Match Thread - WS Wanderers vs Leeds United (Sat 20th July)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
PaulWSW
Ballboy
Ballboy

Re: Match Thread - WS Wanderers vs Leeds United (Sat 20th July)

Post by PaulWSW »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:02 am Opposite over here, no standing allowed, though Leeds fans stand all game. Rugby League on the other hand has plenty of terraces, some of them I deffinitely wouldnt describe as 'safe standing'.
Yeh, I'm pretty aware of that but thanks. Our newly installed safe standing is a ground breaker over here. Hopefully it is installed in more new stadiums here.
It was a first on Saturday night. They only sold 1 ticket per 1 regular seat for the safe standing area and then everyone moved into the middle bays, making it look like the area wasn't sold out. Our authorities will hopefully learn that it's ok to sell 2-3 tickets for every seat and then the safe standing areas could be filled. It will also increase the capacity of the stadium to about 31500 - 32000, as opposed to the current seated capacity of 30000.
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Post by Kyle_5351 »

What a whirlwind couple of days this was. Ended up flying down on the Saturday morning and flying back on the Sunday. It was well worth it though and we had an amazing time. I ended up losing my wife temporarily at half time. I went to the bathroom and when I came out she had disappeared, but with a group of Leeds supporters singing and chanting near by, I knew exactly where she would have gone. Yes, as it turns out she was well in the middle of it...

The new stadium WSW have is truly amazing. My wife and I were seating not far above the Leeds active area and the view was astonishing. We will make arrangements to go back down when our local team plays there this season.

As for the game, it was a good first half to watch and I was happy that the Wanderers came out looking to play football. Unfortunately once they scored the goal, it was pretty much all one way traffic like we saw many of times in the Championship last season. That sort of defending is hard to break down, but we need to find a way, as I am sure plenty of teams will be trying the tactic to absorb the pressure and look to counter.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kyle_5351 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:31 am What a whirlwind couple of days this was. Ended up flying down on the Saturday morning and flying back on the Sunday. It was well worth it though and we had an amazing time. I ended up losing my wife temporarily at half time. I went to the bathroom and when I came out she had disappeared, but with a group of Leeds supporters singing and chanting near by, I knew exactly where she would have gone. Yes, as it turns out she was well in the middle of it...

The new stadium WSW have is truly amazing. My wife and I were seating not far above the Leeds active area and the view was astonishing. We will make arrangements to go back down when our local team plays there this season.

As for the game, it was a good first half to watch and I was happy that the Wanderers came out looking to play football. Unfortunately once they scored the goal, it was pretty much all one way traffic like we saw many of times in the Championship last season. That sort of defending is hard to break down, but we need to find a way, as I am sure plenty of teams will be trying the tactic to absorb the pressure and look to counter.
Glad you & your wife got to see Leeds Kyle, must have been a great experience for you both. Now you realised what I have to endure in the majority of our games :lol: great to watch but my god we don't half make hard work of winning games. We cannot expect or rely on Pablo saving our hides every game.

No disrespect to WSW but I know for certain championship clubs will be much more clever with tactics on how to beat us, as with last season they'll probably only need a couple of chances to put the game to bed.
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Post by Kyle_5351 »

1964white wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:47 am Glad you & your wife got to see Leeds Kyle, must have been a great experience for you both. Now you realised what I have to endure in the majority of our games :lol: great to watch but my god we don't half make hard work of winning games. We cannot expect or rely on Pablo saving our hides every game.

No disrespect to WSW but I know for certain championship clubs will be much more clever with tactics on how to beat us, as with last season they'll probably only need a couple of chances to put the game to bed.
I completely agree, WSW or any club here in Australia are no where near the same level, but we ultimately did struggle against the teams last season who sat back, absorbed the pressure and looked to counter us. We found that very hard to break down at times last season and it is something that the side needs to overcome. I remember a stat that was along the lines of Leeds entering the box 27 times against WSW. We are creating some very good opportunities in front of goal, we just need to be more clinical.

I took a lot of positives out of both of the games played over here, especially considering we have no much more to join the first 11 once the season starts.