The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 11th July)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 11th July)

Post by weasel »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:29 am It depends on how long Leeds were trying to get rid of him for?

I guarantee you if could have sold him for double if we just kept hold of our asset until the beginning of the season.

All it meant was, Brentford were the only club (at that specific time) that were in a position to buy him!
That's just nonsense - are you seriously suggesting that a premiership club would have been interested but didn't have £4m or £5m available or thought we don't want to buy him now we would much rather wait 3 or 4 weeks and see what is available?

Almost as much nonsense as PJ telling his agent to directly contact Brentford, yeah maybe after he'd directly told his agent to contact every premiership club and half a dozen other championship clubs first.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 11th July).

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds are in a tug of war with Celtic over Brentford's Captain Romaine Sawyers.

The creative 27yo midfielder has caught the eye of Bielsa.

If only Leeds had a bargaining chip.... :roll:
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 11th July).

Post by Dalton »

Clubs knew that there was/is issues with PJ and the manager/player relation and the Villa episode proved the fact. I think if he was a good solid quiet pro then more clubs would have come in for him.
Still wish he was playing for us though
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:57 pm That's just nonsense - are you seriously suggesting that a premiership club would have been interested but didn't have £4m or £5m available or thought we don't want to buy him now we would much rather wait 3 or 4 weeks and see what is available?

Almost as much nonsense as PJ telling his agent to directly contact Brentford, yeah maybe after he'd directly told his agent to contact every premiership club and half a dozen other championship clubs first.
I'm saying between now and the end of the season, the probability of one of seven Premiership clubs I'm thinking of will find themselves in a position that they'll need to strengthen with a centre back.
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:24 am Probably because clubs were unaware he was on the market, us fans & various transfer sites didn't realise Pontus was up for sale.

Not sure about that mate, 1 email, click, send to all (91other clubs,realistically 38)
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

gessa wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:34 pm Not sure about that mate, 1 email, click, send to all (91other clubs,realistically 38)

As soon as he is told he needs to find a new club his agent starts touting him around.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

gessa wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:34 pm Not sure about that mate, 1 email, click, send to all (91other clubs,realistically 38)
Sorry Gessa, I'm with Leon.

If Jansson was being touted about to other clubs don't you think we would have heard about it?

Seriously, 38 clubs, Managers, owners, personal assistants, secretaries - you don't think one of those people would have said anything either down the pub, facebook or twitter?
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:52 pm Sorry Gessa, I'm with Leon.

If Jansson was being touted about to other clubs don't you think we would have heard about it?

Seriously, 38 clubs, Managers, owners, personal assistants, secretaries - you don't think one of those people would have said anything either down the pub, facebook or twitter?
We didn't hear anything about the Brentford deal until it was essentially done. Plenty of 'in the know' people spout bollocks on Twitter etc... "I know a guy who's missus' best friend works in catering at Bournemouth and says we're getting Josh King on loan." not hard to make this stuff up and it spread (as the square ball found out!).

We had people say Vermaelen was going to be announced at the kit launch, Cahill coming in, Welbeck rumour published by big media... all rubbish!

We've been good at doing business quietly recently (only the Costa deal was widely publicised and on the mark).
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Genghers wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:49 am Another disruptive influence who had fallings out with the team last year...
yes I'm not a fan of the move, sportsmen these days start to decline at around 30, another reason PJ wasn't worth 10M. We basically used the money saved from not giving Mack a new contract to make Trent Brown the top paid RT in the NFL a bit toward Brown. We did at least get Antonio cheap a third and fifth I think, The equivalent of selling Pontus for a Mill or so.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Oh so you think the scenario simply played out like this.

3 weeks ago Bielsa and the club decide to sell PJ. They don't bother doing anything about it though. Then a few days ago they contact PJ's agent out of the blue and see if he can find a club that might be interest in PJ. Dahlin and his agent talk it over and decide not to bother contacting any premiership clubs because PJ remembers it has always been his dream to play for Brentford and that is more important than his dream to play in the premiership.

Personally I feel it is more likely it played out like this.

End of the season and Orta and Bielsa had their meeting (prior to Bielsa agreeing to stay). Bielsa names PJ as one of the players that he doesn't mind leaving. The club then contacts teams in the premiership to see if anyone wants him. Surprisingly no one seems to want him. The club then decide that maybe he is worth keeping as the fee will be low but then PJ starts his antics about having extra holiday. It is the last straw for Bielsa so he tells the club to simply accept the best offer they can get as he doesn't want PJ to remain at the club. The club, having found no teams interested, contact PJ's agent and tell him that as they don't want PJ to see what clubs he (the agent) can find that want PJ. The agent finds there are hardly any teams that want PJ, a couple in Europe and Brentford. As such the club thrash out a deal with Brentford and PJ is sold. The club leak out information in a forlorn hope to drum up any more interest but alas there is no mad late stampede for PJ's signature.
gessa

Post by gessa »

I don't believe only continental clubs and Brentford were told.
There were lots of tweets going around from Brum fans, saying they should try a gazump Brentford, they're a CB down and they had the money from the Adams sale, someone tweeted from the club "no thanks", it was removed shortly afterwards.