Leeds Utd v Crewe Alex Match Thread - Marcelo Bielsa names strong XI, Forshaw starts first game since 2019

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Leeds Utd v Crewe Alex Match Thread - Marcelo Bielsa names strong XI, Forshaw starts first game since 2019

Post by Ellandback1 »

Tuesday 24th August 19:45 | Elland Road

League One outfit Crewe Alexandra are the visitors to Elland Road on Tuesday evening in the second round of the Carabao Cup. David Artell's team have had a miserable start to the season losing there opening three games of the season against Portsmouth, Oxford Utd and Accrington Stanley. Crewe beat second division Hartlepool 1-0 in the first round to set up the tie with Bielsa's lads in West Yorkshire.

It will be an emotional return to Elland Road for Luke Murphy who jouned Leeds from Crewe back in June 2013, the first time that Leeds had spent over £1 million on a transfer fee since signing Richard Cresswell in 2005. Murphy would go on to make 103 appearances for Leeds, scoring 7 goals. He even took a pay cut in 2015 when he signed his new four year deal. His season was hampered by injury though and he fell down the pecking order and he would spend the next season on a half on loan at Burton. His return to Leeds saw the arrival of Marcelo Bielsa but he was not to be in the Argentinians plans and was released a year early from his contract. Murphy would sign for Bolton where he would make 40 appearances before re-joining hometown club Crewe last year.

Marcelo Bielsa names a strong Leeds eleven with Illan Meslier in goal with a back four of Firpo, Llorente, Struijk and Shackleton. Kalvin Phillips will anchor the midfield with Adam Forshaw and Tyler Roberts in the middle and Jack Harrison and Helder Costa on the wings. Rodrigo will start up front. There is a mixture of youth and experience on the bench with Klaesson, Ayling, Summerville, Cresswell, Dallas, Klich, Summerville and Bamford. Tonights game will be Adam Forshaw’s first appearance since September 2019 when he picked up a hip injury against Charlton.

The two sides have faced each other nine times in the past, eight in the league and once in the FA Cup. They have never met in the League Cup before. Leeds United have the upper hand over the nine games with five victories and two draws. Crewe have beaten Leeds twice, both in the Championship back in 2005. The sides last met at Elland Road in September 2008 during Leeds United's League One days. On that occasion goals from Delph, Sheehan, Douglas, Beckford and Robinson secured a 5-2 victory for the Whites. Leeds also won the reverse fixture at Gresty Road 3-2.

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v Crewe Alexandra. 2nd Round of the Carabao Cup

Post by 1964white »

Team selection could be interesting as the U23's play Spurs at 4pm this afternoon
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Even the usual cherry-cheeked optimistic in me is unsure of how to approach cup games these days...

Will Bielsa throw us all a curve ball and bring on the tea lady at CB? :o
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

mothbanquet wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:15 pm Even the usual cherry-cheeked optimistic in me is unsure of how to approach cup games these days...

looks like she is playing for the U23s :)
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

mothbanquet wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:15 pm Even the usual cherry-cheeked optimistic in me is unsure of how to approach cup games these days...

Certainly would be a curveball as she is far better on the left wing.
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

Sell out.. 😁👍👌

Leeds v Crewe, league cup 2nd Rd on Tuesday night... wouldn't have got double figures a few years ago..😉🤔
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

No way to watch this apparently.

Not being streamed on anything for some reason.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Haighy wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:18 am Sell out.. 😁👍👌

Leeds v Crewe, league cup 2nd Rd on Tuesday night... wouldn't have got double figures a few years ago..😉🤔
So is every stand open Haighy?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Bearing in mind the U23's played yesterday with Summerville & McGurk playing only 45 minutes I expect both to feature at some stage of the game.

Possible line-up :

Meslier

Shackleton, Struijk, Cooper, Firpo,

Phillips

Summerville, Roberts, Forshaw, Costa,

Rodrigo
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Haighy wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:18 am Sell out.. 😁👍👌

Think we use to get around 15,000 for cup games, 20,000 for a game v Bradford City.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:28 am No way to watch this apparently.

Not being streamed on anything for some reason.
Just found out all the Carabao cup games are being streamed on totalSPORTEK.com
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:33 pm Just found out all the Carabao cup games are being streamed on totalSPORTEK.com
I expect some if not all will be on the Live Football streaming app. Probably with foreign commentary though.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

How we all feeling about this one in general?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:17 pm How we all feeling about this one in general?
It's another cup game which obviously makes one feel apprehensive.

After experiencing the Rochdale, Bradford City & Sutton fiasco's I decided not to attend anymore cup-ties.

It hasn't got any better under Bielsa as we've lost v Newport, Crawley, QPR, Stoke & Hull all with weakened teams so I believe I made the correct decision.

We may just scrape through tonight, I truly hope so for our fans in attendance
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

1964white wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:34 pm It's another cup game which obviously makes one feel apprehensive.

After experiencing the Rochdale, Bradford City & Sutton fiasco's I decided not to attend anymore cup-ties.

It hasn't got any better under Bielsa as we've lost v Newport, Crawley, QPR, Stoke & Hull all with weakened teams so I believe I made the correct decision.

We may just scrape through tonight, I truly hope so for our fans in attendance
Can't argue with that pal. :tup:

One bright spot of hope is that our U23s are stronger this time around and will continue to get stronger with all the acquisitions we've made, not to mention the higher calibre of youth league they're regularly playing in, so we can maybe expect better performances.

But that said, and I'm not one to criticise Bielsa often as you know, there still remains a bitter taste in the mouth after Crawley especially and it's hard to get away from the whiff of nonchalance surrounding these fixtures on his part...
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

mothbanquet wrote:How we all feeling about this one in general?
Should win it but not that bothered

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

mothbanquet wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:17 pm How we all feeling about this one in general?
I wouldn't mind a good cup run but not at the expense of our Premier League Status. To be honest, I dont think we have a big enough squad for cup runs
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Crewe Alex Match Thread

Post by The Subhuman »

"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Llorente's back tell you what this might be as good a team as we've put out all season ..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Wow Bielsa puts out a proper team in a cup comp, whatever next?

Maybe we're that skint we need to win it?