Middlesbrough v Leeds Utd - Post Match Discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Middlesbrough v Leeds Utd - Post Match Discussion

Post by 1964white »

Latte Lath has scored four goals against Leeds & has been on the losing side in both games.

Now, he looks a proper striker, impressed with him every time I've seen him play.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:34 pm I don't buy this nothing to play for stuff, no professional footballer gives up the chance to win.. Won't matter if Southampton are in play or not, they'll be a tough out

In fact you could make the case they'll be relaxed and wanting to hit the playoffs with a win if they're out of the auto race, whereas they could be nervy if they still have a chance

Plus everyone wants to beat Leeds
Couldn't agree more.
marie67
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by marie67 »

SG90 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:26 pm Could do with a draw tomorrow! Nonetheless, a win on Friday would mean Southampton can't catch us.
Would prefer a Southampton win.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

marie67 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:08 pm Would prefer a Southampton win.
If we beat QPR, that'd be an amazing result.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:07 pm Latte Lath has scored four goals against Leeds & has been on the losing side in both games.

Now, he looks a proper striker, impressed with him every time I've seen him play.
Most of his career was spent in Serie C where he was mostly mediocre. Then had a good season in Switzerland, before joining Boro. A one season wonder or a hidden gem I wonder? 🤔
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:15 pm Most of his career was spent in Serie C where he was mostly mediocre. Then had a good season in Switzerland, before joining Boro. A one season wonder or a hidden gem I wonder? 🤔
Carrick getting the best out of him.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:07 pm Latte Lath has scored four goals against Leeds & has been on the losing side in both games.

Put himself about anorl, covered some grass he did, perhaps worth a look at.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Prisoner37
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Prisoner37 »

I thought that both of Latte's goals were excellent. The first one he dummied to commit Amps to the block and would have got Mes unbalance, when he did strike. The problem for the first was Georgie trying his tricks in our third and getting dispossessed.

The second one was the only way he could have scored from there. Mes not at fault in IMHO.

I'm a big James fan but since that penalty miss for Wales he doesn't seem to commit to anything, defending or attacking. If he has a rib injury sitting out this season may be his best outcome, then go again next season.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

marie67 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:08 pm Would prefer a Southampton win.
This.

Leicester have shown they can really struggle under pressure against surprising sides and Blackburn beat them last time they met.

I'd be happy with keeping them under pressure.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:54 pm Think Geo may surprise you in the prem... he's been hacked to bits in this division and teams put 2/3 men on him, I think he'll find a touch more time and space in the prem, I don't see many, if any, teams using the low block against us as we'll scare nobody next season, should we go up. We'll be seen as a great chance at three points, a team they need to beat.. They won't look to mark him out of the game or swarm him..
I hope you’re right, he was completely out of his depth last year, granted in a failing team when he’d just arrived in the country, but another disastrous spell in the PL might ruin him.

And he won’t get away with his current profligacy in possession.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

In looking at our weaknesses, i think we've gotta look at Boro, they played well and were running right up until the last second, with many of their mids up and down and allover the park, DF did right to get them in and soak it up for a bit, we were 2-3 up and it wasn't like the usual 'soak it up' performances, we were more organised in front of our goal area with a proper block of 4 and Jimmy and Willy getting back also along with the others, the game needed a 15-20 min breather to go again for the last 25, we've a game again in 4 days.

My biggest complaint is usually the distance between our lines, which as a result leaves space all over the shop, in the second half start we were more compact, and ready to hit on the break. It is the time we look at our most vulnerable when the line distance is too great and our midfield sooooooo exposed, we closed it up and looked better, but i wish he'd do it when we decide to go on the attack like we did v Chelsea.

Our strength lies in our team, and he's built himself something to build on.

I'm just praying we go up, fingers and toes crossed, and owt else if you've got big ears or cross eyes.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I have no complaints for Mes.

The thing i'm worried about is - All season i've been waiting for the fck up that nearly came tonight with Latte, he got away with it, and i hope to fck that thats the one, and only one, and it's gone now.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

The Beeb :

Good night
published at 22:20
22:20
FT: Middlesbrough 3-4 Leeds

Talk about nerveshredding. That was an enthralling night's work by Leeds United, overcoming a gutsy and dangerous Middlesbrough.

It wasn't a defensive purists' kind of game, it was a wide-open, have-a-go, blood, sweat and tears seven-goal thriller where there was always the chance of something happening, be a goal, penalty, card and thunderous challenge.

Leeds are into the top two having delivered some character and guts and skill to do so. Middlesbrough will want to be in that spot next season and have shown promise.

Still plenty of twists and turns yet.

We'll be back tomorrow, it'll have a lot to live up to.

Good night.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Leicester could finish on 96 and not go up.
Leeds could finish on 96 and not go up.
Ipswich could finish on 96 and not go up.
Soton could finish on 93 and not go up.

;@)
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

By the way, I didn’t notice us being so left-dependent tonight - am I right in thinking that we were more balanced in our attacking?
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

SG90 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:15 pm Most of his career was spent in Serie C where he was mostly mediocre. Then had a good season in Switzerland, before joining Boro. A one season wonder or a hidden gem I wonder? 🤔
The latter.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Carrick Dave wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:52 pm By the way, I didn’t notice us being so left-dependent tonight - am I right in thinking that we were more balanced in our attacking?
Yip, and i'd like to see more of Jimmy and Gnonto switching to give oppos more to think about.

;@)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

SG90 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:40 pm I said before, I rate Carrick highly and wouldn't mind him as our manager one day
I don't. He has managed against us twice and played into our hands both times. The first match Boro were a goal up and got blown away by trying to take the game to us, the second match the same pattern. Teams playing this way make us better.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:15 pm That game was bonkers!
Didn't watch it but from the highlights it reminded me of the Sheff Utd win in the 1992 title winning season, the crazy game with the Chapman own goal and then the Brian Gayle own goal. All about getting the 3 points no matter how and it would look like both sides had elements of good luck in their goals.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Carrick Dave wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:52 pm By the way, I didn’t notice us being so left-dependent tonight - am I right in thinking that we were more balanced in our attacking?
We set up differently without Kamara. Firpo needs that extra defensive cover to play high.
I was worried how Firpo would manage when I saw Gray in for Kamara. Gray ventures forward instinctively, whereas Kamara is the opposite.
This is why I was impressed with Firpo. A very decent FB performance, his forward runs were top notch and his distribution and touch was excellent. Balancing both offensive and defensive duties is much harder than playing 75% of a game in the oppositions half.