Middlesbrough v Leeds Utd - Post Match Discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Middlesbrough v Leeds Utd - Post Match Discussion

Post by Kennyb41 »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:01 pm We set up differently without Kamara. Firpo needs that extra defensive cover to play high.
I was worried how Firpo would manage when I saw Gray in for Kamara. Gray ventures forward instinctively, whereas Kamara is the opposite.
This is why I was impressed with Firpo. A very decent FB performance, his forward runs were top notch and his distribution and touch was excellent. Balancing both offensive and defensive duties is much harder than playing 75% of a game in the oppositions half.
Worked on by DF ?

I think so.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:59 pm I don't. He has managed against us twice and played into our hands both times. The first match Boro were a goal up and got blown away by trying to take the game to us, the second match the same pattern. Teams playing this way make us better.
They put up a pretty good fight though Weasel, he's got them playing ok, and they're fit and run like fck for him, and i'm not too sure he's working with quality players either.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Kennyb41 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:09 pm They put up a pretty good fight though Weasel, he's got them playing ok, and they're fit and run like fck for him, and i'm not too sure he's working with quality players either.
I just find it hygely disappointing, even disgusting, that we have fans slagging off Farke and bigging up Carrick despite the fact that we have taken 6 points against Carrick's Boro, despite beind a goal down both times. Farke adjusted the tactics at a key part of the season and took a huge risk - just imagine the flak if we lost. Farke has built up the confidence, clearly evident by the team not collapsing after going behind, and had the bravery to adjust tactics against a very in form team.
A Tourist
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by A Tourist »

Couldnt watch anything but the highlights, but that's one heck of a performance by Summerville. Playing with desire.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

weasel wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:21 pm I just find it hygely disappointing, even disgusting, that we have fans slagging off Farke and bigging up Carrick despite the fact that we have taken 6 points against Carrick's Boro, despite beind a goal down both times. Farke adjusted the tactics at a key part of the season and took a huge risk - just imagine the flak if we lost. Farke has built up the confidence, clearly evident by the team not collapsing after going behind, and had the bravery to adjust tactics against a very in form team.
It's the "grass is always greener on the other side" thing Weasel. Seems to be a common Leeds phenomenon :duno:

Fortunately it would seem Farke pays absolutely no attention to any social media criticism, and is very focused on his plan the the task ahead.

Looking back, I believe there were 2 critical moments in this season for us - the first +/- 6 weeks - and the absolute chaos of poor prior management, the ownership transition and resulting poor player attitudes - and then the international break of last month.

We lost a few games in that first month and a 1/2 that we wouldn't have done at any other point this season. I give Farke the credit for creating stability quicker than many managers would have during that time.He didn't panic and focused on building. Without that approach we might have lost many more in the couple of months that followed.

Then, last month's international break, in hindsight, came at the worst possible moment for us, given how the season had progressed to that point. We had strong unity and very real momentum. Without that break, inmho - we would have got 4 to 6 points from the 3 games that followed, where we got 1.
We had a number of key players get injured on international duty and the 4 (key) Welsh guys having to play an exhausting and deflating extra time & penalties game with a heartbreaking loss. Hard to just bounce back from that 2 days later.

All momentum was lost - and at this point in the season, it's all about momentum.

And at no point in any of this did Daniel Farke complain or whinge and whine. (Many managers would have). To me, he's been like Marcelo in that respect this whole season.

If we go up - we have DF to thank in my opinion. If we miss out (like Marcelo's first season), we still have DF to thank. We were up the creek without a paddle after last years' utter stupidity. Farke and his team - together, it must be said, with our chairman - have got us to be one of the 2 or 3 best sides in the most gruelling league in the world.

Banging on about his substitution strategy flaws or his team selection or other tactics is pointless and far too narrow in focus.

