The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 15th February) Three goals in seven minutes sinks Leeds

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 15th February) Three goals in seven minutes sinks Leeds

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 15th February, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Aubameyang highlights Leeds frailties

A Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang hat-trick, completed in the opening stages of the second half was enough to give the Gunners three valuable points, leap frogging the Whites into the top 10 of the Premiership. It was a day that Illan Meslier will want to forget. The 20 year old was beaten at his near post after just 13mins. The scoreline was doubled five minutes before half time. The former Lorient shot stopper spent too long deciding who to distribute the ball to, and was tackled by Bukayo Saka. The England youngster took advantage of Meslier's out stretched leg, ending up rolling around the penalty area like he'd been shot.

This was nothing more than Arsenal deserved. Minutes earlier VAR had overturned an Arsenal penalty when Cooper was given the benefit of the doubt that he out muscled Aubameyang in the area. The decision could have easily gone against the Scot as many saw the incident as clumsy. VAR didn't save Meslier, and Aubameyang made no mistake from 12 yards. Three minutes later, Arsenal stretched their lead to three when Hector Bellerin scored his first goal for two years for the North London side. A heavily defended Leeds penalty area was breached once again after good work from Saka. The Spanish right back once again beat Meslier at his near post.

Two minutes into the second half, Arsenal made it four. Second half substitute Costa was dispossessed by Smith-Rowe. The youngster found Aubameyang on the back post, heading the ball into the empty net. After scoring three goals in seven minutes, it was Leeds turn to go on the offensive. Struijk netted his first goal for the club following a Raphinha corner. This was followed by 11 minutes later when Costa scored from twelve yards, after great link up play between Raphinha and Roberts. Arsenal missed a couple of guilt edged opportunities to extend their scoreline in the second half, though it was a comfortable win for the North London Club.

Post match reactions from the Emirates

Leeds Manager Marcelo Bielsa...

Arsenal Manager Mikel Arteta...

Do Leeds need to change the way they play?

Four at Arsenal, three at Spurs, six at Old Trafford, three at Chelea, four at Anfield! Is it time that Marcelo Bielsa change tact against the top clubs in the Premiership. This weekend we saw West Brom hold Manchester Utd to a 1-1 draw. Do they have superior players - No! Is it a change of tactic - Yes! Whats more important? Style of play or points? Recently several Sports journalists have attacked the Argentine's tactics, saying Leeds will not improve as a team, unless they are willing to adopt change against certain teams!

Agree?

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 15th February) Three goals in seven minutes sinks Leeds

Post by The Subhuman »

No...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 15th February) Three goals in seven minutes sinks Leeds

Post by HarryofOz »

No, Lo, Nein, Nee, Nyet, Non, Oxi, Bango, Bu, Hayi, Nao, Nie, Ani, Chai, La, Nej and Nil
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

I’d like it if we simply stuck to plan A.

Tinkering with the team upset the rhythm and Meslier was simply awful.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

I didn't see the match live, but saw the highlights on MOTD. It was interesting to hear Ian Wright's comments on the match.

A few people on here have said that Struijk improved in the second half, but the pundits were saying that in the first half the build up play was being frustrated by Struijk - he would just play the ball sideways with no imagination or vision. At one point Raphinha threw his arms up in frustration at him as he wasted a chance to play the ball forwards - instead just tamely passing it sideways.

Wright made the point that the improvement in the second half was down to other players taking responsibility for moving the ball forward - effectively bypassing Strujik. As the second half attacking performance was much better people seem to assume that Struijk must have played better, plus the fact that he scored with a header of course - though he could have done the same playing as a CB.

None of this is Strujik's fault - he is a good CB who at the moment makes a poor DM. He should never have been put in that situation by Bielsa. If you remember when White was put in the same situation he wasn't that good playing as a DM either - it's a completely different skill set and you need to have vision and the technical ability with the passing and distribution in that role. I think that Dallas would have had a better shot at it - I'm not sure that Klich is suited to the role either.
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:51 am, edited 9 times in total.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Aubameyang highlights Leeds frailties
As I stated one of the two factors in this game was the superb hat trick of a player who caught fire... the settled back 4 of the previous 3/4 games would have dealt with things far better.

