Angling (and fish joke) thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Angling (and fish joke) thread

Post by JoeDenver »

Love this story. Former professional hockey player turned musky fisherman:

https://youtu.be/1OTCXJ7m6Do?si=KwpouphpKvPv1Wmd
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
hector

Post by hector »

JoeDenver wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:28 pm Love this story. Former professional hockey player turned musky fisherman:

https://youtu.be/1OTCXJ7m6Do?si=KwpouphpKvPv1Wmd
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

hector wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:32 am
Thanks hector for the assist!
airedale
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by airedale »

Enjoyed the video ,the lures he uses are 10 times the size of anything in my tackle box.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Finnish lakes only have course fish like pike and perch, you don't need any skill to catch them if you have a fish trap... set it one day and the next you will usually have caught some fish.

In Scotland where I live the river Nith had course fish cos it was sluggish and slow moving, whereas the Afton was fast and had salmon and trout.

Englishmen who came up to Scotland to fish sat on the banks of the Nith threw balls of bait in the water anoint after perch and pike, which being preditors were looked down by the Scots since they ate the noble fish salmon and trout.

Rather than sit by the riverbank the Scots would "WALK THE WATER" moving along the riverbank covering 5 to 6 miles in the process, and getting exercise at the same time.

When you get old you fish with a trap you have built yourself.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

JoeDenver wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:40 pm Snook are like a saltwater version of largemouth bass, but can get up to 30-35 lbs. they are also really spooky fish. They hide way back in the mangroves and are incredibly powerful fighters.

Musky are the annoying cousins of Northern Pike that are generally bigger, but are infinitely more selective. Known as the fish of 1,000 casts. The people that specifically target them have a screw loose…. I’d prefer to simply have an opportunity of catching them while targeting Northerns which are much, much more eager to take a fly (accordingly, I’ve never caught one). There is also the Tiger Musky possibility, the sterile offspring of Northerns and Musky, and are accordingly sized in between.

And Bones are pretty sweet fighters. You can definitely stop their runs, but part of the fun is hearing the drag go while they run. It often depends on the fish. Toughest fish to land for me have always been Snook as they’ll run back into the mangroves and cut your line on oyster beds. Or they’ll simply muster a huge push and snap your line (40lb fluorcarbon) while trying to get out to open water. Had both happen. For me, that’s part of the appeal in targeting them…
Seems fly fishing is very much the “trend” for lots of species, freshwater or sea. It’s certainly the best way to feel connected to a fish. When the line gets pulled out of your hand it’s quite a thrill. For fishing perverts anyway.
There’s a fish joke there somewhere 😁
Ipswich won’t fade. As predicted.
hector

Post by hector »

Every time I get my rod out of my flys in public...... I get locked up :shock: :shock: :)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

hector wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:21 pm Every time I get my rod out of my flys in public...... I get locked up :shock: :shock: :)
I imagine it’s a very tiny rod that leprechauns could use to catch sticklebacks
hector

Post by hector »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:23 pm I imagine it’s a very tiny rod that leprechauns could use to catch sticklebacks
you wouldn't like it on your nose as a wart :P :P :)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

hector wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:31 pm you wouldn't like it on your nose as a wart :P :P :)
You keep it in your pants young man, I don’t want it anywhere near my nose.
hector

Post by hector »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:38 pm You keep it in your pants young man, I don’t want it anywhere near my nose.
:rol: :rol:
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:18 pm Seems fly fishing is very much the “trend” for lots of species, freshwater or sea. It’s certainly the best way to feel connected to a fish. When the line gets pulled out of your hand it’s quite a thrill. For fishing perverts anyway.
There’s a fish joke there somewhere 😁
Got out on the water for some snook fishing while on vacation here on the Gulf side of Florida. Caught maybe 15 or so little snook like these among the mangroves and lost another 5-6 from false hooksets. Each ranged from 2-4 pounds, but they fight much harder than their size relative to freshwater fish. There was probably a “big momma” snook that got spooked nearby, but the wind was strong and made it difficult at times to keep my kayak oriented for fly-casting. But I think the quantity was successful for the 4-5 hours I was out there. Was nice to break the winter dry streak if nothing else.

Cheers!
IMG_0951.jpeg
IMG_0953.jpeg
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Hmm…not sure if one of the mods has an idea how to rotate the images 90 degrees :duno:
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

IMG_0189.jpeg
IMG_0190.jpeg
Keeping The Faith
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

JoeDenver wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:25 pm Got out on the water for some snook fishing while on vacation here on the Gulf side of Florida. Caught maybe 15 or so little snook like these among the mangroves and lost another 5-6 from false hooksets. Each ranged from 2-4 pounds, but they fight much harder than their size relative to freshwater fish. There was probably a “big momma” snook that got spooked nearby, but the wind was strong and made it difficult at times to keep my kayak oriented for fly-casting. But I think the quantity was successful for the 4-5 hours I was out there. Was nice to break the winter dry streak if nothing else.

Cheers!

IMG_0951.jpeg
IMG_0953.jpeg

Nice one Joe 👍🏼
Would love to have a go at that.
Wish it was that warm here though, absolutely freezing.
Going fly fishing to a small trout fishery near me next week when hopefully the weather is warmer. You can fish in a float tube there but I’ll pass on that 😁
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Jaydog wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:21 pm Nice one Joe 👍🏼
Going fly fishing to a small trout fishery near me next week when hopefully the weather is warmer. You can fish in a float tube there but I’ll pass on that 😁
Whereabouts is this fun to be had?
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:20 pm IMG_0189.jpegIMG_0190.jpeg
Thanks Cussie!!
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Jaydog wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:21 pm Nice one Joe 👍🏼
And I’ll hopefully be getting into the trout groove come mid-May. Colorado had a lot of late winter and spring snowfall which might lead to blown out streams and rivers for a month or so and might delay those plans. Might just keep doing the spring skiing thing until then ;)
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

JoeDenver wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:15 pm Thanks Cussie!!
No problem Joe, I just screenshot your photos & reposted, about the limit of my technical knowledge.
Keeping The Faith
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

JoeDenver wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:14 pm Whereabouts is this fun to be had?
Oh just a small 2 acre lake about half hour from me in Suffolk called Blackdyke. Stocked with rainbows and some coarse fish.
There’s a few other small lakes around here that I need to try plus Grafham Water (1500 acre reservoir) again from the boat with a guide. Some big fish in there.