If (when) we go up, given the right resources, I believe Farke can make us competitive in the Prem as well.
But the same voices will continue to bang on about a dozen managers who would be better. There is zero evidence of that (other than for managers we cant afford).
Phild
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Phild »

Watched Firpo closely tonight
His positioning and awareness is absolutely appalling
Numerous times he had no idea where his winger was and when aware was happy to sit way off him and allow way too much time
Just wanders in no man’s land
Didn’t realize how bad his defending is
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

weasel wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:21 pm I just find it hygely disappointing, even disgusting, that we have fans slagging off Farke and bigging up Carrick despite the fact that we have taken 6 points against Carrick's Boro, despite beind a goal down both times. Farke adjusted the tactics at a key part of the season and took a huge risk - just imagine the flak if we lost. Farke has built up the confidence, clearly evident by the team not collapsing after going behind, and had the bravery to adjust tactics against a very in form team.
I agree 100% Weasel. The people on here tearing down Farke are trying to get ahead of the curve. But whatever happens in upcoming seasons will never diminish what he has done with this group in the Championship. It has been a tremendous job!!
Football/Futbol/Soccer
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Phild wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:49 am Watched Firpo closely tonight
His positioning and awareness is absolutely appalling
Numerous times he had no idea where his winger was and when aware was happy to sit way off him and allow way too much time
Just wanders in no man’s land
Didn’t realize how bad his defending is
Aye - his positioning is shocking at times, but I have got past that. I enjoyed his performance because he worked his socks off and still used the ball intelligently. Suggesting he had a good game is a rarity for me, I do not get giddy when he plays as Summerville’s appendage.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:38 am Aye - his positioning is shocking at times, but I have got past that. I enjoyed his performance because he worked his socks off and still used the ball intelligently. Suggesting he had a good game is a rarity for me, I do not get giddy when he plays as Summerville’s appendage.
He just loves getting forward.
He was actually in Boro's penalty when Summerville scored our fourth.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:34 pm I don't buy this nothing to play for stuff, no professional footballer gives up the chance to win.. Won't matter if Southampton are in play or not, they'll be a tough out

In fact you could make the case they'll be relaxed and wanting to hit the playoffs with a win if they're out of the auto race, whereas they could be nervy if they still have a chance

Plus everyone wants to beat Leeds
I agree, the players owe it to their fans who pay good money to watch their team, to give it their all.
However, if they can't finish top 2 by the time they play us I'm pretty sure Martin will rest key players in readiness for the play offs.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Leeds fans are and always have been feckin mental, with the vast majority just having a herd mentality, as seen in the Neanderthal South stand.

Most haven't a feckin clue abart the game, but shout the loudest.

It's adds to why we've had umpteen managers in the past, albeit we have had some maniacal owners anorl.

You'll usually find them in't 'Spoons' on Sunday mornings at 9am, holding Brexit banners no doubt.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

malcolmw wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:59 am It's the "grass is always greener on the other side" thing Weasel. Seems to be a common Leeds phenomenon :duno:

Fortunately it would seem Farke pays absolutely no attention to any social media criticism, and is very focused on his plan the the task ahead.

Looking back, I believe there were 2 critical moments in this season for us - the first +/- 6 weeks - and the absolute chaos of poor prior management, the ownership transition and resulting poor player attitudes - and then the international break of last month.

We lost a few games in that first month and a 1/2 that we wouldn't have done at any other point this season. I give Farke the credit for creating stability quicker than many managers would have during that time.He didn't panic and focused on building. Without that approach we might have lost many more in the couple of months that followed.

Then, last month's international break, in hindsight, came at the worst possible moment for us, given how the season had progressed to that point. We had strong unity and very real momentum. Without that break, inmho - we would have got 4 to 6 points from the 3 games that followed, where we got 1.
We had a number of key players get injured on international duty and the 4 (key) Welsh guys having to play an exhausting and deflating extra time & penalties game with a heartbreaking loss. Hard to just bounce back from that 2 days later.

All momentum was lost - and at this point in the season, it's all about momentum.

And at no point in any of this did Daniel Farke complain or whinge and whine. (Many managers would have). To me, he's been like Marcelo in that respect this whole season.

If we go up - we have DF to thank in my opinion. If we miss out (like Marcelo's first season), we still have DF to thank. We were up the creek without a paddle after last years' utter stupidity. Farke and his team - together, it must be said, with our chairman - have got us to be one of the 2 or 3 best sides in the most gruelling league in the world.