Do Leeds need to change the way they play?
Agree?
Sorry have to disagree... IMO there was to much "over correction" for the loss of one player...as I stated elsewhere I would have been happier with overall changes and blooding some players than basicly making 4/5 changes with the same team that had been playing well.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

We did change the way we played on Sunday.

We played poorly instead of playing ok on Monday.

These past three years will live long in my memory, Im loving it.

At the back of my mind I know it willl end in tears but after over 40 years a white I know thats the way it is.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:40 am I didn't see the match live, but saw the highlights on MOD. It was interesting to hear Ian Wright's comments on the match.

A few people on here have said that Struijk improved in the second half, but the pundits were saying that in the first half the build up play was being frustrated by Struijk - he would just play the ball sideways with no imagination or vision. At one point Raphinha threw his arms up in frustration at him as he wasted a chance to play the ball forwards - instead just tamely passing it sideways.

Wright made the point that the improvement in the second half was down to other players taking responsibility for moving the ball forward - effectively bypassing Strujik. As the second half attacking performance was much better people seem to assume that Struijk must have played better, plus the fact that he scored with a header of course - though he could have done the same playing as a CB.

None of this is Strujik's fault - he is a good CB who at the moment makes a poor DM. If you remember when White was put in the same situation he wasn't that good playing as a DM either - it's a completely different skill set and you need to have vision and imagination with the passing and distribution in that role.
Yes I saw MOTD too. Good points made there.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:40 am I didn't see the match live, but saw the highlights on MOD. It was interesting to hear Ian Wright's comments on the match.

None of this is Strujik's fault - he is a good CB who at the moment makes a poor DM. If you remember when White was put in the same situation he wasn't that good playing as a DM either - it's a completely different skill set and you need to have vision and imagination with the passing and distribution in that role.
I'd have to disagree with Wright. Obviously Phillips is a lot better in that role than Struijk at the moment but the fact is that in the first half every Arsenal player outplayed his Leeds counterpart - including Bamford, Raphinha, Dallas, Klich and Harrison, Alioski and Cooper who were not affected by positional changes.

In the second half Costa and Roberts came on for Harrison and Klich and played a lot better, especially Roberts. Even then Arsenal still had plenty of chances to score, the difference being that so did we.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Bad first half, not going to pin blame on anyone in particular as nobody took responsibility in the first 45. They won every duel and every second ball because they battled and we didn't. Bad day at the office but I wasn't expecting a win to begin with so shrug.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:49 am Yes I saw MOTD too. Good points made there.
:tup:
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:40 am None of this is Strujik's fault - he is a good CB who at the moment makes a poor DM. He should never have been put in that situation by Bielsa. If you remember when White was put in the same situation he wasn't that good playing as a DM either - it's a completely different skill set and you need to have vision and the technical ability with the passing and distribution in that role. I think that Dallas would have had a better shot at it - I'm not sure that Klich is suited to the role either.
Ben White had a shaky 20 minutes but after that he was fine and we actually won a higher percentage of games played with him as DM than Phillips...
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

HarryofOz wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:53 am I'd have to disagree with Wright. Obviously Phillips is a lot better in that role than Struijk at the moment but the fact is that in the first half every Arsenal player outplayed his Leeds counterpart - including Bamford, Raphinha, Dallas, Klich and Harrison, Alioski and Cooper who were not affected by positional changes.

In the second half Costa and Roberts came on for Harrison and Klich and played a lot better, especially Roberts. Even then Arsenal still had plenty of chances to score, the difference being that so did we.
Well Arsenal fans were saying before the match that each Arsenal player is better than their Leeds counterparts - maybe they were right.

Still, West Brom were able to draw with Man U and the Blades beat them at Old Trafford. So people are right to question why we tend to get so badly outplayed and sometimes hammered by most ( but not all ) of the top teams.
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

Morning all...

