Leeds Utd v Blackburn Rovers Match Thread - Bielsa names unchanged starting XI

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v Blackburn Rovers Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

BGwhite wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:51 pm Image. Laughable. Asking too much of players too soon will break them.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
The perils of working on a small squad, some or our fans are happy with the situation I think they tend to forget this is a long old season over 46 games. Injuries/suspensions/fatigue bound to take it's toll :(
gessa

Post by gessa »

Not sure if it's fans being happy, more like some being more accepting of what Bielsa likes, than others.
hector

Post by hector »

It matters not,if we are happy about it, or even if we accept it.

We have absolutely no input over it, so I don't see the point in worrying about it :mrgreen:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:51 pm Not sure if it's fans being happy, more like some being more accepting of what Bielsa likes, than others.
I'm a massive fan of Marcelo, doesn't mean he gets everything right, just think a small squad leaves us extremely vulnerable especially come the final three months just as it did last season.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:57 pm It matters not,if we are happy about it, or even if we accept it.

We have absolutely no input over it, so I don't see the point in worrying about it :mrgreen:
I've been inputting good money into my club for 56 years, a fortune tbh

Not worrying about it Hector concerned yes, I just want us to succeed & not leave ourselves wide-open to failure once again
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

BGwhite wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:11 pm I said last season Bielsa's training methods have a lot to do with all the injuries and I have no reason to doubt it.

Maybe the price to pay for such improved tactics we have witnessed this past season.

In the end I wonder what will be worth it.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:00 pm I'm a massive fan of Marcelo, doesn't mean he gets everything right, just think a small squad leaves us extremely vulnerable especially come the final three months just as it did last season.
The thing I don’t get is, his theory of the small squad, 2 for each position and a u23 as back up. The thing is he doesn’t seem to trust the u 23s in certain positions, in stead shifting players around and slotting in, so it doesn’t make sense why we’re not bringing players in.
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

I think we’ll win and win well tomorrow, Pablo will be a big bonus, I really hope Bamford can get on the score sheet, Pablo, Roberts and a in form Harrison should give us a lot of threat. I’d like to see Davis at LB, looks like a real option, I wouldn’t mind seeing Douglas come in though, if he could get a run of games and hit some for he could be a big player for us, he has never looked anywhere near it though, sometimes returning after an injury a players confidence starts at neutral and he may kick on if he plays.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

dezzy wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:56 pm The thing I don’t get is, his theory of the small squad, 2 for each position and a u23 as back up. The thing is he doesn’t seem to trust the u 23s in certain positions, in stead shifting players around and slotting in, so it doesn’t make sense why we’re not bringing players in.
I did some reading last season and i think the u23 back up is a bit of a myth.

The truth is MB has his core squad of 18 and only as a last resort will anyone get in ahead of it.

From memory, at Marseille and both seasons at Bilbao a maximum of 18 players played 10 games or more.

At Bilbao 2nd season i think it was only 15 who started 10 games or more.

MB has a core squad of 18 players and bar a disaster he will shuffle them around more then use anyone outside it.

Interestingly though 21 players played 10 games or more for us last season but injuries played a part im sure and of course Kiko coming in, Shacks and Clarke establishing themselves when crisis demanded the u23s were used.

I think its very hard to get in to MBs core group but you can establish yourself if you get the chance.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Bielsa says 2 players per position but he only has 18 in the squad. There are times when he needs to move players into other positions because of injuries but then he has to move another player or bring one in to cover which is ok with just 1 injury or 2 but Leeds will have 3-4 or more out with injuries so then it becomes necessary to put players into positions which they are totally unsuited to which affects the whole set up. I do wonder if MB , as good as he is, does it this way just to make HIS life easier . I still can't see him getting Leeds up with his strategy.

dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Cjay wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:55 pm I did some reading last season and i think the u23 back up is a bit of a myth.

The truth is MB has his core squad of 18 and only as a last resort will anyone get in ahead of it.

From memory, at Marseille and both seasons at Bilbao a maximum of 18 players played 10 games or more.

At Bilbao 2nd season i think it was only 15 who started 10 games or more.

MB has a core squad of 18 players and bar a disaster he will shuffle them around more then use anyone outside it.

Interestingly though 21 players played 10 games or more for us last season but injuries played a part im sure and of course Kiko coming in, Shacks and Clarke establishing themselves when crisis demanded the u23s were used.

I think its very hard to get in to MBs core group but you can establish yourself if you get the chance.
He is as loyal as they come and I’d imagine a part of that is what makes the players better, frustrating at times though
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

I think we just have to accept what MB has done for the team despite his frustrating traits. We are much better to watch under his guidance but unfortunately, imo, not going to get promoted because of his frustrating traits......its a conundrum !!
hector

Post by hector »

60sUnited wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:41 am I think we just have to accept what MB has done for the team despite his frustrating traits. We are much better to watch under his guidance but unfortunately, imo, not going to get promoted because of his frustrating traits......its a conundrum !!
this :tup:
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:42 am Especially excited about this as it will be my first time back at EL in a long time.

I have mixed feelings about leaving Costa out as he really needs games but can we really have a midfield of Harrison, Roberts Pablo and Costa with KP as DFM? Does that leave us too exposed defensively ?

It'll be nice to see Stewart Downing play ( though obviously not too well) as he was one of my favourite players from times past.

What is the best pub to visit?

Plane lands at 12ish so expect to be at ground around 1.30.
Ian, you could go to the Whistle Stop in Beeston. Plenty of Irish in there every game. 10 mins walk to the ground when you've had a gallon.. 👍🍺
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

Would be a major lift for the team if Pablo came back in with a MOTM display
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Nice but fresh here in the east

I read it's much colder in Leeds

Wrap up folks this afternoon, no shorts on today for me at ER :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Doire_Boi wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:35 am Would be a major lift for the team if Pablo came back in with a MOTM display
Indeed Doire :tup: our only class attacking player
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

1964white wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:17 am Nice but fresh here in the east

Been reading that Yorkshire has been getting bashed with rain.. any games called off yet?
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:17 am Nice but fresh here in the east

At least the rain has stayed away.

I have my long johns on.

Just got picked up from airport and am getting a few sarnies at the place we are stopping tonight.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Haighy wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:27 am Ian, you could go to the Whistle Stop in Beeston. Plenty of Irish in there every game. 10 mins walk to the ground when you've had a gallon.. 👍🍺
Might try there after we get like some grub.
'