Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread - An open game in the early stages at Goodison Park

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread - An open game in the early stages at Goodison Park

Post by Ellandback1 »

Saturday 28th November 17.30 | Goodison Park | Live on Sky Sports

Leeds will be hoping they can find their shooting boots for their second visit of the season to Merseyside, albeit the blue side. The Whites will be heartened having recorded twenty-four shots during their nil nil draw against Arsenal last weekend. Unfortunately, only four of these were on target. Alarmingly for Leeds, they have conceded seventeen goals this season from nine games. Only Fulham and West Brom have conceded more with eighteen in the against column.

Everton have not had things all their own way either. Their win against Fulham last weekend was their first points in four games having lost back to back games against Manchester Utd, Newcastle and Southampton. They have scored five more goals, and conceded one less than Bielsa's men. They currently occupy 5th place. The Leeds defence will have to be on their toes to keep striker Calvert-Lewin quiet. The 23-year-old has already netted 10 times this season, with a shot accuracy of 68%.

For Leeds Phillips and Raphinha look set to keep their places, whilst Bielsa must decide whether to promote Rodrigo to the starting line-up. Leeds have no fresh injury worries but the trio of Pablo Hernandez, Jamie Shackleton & Diego Llorente and remain out of contention. Everton left-back Lucas Digne requires surgery on an ankle ligament injury sustained during training and could miss up to three months. Captain Seamus Coleman is still sidelined with a hamstring problem, while Jean-Philippe Gbamin is a long-term absentee.

Leeds took victory in the League Cup third-round at Elland Road in September 2012, the most recent meeting between the two clubs. Patrick Bamford can match Thierry Henry's Premier League record of scoring in his club's first five away games of a season on Saturday. He can also become the first Leeds player to score in five successive away fixtures since Ian Lawson in 1963. Everton's win at Fulham last time out ended a run of three straight league defeats. They could lose successive home matches for the first time since September 2019.

Leeds Starting XI
Meslier, Ayling, Koch, Cooper, Dallas, Phillips, Klich, Raphinha, Alioski, Harrison, Bamford

Subs: Casilla, Struijk, Davis, Rodrigo, Costa, Roberts, Poveda
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by The Subhuman »

Be a bit rough on Alio if he's dropped to make way for Moreno. MOTM v the Arse.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
LevLeeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @Simonlev99

Post by LevLeeds »

faaip wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:06 pm Be a bit rough on Alio if he's dropped to make way for Moreno. MOTM v the Arse.
I agree it would harsh on Alio, but IMO we look much more of an attacking threat with Rod on the pitch. Really impressed with him so far. Needs a good run a games to really show his worth.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Mentioned this on a previous thread but here is my line up.

Meslier
Ayling Cooper Koch Dallas
Phillips
Raphinha Rodrigo Klich Harrison
Bamford

Very very harsh to drop Gjanni after such a good performance (and in fact, I think Marcelo will go with the same line up as he did v Arsenal) but for me Rodrigo simply has to play.
LevLeeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @Simonlev99

Post by LevLeeds »

I also think Costa has been excellent this season, but he seems to have slipped down the pecking order. Long season though, hopefully no serious injury's hot the squad but depth in the squad is looking much better. Still think couple of new additions in Jan would be useful.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Shackleton, Pablo and Llorente are still not available, but the rest of the players are.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Bielsa on Everton

"Week to week I have been commenting on a team’s results. You have already commented so I don’t need to give an explanation. The succession of their results speak for themselves, but there’s the performance we can analyse"

Weaknesses you can exploit?

"Prior I gave an explanation into our defensive woes. I would require the same time to analyse them, so I can’t give you a sympathetic answer. In that press conference I appreciated I was allowed to explain for 20 minutes. I would need the same now"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Bielsa's thoughts on Ancelotti

"I have respect and admiration for Ancelotti. First of all, because he has been wanted by all the best teams in the world. He has been chosen by some of the most powerful institutions, which shows how good he is. Secondly, he has triumphed everywhere he has been. The third thing is he is well respected by the players as well as his other colleagues. The last thing is he has never been criticised. His tactics are always unselfish and it is always valuable to have all of this in one manager is not very frequent"
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Digne reportedly out due to ankle injury.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Rodrigo has to be added to the starting line up which will push Alioski out. I think we'll see a rotating lineup, contingent upon fitness and availability. Against tougher opponents, we'll play 3 (with Dallas) in midfield and against others we'll play a number 10 (Rodrigo)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

LevLeeds wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:07 am I agree it would harsh on Alio, but IMO we look much more of an attacking threat with Rod on the pitch. Really impressed with him so far. Needs a good run a games to really show his worth.
And we didn't spend £27m on Rodrigo to sit on the bench
gessa

Post by gessa »

You play your best team, always, Rodrigo gives us something we don't have elsewhere in the squad.
Tomorrow will be a tough game, the way Everton break out will cause us problems, we have to cut off the supply to C L or we'll be severely punished.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:01 pm You play your best team, always, Rodrigo gives us something we don't have elsewhere in the squad.
Tomorrow will be a tough game, the way Everton break out will cause us problems, we have to cut off the supply to C L or we'll be severely punished.
Calvert-Lewin is good in the air, hope our CB's don't have a mare!
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

How about Rodrigo coming in for Bamford? :angel:
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Just read that 6 of Paddy's 7 goals this season have come in away games.

Could just be a coincidence of course but I have a feeling he will score again.

Leeds1000 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:51 pm How about Rodrigo coming in for Bamford? :angel:
7 goals in 9 PL games. Makes him undroppable at the minute for me.

I agree Rodrigo has to play, looks so dangerous. Harsh to drop Alioski but not sure how else you fit him in.

Could potentially argue for Alioski LB, Dallas RB with Ayling in at CB and Cooper on the bench... Don't see the captain getting dropped though, especially not after a clean sheet.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

The boys getting ready for Everton:

Meslier really does have a great voice doesn't he
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Leeds1000 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:51 pm How about Rodrigo coming in for Bamford? :angel:
Can't see it, without our No.19 Paddy is the only prolific scorer in our team
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Fridge wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:59 pm Just read that 6 of Paddy's 7 goals this season have come in away games.

Could just be a coincidence of course but I have a feeling he will score again.

7 goals in 9 PL games. Makes him undroppable at the minute for me.

I agree Rodrigo has to play, looks so dangerous. Harsh to drop Alioski but not sure how else you fit him in.

Could potentially argue for Alioski LB, Dallas RB with Ayling in at CB and Cooper on the bench... Don't see the captain getting dropped though, especially not after a clean sheet.
If Rodrigo starts....Ayling, Koch, Cooper, Dallas will be our back four
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Fridge wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:12 pm The boys getting ready for Everton:

Marcelo still on his usual walkabout :lol:
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

the way i see it if we dont create any chances and take them, we will be buried.