1) Rodrigo missing/injured, Huggins, Shackleton, Costa and Roberts all selected ahead of Pablo, why didn’t we let him leave in January?

2) We need a straightforward replacement for Phillips when he is missing, the shuffle does not work.

3) Meslier - I hope he learns from his mistakes yesterday, he will make them, he is learning his trade, he needs this season for the experience.

I don’t think we should change the way we play, I do wish for all his brilliance Bielsa would not be so stubborn on accommodating players he favours and his insistence of the shuffle when Phillips is out
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:46 am We did change the way we played on Sunday.

We played poorly instead of playing ok on Monday.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

mothbanquet wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:56 am Ben White had a shaky 20 minutes but after that he was fine and we actually won a higher percentage of games played with him as DM than Phillips...
Difference being Championship quality compared to PL quality, I’d also disagree, I thought what we lost in defence far outweighed his average performance in the DM role
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:00 am Well Arsenal fans were saying before the match that each Arsenal player is better than their Leeds counterparts - maybe they were right.
Wouldnt expect any less from fans of a team, how much more expensive than ours?

Still, West Brom were able to draw with Man U and the Blades beat them at Old Trafford. So people are right to question why we tend to get so badly outplayed and sometimes hammered by most ( but not all ) of the top teams.
When WBA and the blades are as far in front of us than we are of them ...I might agree...me I like to think every team in the league gets up for us...
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:00 am Well Arsenal fans were saying before the match that each Arsenal player is better than their Leeds counterparts - maybe they were right.

Well they were certainly better on the day and overall have more Premier League eperience.

I'd rather be in our position than West Brom's or Sheffield Utd's.

Also Arsenal were 11th before we played them and Palace who are in the bottom half also scored four against us. We lost 4-1 to Leicester in one game but beat them 3-1 in the other. That's a point more than if we'd played for two draws and a sign that our style won't always see us lose to teams at the top. We've also had a win and a lost against Everton playing the same way each time. Man Utd scored a couple fo goals in the first three minutes while we we defending deeply as they swamped us. That had nothing to do with BielsaBall. Liverpool scored a couple of penalties.

We are still strengthening our squad and have had crucial injuries occurring to the players we spent big on in the summer.

Look at how some crucial injuries at the back have set a powerhouse like Liverpool back. Sure they are still good enough to be near the top, but last season they ran away with the league, the season before that they only ended up as runner up due to Man City's amazing season.

Once our players improve so will our success rate. And to tell you the truth I'm not sure how good we'd be at parking the bus.

Yes we concede too many goals to be a table topping team, but if we're going to be a mid table team - which would most likely occur anyway if we played more defensively against any teams above us as we'd lost out on the the games we've won - then we might as well do it in style.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Welcome back Matt :tup:
gessa

Post by gessa »

HarryofOz wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:13 am Well they were certainly better on the day and overall have more Premier League eperience.

I'd rather be in our position than West Brom's or Sheffield Utd's.

Also Arsenal were 11th before we played them and Palace who are in the bottom half also scored four against us. We lost 4-1 to Leicester in one game but beat them 3-1 in the other. That's a point more than if we'd played for two draws and a sign that our style won't always see us lose to teams at the top. We've also had a win and a lost against Everton playing the same way each time. Man Utd scored a couple fo goals in the first three minutes while we we defending deeply as they swamped us. That had nothing to do with BielsaBall. Liverpool scored a couple of penalties.

We are still strengthening our squad and have had crucial injuries occurring to the players we spent big on in the summer.

Look at how some crucial injuries at the back have set a powerhouse like Liverpool back. Sure they are still good enough to be near the top, but last season they ran away with the league, the season before that they only ended up as runner up due to Man City's amazing season.

Once our players improve so will our success rate. And to tell you the truth I'm not sure how good we'd be at parking the bus.

Yes we concede too many goals to be a table topping team, but if we're going to be a mid table team - which would most likely occur anyway if we played more defensively against any teams above us as we'd lost out on the the games we've won - then we might as well do it in style.
Well said