Middlesbrough v Leeds Utd - Post Match Discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Re: Middlesbrough v Leeds Utd - Post Match Discussion

Post by whiteinfrance »

I agree Meslier is not good enough for prem
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Need to beat QPR, then Southampton cannot catch us unless they beat us by double figures in the last game. Chances are they are out of it, even if they beat Leicester. Providing we win the next one.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

At last, we had a huge slice of luck tonight.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

League table would look better with the point v Blackburn there...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Orange Box wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:18 pm There’s at least half a dozen on here
I mean, from a tactical perspective, there are quite a few on here that are at/above Midland League-level. But his substitutional knowledge/awareness is glaringly his Achilles heel. It’s my main concern with him. This the consultant route probably being necessary (if at all possible).
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

whiteinfrance wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 pm I think we want Leicester to beat Saints now

Probably means Saints against us is pointless for them and it's us v Ipswich for autos
Then they will park the bus and spoil v us. We need them to still have a minor chance so they need to win the game.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteinfrance wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:34 pm I agree Meslier is not good enough for prem
There are quite a few who would struggle in the Premier League.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

whiteinfrance wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:34 pm I agree Meslier is not good enough for prem
THIS. But was there any doubt? Half a dozen keepers better than him in the Championship (or more).
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

JoeDenver wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:37 pm THIS. But was there any doubt? Half a dozen keepers better than him in the Championship (or more).
Palmer from West Brom is the best in the league imo
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I said before, I rate Carrick highly and wouldn't mind him as our manager one day
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Orange Box wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:22 pm Just watched Bamford goal replay. That must be that he’s scored with every part of his body now. Except his foot, obviously.

I’m kidding, I’m kidding.
All Firpo that goal, he must be Paddy's best friend atm... But Paddy didn't panic and cleverly used his body
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

JoeDenver wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:37 pm THIS. But was there any doubt? Half a dozen keepers better than him in the Championship (or more).
Rubbish, the whole back line was nervous, why should the keeper be immune. He had a scrappy game tonight. On the first goal if is going to come he has to win it, but the deflection fell nicely for them.
2nd goal was the one I was disappointed with he got a hand to the ball but it wasn’t strong enough.
Got caught on the ball like all keepers do. Can we get a better keeper - possibly but not from this league bar Pattison at Sunderland.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

JoeDenver wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:31 pm I questioned it the second it was made, but felt that it wouldn’t be an issue given the commanding lead. But unquestionably, we were playing with ten men out there with him on the pitch…
TBF we've been playing with ten men with Paddy on the pitch since the international break... Piroe did ok but, lets sing it together, he's not a striker. We lost the outlet when Paddy came off and Mateo didn't replace him
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Cjay wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:31 pm A slog.

This sit back stuff doesn't suit us, never has, always concede.
Didn’t we also score on the break?
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

1964white wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:37 pm There are quite a few who would struggle in the Premier League.
I think so too, especially Geo at 21/22. He’ll get eaten alive against more capable cynical defenders.

Geo at 26 will be able to handle it, if his confidence hasn’t been destroyed by then.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

SG90 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:40 pm I said before, I rate Carrick highly and wouldn't mind him as our manager one day
If we hadn’t gone for DF I wouldn’t have minded going for him.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Carrick Dave wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:46 pm Didn’t we also score on the break?
Indeed, but conceded 3 goals and were clinging on at the end.

We always look dodgy whenever we take that approach, Sky mentioned it as well.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Carrick Dave wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:50 pm I think so too, especially Geo at 21/22. He’ll get eaten alive against more capable cynical defenders.

Geo at 26 will be able to handle it, if his confidence hasn’t been destroyed by then.
Think Geo may surprise you in the prem... he's been hacked to bits in this division and teams put 2/3 men on him, I think he'll find a touch more time and space in the prem, I don't see many, if any, teams using the low block against us as we'll scare nobody next season, should we go up. We'll be seen as a great chance at three points, a team they need to beat.. They won't look to mark him out of the game or swarm him..
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Farke's here - explain that?
Good advert for Champ football. Two good sides who went for it. Massive compliments to my lads for winning these priceless three points. Unlucky and disappointing last week with some unlucky results. Start this game with an unlucky goal they scored out of.

They played today with freedom. This was their last highlight. Lads felt flat after conceding such a goal, but showed great character to come back into it.

Credit to Boro for their performance. To be leading at half-time, important to calm them down, their nerves down. Wanted to allow them the ball in areas where they cannot hurt us. Fantastic goal from Cree Summerville. Daniel James had the chance to score a fifth.

Out of one long ball they score another goal. Some knocks in the latter stages of the game. Heart and mentality of the players deserves credit.

Credit to Rodon and Firpo for seeing it out?
Offensive players also were disciplined in the way they were seeing the game out and the way they worked without the ball.

The back four were so important to being spot on in each and every moment. Happy with the whole team.

Front four can win any game at any time?
Went back to their best level today. Great goals and assists. Pretty pleased with this. Some criticism for a dry spell. First bad point in 2024, but we have to trust them.

They are all young apart from Patrick, so you have to trust them when they do have quieter games.

Knocks?
Not so much Joe Rodon, just a hit on his calf. Daniel James a bigger concern because it could his core muscle. Bad news if it's a major injury

Gnonto offside?
In the sense of the game, we would have said let it go years ago. If it was offside, we can say 52 against us. Not sure Bamford was offside in the second half when his goal was disallowed. Need to watch it back. Not sure if we are owed something. All the mistakes against us this season.

Watch Leicester tomorrow?
Not sure because we have a long day of preparation for QPR. I will watch more QPR than Leicester tomorrow, for sure. Not so interested because we can only influence the QPR game

Fourth goal big moment in the season?
We knew we played a side today in red-hot form and Boro are always capable of scoring a goal in home matches. They scored out of nothing and it was important to have that two-goal lead. The lads know we are in the crunch-time period.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:42 pm Rubbish, the whole back line was nervous, why should the keeper be immune. He had a scrappy game tonight. On the first goal if is going to come he has to win it, but the deflection fell nicely for them.
2nd goal was the one I was disappointed with he got a hand to the ball but it wasn’t strong enough.
Got caught on the ball like all keepers do. Can we get a better keeper - possibly but not from this league bar Pattison at Sunderland.
He’d be a back up for Sunderland and West Brom, and would likely be third choice at Leicester. TBF, my comment was partly based on assuming there are a couple more keepers in the league, quality-wise, than just them.