Playlist over the last week.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Playlist over the last week......

Post by Sara »

Durly wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:32 am It's not a popular opinion but I really like Gift. An excellent record........especially as it was only really made in spite and as a way of stopping Wayne Hussey and Craig Adams (big Leeds fan) using the name.
Agreed, I've played it a lot over the years. It stands on its own, regardless of anything the Sisters did before or since. I put it in the, when you're in the mood for it, nothing else will do, category.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I still really like the deadpan minimalism of the early EPs. Gift has that, but with a lush sound.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

+1 on Gift, I really like it. And as Durly has already said, it was Andrew's way of stopping Hussey and Adams using the name. Spiteful bugger that he was/is! Eldritch throws the odd Gift track into the live Sisters set these days, sounds good with the current band.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Didn't know they were still touring. I've lost touch, and they can be a bit hit and miss live.

I don't think I've come across anyone who's even heard Gift before, and here are two people who actually like it.

For the benefit of the uninitiated:
https://youtu.be/SX5cfMMM-LI
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Bit of post rock for me this week

Tortoise and the excellent Black Math Horseman's - Wyllt
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

lufc1304 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:09 pm +1 on Gift, I really like it. And as Durly has already said, it was Andrew's way of stopping Hussey and Adams using the name. Spiteful bugger that he was/is! Eldritch throws the odd Gift track into the live Sisters set these days, sounds good with the current band.
Yeah, I've seen the Sisters a couple of times in the past few years and they've thrown 'Jihad' and 'Giving Ground' into the setlist.
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

faaip wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:48 pm Bit of post rock for me this week

Tortoise and the excellent Black Math Horseman's - Wyllt
Love a bit of Tortoise.
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

Minus Pilots - And We Too Lie In Drifts
Elsa Hewitt - Citrus Paradisi
Faith Brothers - Eventide
Crows - Silver Tongues
Yellow6 - Running To The Red

Also just started listening to Sun Kil Moon - I Also Want To Die In New Orleans but not given it enough time yet.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:11 am Mogwai - Come On Die Young
Billie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep
Dark Star - 20/20 Vision
Sisterhood - Gift
King Crimson - Red
Arab Strap - Philophobia
I know you're a Crimson fan so when GW started the Crimson at 50 thread today over on waccoe he added this cracking version of the Bowie classic ..with Fripp reprising his guitar work. Thought you may enjoy it

"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

It's great, isn't it!

Just under three weeks now, until I see what may be their last concert in England!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:36 pm It's great, isn't it!

Just under three weeks now, until I see what may be their last concert in England!
Is that the Royal Albert Hall one..GW's recent injury has him missing that and he's given his ticket to the daughter of another MOTer Barry Anorak ...Who I'm assume will be there too
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I've just found out Brass Against are playing a festival in Cornwall this weekend about a mile (Scorrier) from our friends house in St Day..opportunity missed though unsure Sophia would be singing and that would be the reason to go..Love Brass Against
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Yes, Albert Hall, Thursday 20th.

Don't know Brass Against, but found this:

https://youtu.be/8zfYO9sZjrE
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Do you like No Go Stop? They're from Bristol, but tend to play pubs in Dorset over the summer.

https://youtu.be/Mt4w5ywc76E
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm obsessed with Sophia Urista, cracking voice and a fair bit of original stuff too but known for her work with Brass Against and The Veevees. Wonderful Brass against covers have been my playlist this afternoon. Adore the arrangements on all these courtesy of the saxophonist Andrew Gutauskas

Great version of Sabotage (Beastie Boys) recently added with Sophia on vocals
3 Rage covers - No Shelter/Bullet in the Head/Wake up
Pantera's - Walk
DJ Shadow/Run the Jewels - Nobody Speak (The original videao for thsi one of my all time favourite videos, great track great vid

ended up with my nomination in the best song poll

The Veevees - Wet Evolver and then a cracking blues song Hard Lovin'
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:17 pm Do you like No Go Stop? They're from Bristol, but tend to play pubs in Dorset over the summer.

https://youtu.be/Mt4w5ywc76E
ooh that's good, I do love good brass. Will check them out further, they're fun
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Think I'm due a slap on the wrist for going off topic ...
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

faaip wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:07 pm I know you're a Crimson fan so when GW started the Crimson at 50 thread today over on waccoe he added this cracking version of the Bowie classic ..with Fripp reprising his guitar work. Thought you may enjoy it

I know I've posted this before, but the very best concert I ever saw was King Crimson at Plumpton Festival in 1968, (I think).
They didn't play on the main stage but played in a tent with about 200 people in the audience and they almost blew the roof off.
It was awesome!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I want this ...this is (and I'm gonna use the F word, it's necessary) f**king magnificent. Most here know I'm a Philly guy when it comes to soul and Tom Moulton has worked wonders

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Has there been a better intro ...ever? ...OK Stranglers Hanging around comes real close but c'mon