Scottish Football Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Re: Scottish Football Thread

Post by Orange Box »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:49 am Someone, I can't remember who, did a comedy sketch about that scoreline but it was "East Fife 5 so far Forfar 4" 😁
Sounds like the kind of thing Ronnie Barker would say
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:07 pm As a kid watching the football scores on Grandstand on a Saturday I did always want to see a Forfar 5 v East Fife 4 scoreline read out, but I don't recall it ever happening.

I don't really take that much notice of the Scottish game but even I've noticed in the last few years there seem to be team names that I don't recall from maybe 5-10yrs ago, such as Kelty Hearts, The Spartans, Bonnyrigg Rose - did they expand the number of teams in the league, or have these just come up through the Scottish pyramid structure, whilst names I might recall have fallen on hard times and gone down the other way.....like a Hartlepool, Rochdale, York etc ??

Sure OB will know :duno:
Is like Lorimer said, the Lowland League and Highland League are the pyramid system for SFL2. I have a local club, the farming lads estate agents and postie type of players. They’ll get maybe 50 to watch the games, two years ago they were within spitting distance of L2. Frightening.
The system is no way sustainable, so club like those you mentioned will get a bit of investment and rocket through the leagues. But will they stay there?

Take Gretna for example, a few years back they got financial backing and found themselves in the Prem and cup finals. The backer left and now the ground is a housing estate.

People o/s Scotland deride the Old Firm, but a visit from those clubs will sustain a semi pro club for the season, I remember watching the Blue Brazil years ago - their biggest crowd of the season was a pre season friendly against Rangers u18s.

And club names? My favourite : Third Lanark.(sadly no more). I always wondered what happened to the first two Lanark sides.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Orange Box wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:24 am Sounds like the kind of thing Ronnie Barker would say
It may well have been OB. It definitely sounds like a Two Ronnies sketch.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

tempFileForShare_20240509-203446.jpg
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Lorimer46
First Team
First Team
Twitter: @dsc67

Post by Lorimer46 »

Orange Box wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:38 am Is like Lorimer said, the Lowland League and Highland League are the pyramid system for SFL2. I have a local club, the farming lads estate agents and postie type of players. They’ll get maybe 50 to watch the games, two years ago they were within spitting distance of L2. Frightening.
The system is no way sustainable, so club like those you mentioned will get a bit of investment and rocket through the leagues. But will they stay there?

Take Gretna for example, a few years back they got financial backing and found themselves in the Prem and cup finals. The backer left and now the ground is a housing estate.

People o/s Scotland deride the Old Firm, but a visit from those clubs will sustain a semi pro club for the season, I remember watching the Blue Brazil years ago - their biggest crowd of the season was a pre season friendly against Rangers u18s.

And club names? My favourite : Third Lanark.(sadly no more). I always wondered what happened to the first two Lanark sides.
Joking aside Third Lanark ( or The Hi Hi as they were known ) to their name from The 3rd regiment of Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers

http://www.hellfirecorner.co.uk/livingston.htm
" The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley "
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Lorimer46 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:31 pm Joking aside Third Lanark ( or The Hi Hi as they were known ) to their name from The 3rd regiment of Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers

http://www.hellfirecorner.co.uk/livingston.htm
I did not know that, many thanks, I’ll give it a read. 👍
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Celtic and Rangers face off for the final time in the Scottish Premiership this season and the stakes could hardly be higher.

The champions are in the driving seat with a three-point lead and superior goal difference.

With just two games remaining after Saturday's Old Firm derby at Celtic Park, it looks very much like a must-win for the visitors.

And that's something Rangers have not managed against their Glasgow rivals this term.

12.30pm today
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Celtic are on the brink of another Scottish Premiership title after emerging from a stormy derby against 10-man Rangers with a vital victory.

Screenshot 2024-05-11 19.37.23.png
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

I'm posting this during the build up to our semi final, in the hope that no-one will pick this up. The other Glasgow team won their important game.

I am, of course, referring to Patrick Thistle, who beat Airdrieonians to claim the right to meet Subhuman's Raith Rovers in the SPL play-off elimination on Tuesday.

There is no other Scottish football news to report.
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Orange Box wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:29 am I'm posting this during the build up to our semi final, in the hope that no-one will pick this up. The other Glasgow team won their important game.

I am, of course, referring to Patrick Thistle, who beat Airdrieonians to claim the right to meet Subhuman's Raith Rovers in the SPL play-off elimination on Tuesday.

:lol: :lol:
Lorimer46
First Team
First Team
Twitter: @dsc67

Post by Lorimer46 »

Orange Box wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:29 am I'm posting this during the build up to our semi final, in the hope that no-one will pick this up. The other Glasgow team won their important game.

If the Jags do manage to win promotion and the Staggies ( hopefully) relegated that would mean with Livvy already down that would mean two less awful plastic pitches in the top league and that has to be a great thing , big game in the battle to avoid the play off on Wednesday night when The Perth Saints take on The Staggies
" The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley "
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Lorimer46 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:03 pm If the Jags do manage to win promotion and the Staggies ( hopefully) relegated that would mean with Livvy already down that would mean two less awful plastic pitches in the top league and that has to be a great thing , big game in the battle to avoid the play off on Wednesday night when The Perth Saints take on The Staggies
Killie going back to grass in 2025. I agree, plastic pitches are bloody awful.
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Now I don’t want to start any malicious rumours ….

Kemar Roofe is being released by Rangers. Apparently one full 90 minutes in a complete season isn’t good enough for a number 9.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

A scare for Rangers last night as they recovered from a two-goal deficit to beat Dundee and avoid an Ibrox embarrassment, while also prolonging Celtic’s wait to be crowned Premiership champions.

Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

1964white wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:01 am A scare for Rangers last night as they recovered from a two-goal deficit to beat Dundee and avoid an Ibrox embarrassment, while also prolonging Celtic’s wait to be crowned Premiership champions.
That didn’t stop the Union Bears section of the crowd walking out. Imagine the South Stand emptying tomorrow night before the players do their final game walk around.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Orange Box wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:04 am That didn’t stop the Union Bears section of the crowd walking out. Imagine the South Stand emptying tomorrow night before the players do their final game walk around.
Aye, I noticed fans had drifted out of the ground long before the final whistle....weird!!!
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

1964white wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:01 pm Aye, I noticed fans had drifted out of the ground long before the final whistle....weird!!!
Careful, you’re speaking Scots, it’s catching!