The LUFC Breakfast Debate ( Thur 3rd Jan)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The LUFC Breakfast Debate ( Thur 3rd Jan)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Phil Hay has revealed that Leeds have a back up contingency if they fail to land Toon keeper Karl Darlow.

The 28yo remains high on Bielsa's wish list but Leeds fee expectation differs from Newcastle's!

According to the UEP's supremo, Leeds have a number of back up options elsewhere!

My hope is that they'll sign Forster on loan from the Saints, especially after Gunn's incredible display against Chelsea last night keeping a clean sheet at Stamford Bridge cementing his no2 position. This will have pushed Forster ever closer to the exit door, surely!

Sky Sports yesterday reported that Jermain Defoe is available for transfer. The 36yo has been told that his appearances at Dean Court will be limited from the bench.

Whilst a true striker like Defoe never lose their instinct, surely at 36, his best days are behind him?

Would he sacrifice a place on the bench in the Premiership for a place on the bench in the Championship, albeit with a lot more game time?

The last issue is wages. Amazing as it sounds, Defoe is currently on 100k a week at Bournemouth. Leeds would only offer a third of that - surely?

If you were offered a guaranteed play off position today, would you take it?
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The LUFC Breakfast Debate ( Thur 3rd Jan)

Post by HarryofOz »

I'd take Defoe on loan
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

I’ve given up trying to guess who we will and won’t bring in as usually the rumours are total bunkum, we definitely need a keeper and Darlow or Forster would do for me, we need another CB and a striker that knows were the net is
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Morning EB1 and Everyone,

Karl Darlow is a decent keeper by all accounts (well, by my Geordie colleague anyway) but a lot will depend on whether he is happy sitting on the bench at the Toon or if he wants regular first team football for a team top of the Championship.
I too would rather we got Fraser Forster. He's massive, an imposing 6' 7" and experienced at Premier League and international level.
Surely he will be looking for a move away from the Saints?

There's no way Leeds will go for Defoe even if he would accept a third of what he is on now.
It just goes to show how much money there is available in the Premier League when a club the size of Bournmouth can pay 100k a week to someone who's appearances are limited from the bench. Absolute madness.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Darlow isn't even on the bench at Newcastle, so if they're demanding silly money it makes sense not to bother. I don't want him anyway, we need an experienced keeper who will dominate at set pieces.

Looks like Westwood is staying at the wendies unfortunately. Forster would be good, but he's on £70k a week, so unfortunately well out of our price range. Unless Southampton or Forster are happy to make up the short cut.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Good morning Matt & all

Are we discussing Leeds spending money in the January window here ?

Roll on the 1st February !
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Whilst a true striker like Defoe never lose their instinct, surely at 36, his best days are behind him?

Would have thought so especially combined with lack of playing time his sharpness probably won't be there. Happy with Roofe/Bamford and Roberts.

No. Given we have a 12 point lead over 7th place then there should be no way we drop out of the top 6. This isn't like the Monk season and to be honest if we plummet down at the end of the season then what likelihood is there that we'd be able to turn the form around in the play-offs? Also given our awful play-offs record...
I see us finishing top 3, whether we get top 2 is dependant probably on a new keeper and whether Norwich and WBA can keep up the pace - given they have both failed to take advantage of our recent slips then there is no suggestion that both will be able to steamroller past us.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Told ya, bung a mill at Bolton for Alnwick.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Absolutely not. Based on the first half of the season, top 2 should now be the aim.
Had it been offered it before a ball was kicked in August, then yes.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

If we're getting offered a PO spot who is getting offered the the auto spots?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

The things is who exactly is "The team to beat" here?

The answer is no one....Norwich, WBA and Leeds all have their ups and downs and play good football but are vulnerable too
it is simply a case of getting another run going.
It is still in our own hands and we have all but Boro at home
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Goalies.

We shouldn't allow ourselves to be held to ransom by Darlow or anyone else, but we need to be willing to pay a fair wage, lest we forget how Derby a club who were cutting back in the summer outbid us for Jozefzoon.

I'm annoyed tbh that we havent got a goalie now, other clubs had vital signings wrapped up BEFORE the window or the day it opened, we arent even close to anyone seemingly.

Defoe

Love Defoe, as a person and a player, cant see it given his age and Bielsa's style, but i think he'd be a shrewd signing.

Bamford is out, not clear when he will come back, Roofe is basically a poor version of a prime Defoe and would learn a lot having Defoe in the side to mentor him.

Plus Defoe is one of the best ever goalscorers in the prem history and imo the most natural finisher England have had since Shearer.

He may be 36 (only just tbf) Hernandez is 34 before the end of the season, Darryl Murphy is approaching 35, Sharp nearly 33, Leon Clarke last season in his 30s.

None of those strikers have close to the talent Defoe had, if they can still be scoring goals in there 30s then Defoe absolutely can to.

Cant see it but it would be an extremely shrewd signing imo.

Although since Spurs are apparently willing to let Llorente leave id prefer him because he is totally different to Roofe and Bamford.
Last edited by Cjay on Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

With all due respect to Bamford....whilst having talent he has played less than 2 hours football in 5 months for the first team.

Not exactly worth the money....even if he is on 10 grand a week that makes it over 100 grand an hour if on a pay per play contract
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Never heard of Darlow, tbh, though that isn't necessarily a bad thing as I pay little heed to anyone other than Leeds. That said, I'd much prefer Forster and his wages don't have to be prohibitive if Saints pick up a portion (if we're talking a loan).

Big fan of Defoe, very fine finisher and proved himself a genuinely good guy with how he took little Bradley Lowry under his wing. At 36, his best days are gone, but could probably do a job in the Championship. However, if as Cjay says, Spurs will let Llorente go, then we should be going after him as he has played under Bielsa so wouldn't take long to get up to speed, match fitness excluded. For both, wages will be the issue. Breaking the wage structure for either could upset the apple cart and ruin the seemingly great team spirit this group of players has.

It's a tricky one for me. The players already here have got us into this great position, so there is a valid argument that they should be afforded the opportunity to see this season through to conclusion. There is, however, an equally valid argument that a few quality additions might be all that's needed to get us over the line. Tough call for MB, AR and VO; damned if they do and it fails, damned if they don't and we fall short. Who'd own a football club???
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Has something changed with Westwood then? I thought he was out of contract at the end of the season, and haven't seen anything to the contrary.

Playoff place? Certainly not, as that would be a retrograde step from our current position. It would also feel like a betrayal of the fighting spirit and intent to win at all costs!