Illan Meslier 

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by Cjay »

Rather strange turn of events.

Illan Meslier is guaranteed to win the Championship Golden Glove for most clean sheets.

Admittedly with an usually low total as over the last , 9 seasons its been rare to win it with less than 20 clean sheets, Mes can get 19 at most.

He is also statistically the 4th worst performing goalkeeper in terms of goals prevented vs what he should have.

Strange.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Cjay wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:10 pm Rather strange turn of events.

Illan Meslier is guaranteed to win the Championship Golden Glove for most clean sheets.

Admittedly with an usually low total as over the last , 9 seasons its been rare to win it with less than 20 clean sheets, Mes can get 19 at most.

He is also statistically the 4th worst performing goalkeeper in terms of goals prevented vs what he should have.

Strange.
Just goes to show watching football by stats doesn’t work 😂
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:47 pm Just goes to show watching football by stats doesn’t work 😂
Not by a long chalk ... Stats can work but they're overly simplistic in football. I rely on stats a lot in the American version where I can ignore the obvious stat and use the important ones.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:47 pm Just goes to show watching football by stats doesn’t work 😂
Do you hand on heart think he is the best goalie in the league though? Because thats the implication. :)

He isn't :lol:
Signed

King Cjay

Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Cjay wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:18 pm Do you hand on heart think he is the best goalie in the league though? Because thats the implication. :)

He isn't :lol:
Absolutely not.

See my posts above on Meslier. He’s a decent enough young keeper, nothing more, nothing less. Talk of anything north of £25M is pie in the sky for me.

You rely on stats heavily, hence my tongue in cheek comment. He’s the 4th best statistically, but got a chance of winning the golden glove.

Makes no sense statistically.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:25 pm Absolutely not.

See my posts above on Meslier. He’s a decent enough young keeper, nothing more, nothing less. Talk of anything north of £25M is pie in the sky for me.

You rely on stats heavily, hence my tongue in cheek comment. He’s the 4th best statistically, but got a chance of winning the golden glove.

Makes no sense statistically.
Ahh but I can explain statistically why he is statistically the best but how statistically it Is misleading and that statistically he isn't.

Statistically :)
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:10 pm Rather strange turn of events.

Strange.
Straightforward really we have had a very good defence. Defence falters and we don't have that get out of jail card by a keeper performing heroics (ala Schmeichel in past seasons for Leicester). It goes back to the point I have made about Orta several times. He signs young players with potential but didn't put anything in place to improve them. Messlier is better than he was when we first signed him but has certainly not improved as much as he should have done over the time he has been here. Same with players like Struyjk, he has improved but not huge leaps and bound. Even Summerville has only significantly improved because we dropped down a division, same story for Rutter who would likely have been completely lost if we'd stayed in the prem and has only got away with his shite finishing because he has a few assists and a big smile.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Stats? Load of tosh. Keeps somebody in a job, that's all. Get rid.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Cjay wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:27 pm Ahh but I can explain statistically why he is statistically the best but how statistically it Is misleading and that statistically he isn't.

Statistically :)
😂😂😂
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by pjm2019 »

weasel wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:30 pm Straightforward really we have had a very good defence. Defence falters and we don't have that get out of jail card by a keeper performing heroics (ala Schmeichel in past seasons for Leicester). It goes back to the point I have made about Orta several times. He signs young players with potential but didn't put anything in place to improve them. Messlier is better than he was when we first signed him but has certainly not improved as much as he should have done over the time he has been here. Same with players like Struyjk, he has improved but not huge leaps and bound. Even Summerville has only significantly improved because we dropped down a division, same story for Rutter who would likely have been completely lost if we'd stayed in the prem and has only got away with his shite finishing because he has a few assists and a big smile.
Totally agree
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by pjm2019 »

Needs to be sold IF we can get anything over £15 Million
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:08 am Stats? Load of tosh. Keeps somebody in a job, that's all. Get rid.
Couldn’t agree more Swannie 👍
Johnthewhite
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Johnthewhite »

pjm2019 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:30 am Needs to be sold IF we can get anything over £15 Million
And I will drive him there for free :)
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

I don’t think we can compare based only on the games played against us. How many times do we say our opponents keeper has had the game of his life, only for the following week to let in a handful? (that’s a rhetorical question btw, please don’t quote qualifying stats)

Meslier’s best attribute has historically been his shot-stopping, but we can’t say that of him this season. And his control of his 6 yard box is weak, so no, I wouldn’t say he’s the best: but if he is, then the quality of championship keepers is pants.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:08 am Stats? Load of tosh. Keeps somebody in a job, that's all. Get rid.
A friend of a friend runs a comprehensive sports stats business. In fact, most of the tosh spouted by commentators is a product of his researchers efforts. He’s a multimillionaire. Go figure (pun intended).
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Only stat that matters, IMHO, is save % of which he’s 7th from bottom.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

We've been linked with the player we should have replaced Meslier with in the summer.

Viktor Johansson

Most overworked goalie in the Championship for 2 seasons running.

No idea if he is any good with the ball at his feet (load of bolox that anyway below the absolute elite gks).

But he makes saves
Signed

King Cjay

White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Sell Meslier on a buy one get two free deal = Cooper and Bamford :lol: