I want playoff football and here's why

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: I want playoff football and here's why

Post by John in Louisiana »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:24 pm Smuggling budgies
:lol: :lol:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

This was a debate peice, I of course would have preferred to go up as Champions then as runners up. All I was doing was creating debate and giving, I thought, some excellent reasons in favour of that position.

They all still stand so, assuming Ipswich book their season of misery in the prem, lets regroup and get behind the team again for the extended part of the season. Whether at the ground or behind our keyboards.

One last push
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

And lets not forget the prize here is for another relegation battle season in the prem... but then there's the money
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:44 pm And lets not forget the prize here is for another relegation battle season in the prem... but then there's the money
After the unfortunate lack of a proper preseason and the August transfer window (mercenaries etc) had Leicester and Ipswich not dropped points they way they did, we would have been ok with third place and a playoff spot surely?

It’s the frustration of actually catching them that’s destroying everyone.

The best way to deal with it mentally, is to accept it’s been a pretty good season overall and it could get better.

That’s my positive spin on it even though we’re all frustrated atm.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Some personal thoughts on our players suitabilty ahead of the playoffs:

Negatives.

Gray. Inexperience, playing in a system that doesnt suit him, does ok at RB when we are not attacked. That wont happen in the playoffs.
Ampadu Two relegations was it? Serial failures there. Some people are just not winners.
Meslier. Bricks himself as soon as we are anywhere near Watford. Hasnt ever saved a penalty for us, usually just falls on his arse.
Bamford. Too much going on in his head to be trusted under the intense pressure.
Byram. Won't play more than one game.
Copper. See his calamity with Casilla to see what I think. Panic

Positives.
Gnonto, loves the big stage, will love the chance of a Wembley runout. One worry is he has done well not to blow his top so far this season.
Rutter. Again loves the chance to strut his stuff, will step up brilliantly for us.
Summerville. 20 goals and agents tracking him every step he takes, he will relish it.
Kamara. Big European nights at Ibrox are in his DNA. He will be fine under the spotlight of the playoffs.
Geldhardt. Has form saving our arses. He could be DFs wildcard in these games.
Joseph. See Geldhardt.
Rodon. The Rock. He will love it. Bags on experience, has a terrific will to win.

Unknowns.
Piroe. Has lost his way in our system. Quiet on the pitch, but has the killer instinct to surprise us.
James. Has the experience, but losing in Europa League shootout and then Euro qualifiers may affect him.
Gruev. Played in Bundesliga but not sure how he will fare.
Cresswell. Probably wont kick a ball

Just my take.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

The problem is, we always play well away and s**t in the home leg. So unless we get a big lead in the first game (i.e. 3-0), I can't see us getting through the tie.

I've seen us in the playoffs four times, and 2006 and 2008 we were away in the second leg, and 2009 and 2019 we were at home. So would've been better for us to finish 5th or 6th.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

We won't go up via the playoffs as this lot don't have the character or mental toughness to do it.

I hope i'll be eating humble pie, but I very much doubt I will be.
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Finnatic wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:49 pm After the unfortunate lack of a proper preseason and the August transfer window (mercenaries etc) had Leicester and Ipswich not dropped points they way they did, we would have been ok with third place and a playoff spot surely?

The best way to deal with it mentally, is to accept it’s been a pretty good season overall and it could get better.

All of the above ^ I predicted 4th in pre season poll so if we look back I’d say we’re ahead of 95% of fans expectations. As you say Finnatic frustration is probably the biggest emotion atm considering the great position we got ourselves into after everything we’ve been through only to see it slip away. Still an outside chance of automatic & a decent chance through the play offs so let’s back the players & DF to get the job done. Leave the recriminations til we have to.
Keeping The Faith
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Well they say that the team hitting form in the playoffs is the one that wins it...and that's no one, only Leicester in the top 6 are finishing with any consistency.

Ipswich - no win in 4
Leeds - 3 defeats in 5
Southampton - 3 defeats on the bounce
Norwich - 2 wins in 6
West Brom 3 defeats on the bounce, 1 win in 6
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Finnatic wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:49 pm After the unfortunate lack of a proper preseason and the August transfer window (mercenaries etc) had Leicester and Ipswich not dropped points they way they did, we would have been ok with third place and a playoff spot surely?

It has been a good season with plenty of memorable moments.

Generally I've enjoyed the Championship, after enduring two horrific seasons in the Premier League.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:47 am Well they say that the team hitting form in the playoffs is the one that wins it...and that's no one, only Leicester in the top 6 are finishing with any consistency.

Ipswich - no win in 4
Leeds - 3 defeats in 5
Southampton - 3 defeats on the bounce
Norwich - 2 wins in 6
West Brom 3 defeats on the bounce, 1 win in 6
Interesting!!!
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

Can't stand play offs , not with Leeds in them , the history is abysmal.....never done it and current form doesn't suggest different this time . Meslier has gone back to being crap , maybe just the thought of PL football has had him revert to Captain Chaos . The bigger problem for me is that in all reality it's the inbred retards that are probably getting automatic now . Though I don't like any club pipping Leeds like that , there are 22 clubs in this division that I could accept it s bit better.......I absolutely detest that scummy club . I have to work with the knuckle dragging one syllable word muttering cretins , dribbling morons web footed prehistoric spear throwing apes .
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Clacton White wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:58 am Can't stand play offs , not with Leeds in them , the history is abysmal.....never done it and current form doesn't suggest different this time . Meslier has gone back to being crap , maybe just the thought of PL football has had him revert to Captain Chaos . The bigger problem for me is that in all reality it's the inbred retards that are probably getting automatic now . Though I don't like any club pipping Leeds like that , there are 22 clubs in this division that I could accept it s bit better.......I absolutely detest that scummy club . I have to work with the knuckle dragging one syllable word muttering cretins , dribbling morons web footed prehistoric spear throwing apes .
Ever though about saying what you really think instead of beating around the bush 🤣🤣🤣
Keeping The Faith
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Report reveals Manchester City FFP ‘resolution’ delay in ‘big update’ after ‘expulsion’ warning

One of the news stories this morning suggesting Man City’s FFP hearing is most likely going to be delayed to next year but the word “ expulsion “ has been used for the 1st time. Very,very unlikely the Prem League would want to lose one of their ‘ elite ‘ clubs but if they were demoted to the Championship this would have a massive impact on the other teams in the league as you’d expect them to go straight up again.
Keeping The Faith
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Clacton White wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:58 am Can't stand play offs , not with Leeds in them , the history is abysmal.....never done it and current form doesn't suggest different this time . Meslier has gone back to being crap , maybe just the thought of PL football has had him revert to Captain Chaos . The bigger problem for me is that in all reality it's the inbred retards that are probably getting automatic now . Though I don't like any club pipping Leeds like that , there are 22 clubs in this division that I could accept it s bit better.......I absolutely detest that scummy club . I have to work with the knuckle dragging one syllable word muttering cretins , dribbling morons web footed prehistoric spear throwing apes .

:roflmao: I’m going to use that line the next time one of those people gets in my way on the pavement
Ipswich won’t fade. As predicted.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

I wonder if web footed spear throwers are ancestors from the lost tribe of Atlantis.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:26 am Report reveals Manchester City FFP ‘resolution’ delay in ‘big update’ after ‘expulsion’ warning

One of the news stories this morning suggesting Man City’s FFP hearing is most likely going to be delayed to next year but the word “ expulsion “ has been used for the 1st time. Very,very unlikely the Prem League would want to lose one of their ‘ elite ‘ clubs but if they were demoted to the Championship this would have a massive impact on the other teams in the league as you’d expect them to go straight up again.
Can't see them being kicked out, but yep, if they do, that's one promotion slot gone already.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Depends how many of City's players leave the sinking ship if that happens. Can't see any of their first teamers wanting to hang around in the Championship, there would be a fire sale and a lot of loans out.

FFP becomes difficult for them in the second tier with their high salaries etc...
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

I dont understand peoples mentality when they hate someone or something so badly.They need to go and lie on a couch and talk to someone :)
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:22 am Ever though about saying what you really think instead of beating around the bush 🤣🤣🤣
I will give it some thought 😉.
Seriously, some clubs I just don't like under any circumstances.....I don't like Cardiff one little bit , but will still go for them over the Ipscum....that's how much I hate them . Of course the usual suspects I think we all have on here... obligatory hates such as Chel*** and Manure, however I do like to watch YouTube Flying Pig United and a Chel*** one when they lose and watch these supporters go ballistic. Ipscum don't have that as they are too small and insignificant...no support worth watching...I think the only one is Benjamin Bloom and he never loses it . Shame, Flying Pig always loses it insane proportions....it's brilliant .