Cameron Stewart into Leeds for 800,000

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Cameron Stewart into Leeds for 800,000

Post by 1964white »

If McDermott had only listened to me :wink:
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Post by theleedsmango »

drsdadsotherson wrote:Like I said before, the FL have to deem the contract valid for Stewart to get his money at the same time deeming it invalid having sent it back.

They're basically saying the contract is invalid and the FL do not accept it, but we also deem it valid and threaten you with an embargo if you do not honour this valid contract that is not valid or ratified.

It's bull. Complete bull.
Anything to get another kick in at Leeds. I do agree with andywatson, if it is a valid contract, then we need to pay him regardless of performance. However, if it's not valid in the first place, then there needs to be an investigation into the FL way of dealing with these things. They cannot keep letting things happen for a while and then complain that it wasn't done right in the first place. Exactly the same as the Cellino issue. If you guys pass him as fit and proper, then decide later on evidence that was present at the time of the original decision that he is not fit and proper, then you guys have the problems. Not Cellino, not Leeds, but the Football League.

If we are going to pay him, I want to make sure that Stewart is performing to the level of the wage he was on at Leeds, not at whatever team he is at now.If Leeds train 4 hours more per week, I would want him up here training for those 4 hours. Needs to work both ways.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

The contract was valid at the time and Haigh was entitled to sign it at the time. The problem was that it didn't kick into action immediately but only after the end of the loan period. By that time - which was the time the contract was lodged - Haigh was no longer entitled to sign contracts on Leeds behalf so the contract as it stood could not - it would seem - be registered.

However from Stewart's point of view, and the law's he had entered into a valid contract with Leeds - a contract signed by someone who not only was reasonably seen as being entitled to sign it, but was legally entitled to sign it at the time.

Oh to be owned by someone who doesn't believe that they are so special that the law doesn't apply to them.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
andywatson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by andywatson »

drsdadsotherson wrote:Like I said before, the FL have to deem the contract valid for Stewart to get his money at the same time deeming it invalid having sent it back.

They're basically saying the contract is invalid and the FL do not accept it, but we also deem it valid and threaten you with an embargo if you do not honour this valid contract that is not valid or ratified.

It's bull. Complete bull.
As I read the Ipswich link, the £800k figure was arrived at by a FL arbitration process. This tells me that they deemed the contract valid. These arbitration panels are normally legally binding, which means there aren't many options for us.
Wise.......well lets just say I TOLD YOU SO
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team

Post by drsdadsotherson »

andywatson wrote:
As I read the Ipswich link, the £800k figure was arrived at by a FL arbitration process. This tells me that they deemed the contract valid. These arbitration panels are normally legally binding, which means there aren't many options for us.
That's my exact point though, if they deem the contract valid why did they send it back saying it needed to be signed by someone else?
Brader
First Team
First Team

Post by Brader »

So ... If it is deemed to be legally binding. Does that not mean that Stewart is technically still our player?
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Brader wrote:So ... If it is deemed to be legally binding. Does that not mean that Stewart is technically still our player?
Think that's what Mango was saying - he ought to be coming over here for training at least if that's the case.

The FL just make the rules up as they go along :roll:
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

He is not legally our player as we broke the contract. It was a legal contract and he sued for losses as a result. He did not sue for the performance of the contract.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

It was a legal contract with us but he wouldn't have been allowed to play for us or if he did we'd have been guilty of playing an illegal player. Unless Haigh had no legal right to sign the agreement in which case the suit should be against him....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"