team.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Bielsa is over reliant on all his players but it's got us this far. I'd also like to see the team freshened up on occasions but I do think we have a very good squad. Just need some continuity
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

BGwhite wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:41 pm Lack of confidence in their own abilities and maybe the system as well. Guaranteed we'll surrender possession every time Mes boots it upfield. No height up there at all.

What is the point?

Pass the ball forward if all Meslier is going to do is boot the ball in the air, it really drives me mad!

It would be fine if we had a midfield to pick up the second ball, invariably no one does :(
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Whenever I see Roberts' name in the squad I wince, the guy is hopeless but clearly a Bielsa pet project and holding us back, makes me shake my swede in disbelief when Bielsa states he "wont bring in anyone who isn't as good as we already have" there are millions of footballers out there better than roberts.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

I think Roberts' time is nearing the end. With Joe getting the nod infront of him on Sunday Roberts knows he's down the pecking order and with Rapha & Rodders coming back and Paddy on the horizon (maybe) he's well down the pecking order. Bate should be infront of him as well imo.

Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Why is Junior Firpo struggling.

He just may not be any good? He's just come back, although i am warming to Pascal in that role. We have yet to see how he copes with them harsh winter nights. It can break a man i tell thi. Ralgex or no ralgex.

After not being Paddy's biggest fan he won me over last season, his work rate in particular was phenomenal and he scored the vital goals. He did start slowly this season but he may have been carrying a knock. In saying that i am a bit concerned of how important he is to the way we play. Rodrigo came in and tried and he didn't look good. Its Joe for the 90 all the way for me. Even 70 until the kid fitness improves. I think it was 64 who mentioned the Kane handball that looked destined for the bottom corner. Another kick in the balls. It would have given the kid a real boost.

Jan transfer window at ER is like an uncomfortable family wedding.

Its a tuff en isn't it? Do we bring in for instance the two Championship lads for extra bodies and take a gamble on them as long has the prices don't get silly, they will certainly be fit rather than some reserve player from some mega team who will need ft minutes. Or do we persevere with the kids to plug the injury gaps knowing if the worst case scenario happens this season they will be the immediate future. I will take 50/50 please Jeremy.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Would love to get Bogusz back ... A better Saiz
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Firpo.

Their is really simple answer to why Firpo maY be struggling, Victor Orta isn't very good at buying players who fit the style of play?

Firpo's best season in football was at Real Betis in 2018/2019, he was a left wing back in a team that played a back 3. We saw this before with Barry Douglas, players who shine as a wing back in a back 3 tend to struggle in our side with a back 4.

I also get the impression Orta likes to mix with the big boys and let's that get in the way of making sensible signings.

Casilla from Madrid
JKA from Leipzig
Firpo from Barcelona
Rodrigo from Valencia.

Bamford

We miss his all round play but his finishing isn't as good as some seem to think imo, he isn't a natural goal scorer.

It's utterly ridiculous however that we only have 1 senior striker able to play in our team.

January

We need to strengthen end of story.

Summer was a really crap window and we are paying for it.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

Bamford - One good season for us and it must be noted it was with no pressure of fans at the ground, he does a great deal of other work but I’d prefer a prolific goal scorer myself

Firpo - We live in hope he’ll come good but a player who supposedly had a £200m release clause slapped on him at one stage, he really should be better. To think we were rumoured to have had a £10m bid turned down for Maxwel Cornet too.

Bielsa seems to do better with inherited players rather than those he gets a say in. Yes there are exceptions but the expensive loan signing of Nketiah, the Augustin debacle, Izzy Brown, Lewis Baker, Kiko Cassilla, Costa, Poveda, Douglas, I’d never have signed Harrison myself and although he is “decent” we’ve not had value for money on Rodrigo
lufcconnor

Post by lufcconnor »

I was very excited when this lad signed-- coming from Barcelona, I thought he'd be superb and be the next big thing etc.

Just hasn't happened for him yet. I don't want to write him off but he needs to step up.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:33 pm Firpo.

Their is really simple answer to why Firpo maY be struggling, Victor Orta isn't very good at buying players who fit the style of play?
All our signings seem to struggle initially apart from Raphinha & Llorente whom are at a different level.

Eventually they get there, hopefully Firpo will do too!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Richard wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:14 pm To think we were rumoured to have had a £10m bid turned down for Maxwel Cornet too.
No there's a player who has settled in immediately at Burnley, banging goals in for fun from 20 to 25 yards.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

faaip wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:36 pm Would love to get Bogusz back ... A better Saiz
Yes
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Still think we'd have been better off going for Charlie Taylor during last summer.

Would have fitted like a glove in Bielsa's set-up if we could have prised him away from Burnley.

One of the best wing-backs after Cancelo, TAA, Chilwell, etc, a player we could probably afford, that is if he was prepared to return to Leeds.

Taylor is tall, strong, quick & energetic, dangerous going forward & defends well too.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:07 am All our signings seem to struggle initially apart from Raphinha & Llorente whom are at a different level.

Eventually they get there, hopefully Firpo will do too!
That's being a bit overly generous.

The issue is it was OK in the Championship, you had to accept sometimes you couldn't get the ideal player and had to make do.

It's not quite so acceptable in the Premier League imo.

It should be easier to get a better tactical fit at the top level.

We shouldn't expect an adaption period of any great length.

I've seen some say it such and such will be better in his second season, it was said about Rodrigo for example and James now and Firpo.

You can't sign players and write off a whole season that is lunacy, clubs sign players with the season you sign them in mind generally. They need that player now, not in 1, 2, 3 seasons time.

It was somewhat OK at Championship level.

You can't work like that at the top level imo.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

1964white wrote:Still think we'd have been better off going for Charlie Taylor during last summer.

Would have fitted like a glove in Bielsa's set-up if we could have prised him away from Burnley.

One of the best wing-backs after Cancelo, TAA, Chilwell, etc, a player we could probably afford, that is if he was prepared to return to Leeds.

Taylor is tall, strong, quick & energetic, dangerous going forward & defends well too.
Yeah but he'd have to bring his own kit cos he wouldn't wear ours Image

White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cjay wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:33 pm Firpo.

Firpo's best season in football was at Real Betis in 2018/2019, he was a left wing back in a team that played a back 3. We saw this before with Barry Douglas, players who shine as a wing back in a back 3 tend to struggle in our side with a back 4.

I also get the impression Orta likes to mix with the big boys and let's that get in the way of making sensible signings.

Casilla from Madrid
JKA from Leipzig
Firpo from Barcelona
Rodrigo from Valencia.

Bamford

We miss his all round play but his finishing isn't as good as some seem to think imo, he isn't a natural goal scorer.

It's utterly ridiculous however that we only have 1 senior striker able to play in our team.

January

We need to strengthen end of story.

Summer was a really crap window and we are paying for it.
But we're already sorted for January Cjay 8-)

Radz has set a reminder in his mobile for January 1st and it's titled "New Signings Tweet" = Koch n Bamford :)

Kinnear will then follow up in the programme notes with "Got business done early in the window this time".

And Orta will shout "Vamos Leeds Cavajo"

Dunno what you're worried about ;-)