Banging on about his substitution strategy flaws or his team selection or other tactics is pointless and far too narrow in focus.

If (when) we go up, given the right resources, I believe Farke can make us competitive in the Prem as well.
But the same voices will continue to bang on about a dozen managers who would be better. There is zero evidence of that (other than for managers we cant afford).
Top post Malc :tup:

I'm praying DF gets us up, coz it would be a remarkable achievement, and you've highlighted why perfectly.

For one to pick faults when there are a load of positives, is a proper kick in the face for DF.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:38 am Aye - his positioning is shocking at times, but I have got past that. I enjoyed his performance because he worked his socks off and still used the ball intelligently. Suggesting he had a good game is a rarity for me, I do not get giddy when he plays as Summerville’s appendage.
To me, that's gotta be DF man managing him, looking at him, finding his strengths, and playing to them.

Choosing the correct words, and how to put them across.

Where the useless cnut won't be offended and sulk.

Those aren't the right words btw ^

" have you no fcking radar you ya thick twat"

Those aren't the right words either^

But i hope you get my drift.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

He showed some decent qualities when in possession last night, made some thoughtful and good passes quite instinctively in short space anorl. His biggest downfalls though are all defensive, crucially his timing of the tackle is usually 'get behind the couch' stuff, a walking booking, and he'd get lost in a shop.

My fears of him being on the teamsheet have diminished, but i do still pray the oppos don't target him, or we HAVE to defend, like Soton might make us do.

;@)
Madron
First Team
First Team

Post by Madron »

Exactly
I also find it pretty sad and disappointing.
I get the feeling you wouldn't want to be in the trenches with some. They'd be poking their bayonet in your back to go over the top first.
No credit for Farke tonight but still plenty of flak. Sad.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Kennyb41 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:43 am He showed some decent qualities when in possession last night, made some thoughtful and good passes quite instinctively in short space anorl. His biggest downfalls though are all defensive, crucially his timing of the tackle is usually 'get behind the couch' stuff, a walking booking, and he'd get lost in a shop.

My fears of him being on the teamsheet have diminished, but i do still pray the oppos don't target him, or we HAVE to defend, like Soton might make us do.
I think that was likely the main reason that Byram started at right back rather than Gray so that we could almost be a 3 man defence and give Firpo the freedom to simply pop up anywhere. Byram has much more defensive awareness than Gray, not a knock on Gray just an experience thing.

Noticeable also that the Rutter penalty came from Rutter getting the ball in the left wing area, also Gnonto goal saw him in a left wing area. Seems we had a huge plan to overload our left, possibly to expose Dijksteel's weakness (gave the penalty away last night and got sent off against us at ER and is seen as not as good as Ayling).

We created good chances whereas in all honesty Boro got a lot of luck with their first, the second should have been saved and likely the third one if he tried that 100 times he'd only score it a handful of times.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

IMG-20240423-WA0000.jpg
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

malcolmw wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:59 am It's the "grass is always greener on the other side" thing Weasel. Seems to be a common Leeds phenomenon :duno:

Well said. The bashing of him over the substitutions is just bizarre. He gets slagged off if he waits too long and slagged off if he does make changes. We were controlling it at 4-2 and they score a bit of a freak goal from a long ball, doesn't really matter which 11 we had on the pitch that goal would have stilled happened. Without that goal we likely see out the game comfortably and maybe score a 5th.
As it is goals change matches. Chelsea beat Everton 6-0 last week but Everton missed an absolute sitter at 0-0, if they score that goal then that match could have had an entirely different outcome.

Like you say Farke brought us stability quickly with his calmness. This season could easily have gone into a tailspin several times.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:40 pm All Firpo that goal, he must be Paddy's best friend atm... But Paddy didn't panic and cleverly used his body
Yes he remarked in his post-match interview that it is quite difficult to score a goal with your belly
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Farke said he didn't like the first half when both teams were running about like wild dogs. He made a tactical change in the second half to slow the game down and defend deep, and up until three minutes from the end Boro were contained, but that long ball over the top was almost our undoing. Farke played for the win and got it... End of.