Middlesbrough v Leeds Utd Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Middlesbrough pre match chat

Post by Cjay »

The Subhuman wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:37 pm Piroe.................... is .........................not ....................a...........................9
He's said in interviews he's a central striker, his idol is Van Nistelrooy and Russell Martin said multiple times when at Swansea that Joel sees himself as a 9.

He's a 9 :)
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:40 pm He is a goalscorer, something which we could do with. No?
Yes, but not as a 9...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:51 pm He's said in interviews he's a central striker, his idol is Van Nistelrooy and Russell Martin said multiple times when at Swansea that Joel sees himself as a 9.

No pace, doesn't get into the box early enough, doesn't make striker like runs. He's a non creative 10, a second striker, or more likely an 8. Russell Martin also said Piroe ain't a 9... He's a better footballer than Paddy, don't think he's a better 9

And why play him out of position now as a 9 ?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:51 pm He's said in interviews he's a central striker, his idol is Van Nistelrooy and Russell Martin said multiple times when at Swansea that Joel sees himself as a 9.

Did Piroe play behind Obafemi at Swansea?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

The Subhuman wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:00 pm No pace, doesn't get into the box early enough, doesn't make striker like runs. He's a non creative 10, a second striker, or more likely an 8. Russell Martin also said Piroe ain't a 9... He's a better footballer than Paddy, don't think he's a better 9

And why play him out of position now as a 9 ?
Paddy isn't a traditional 9 either tbf.

He's not an 8.

The clue to what he is is given by Joel himself in interviews about players who influence him.

He mentioned Van Nistelrooy who is a proper 9.

Luc Nilis is the one he's more similar to.

Was one of his coaches at PSV.

Elite goalscorer but more famous as a foil for some of the best goalscorers ever including Van Nistelrooy and Brazilian Ronaldo.
Signed

King Cjay

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

weasel wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:06 pm A very valid point and the reason it was viewed as not working was because Rutter wan't scoring enough as a 9. We switched Rutter to the 10 where his lack of goals is seemingly less important but then Bamford got his goal in the cup and then hit one of his trademark sstreaky scoring spells so Piroe didn't really get a chance at 9.

For me at this point I'd go with the better finisher as a goal is priceless now. That for me is Piroe as I dont know enough about how good a finisher Joseph is.
Bamford has done that a few times while at Leeds, last season he came back and scored those two v Cardiff in the FA Cup replay and imo it affected the success we were finding with Rodrigo.

For me if DF goes with Piroe next Monday Joseph has to be first off the bench.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:04 pm Did Piroe play behind Obafemi at Swansea?
Yes but not as often as people think.

Piroe played more than twice the minutes for Swansea when he was there as Obafemi did

37 matches worth of minutes for Obafemi and 81 for Piroe.

So yes it happened but it wasn't the regular thing it has been imagined.
Signed

King Cjay

Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cjay wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:23 pm Paddy isn't a traditional 9 either tbf.

He's not an 8.

The clue to what he is is given by Joel himself in interviews about players who influence him.

He mentioned Van Nistelrooy who is a proper 9.

Luc Nilis is the one he's more similar to.

Was one of his coaches at PSV.

Elite goalscorer but more famous as a foil for some of the best goalscorers ever including Van Nistelrooy and Brazilian Ronaldo.
Why the hell do you always have to find references from past and the internet?

We are are in the present, and he is now struggling to find some form for LUFC, why don't you just use your own head and eyes.

Haaland is currently struggling at Citeh for whatever reason, can you not see it ? We know how fantastic Haaland has been at his previous, but atm, it's just not clicking at Citeh, sack Pep ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:26 pm Bamford has done that a few times while at Leeds, last season he came back and scored those two v Cardiff in the FA Cup replay and imo it affected the success we were finding with Rodrigo.

For me if DF goes with Piroe next Monday Joseph has to be first off the bench.
Me also, i feel he has to be now gearing up for this, PB for 55-60 mins then Joseph, he's got the bench to throw everything at Boro for 60mins
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

The past.

;@)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:38 pm Why the hell do you always have to find references from past and the internet?

We are are in the present, and he is now struggling to find some form for LUFC, why don't you just use your own head and eyes.

Haaland is currently struggling at Citeh for whatever reason, can you not see it ? We know how fantastic Haaland has been at his previous, but atm, it's just not clicking at Citeh, sack Pep ?
Haaland has scored 30+ goals this season.

I can use whatever reference I want to help get my point across.

That OK with you?
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:41 pmThe past.
A man obsessed with a manger who left years ago can hardly criticise people for referencing the past . . . . .
Signed

King Cjay

Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cjay wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:52 pm A man obsessed with a manger who left years ago can hardly criticise people for referencing the past . . . . .
You'd be nothing without the net.

End of.

;@)
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Arguing over what a players position is. Please back up your argument by quoting your coaching qualifications to suggest you know what qualifies as a 9. So many players now can play multiple positions. Faaip suggested not that long ago that Summerville’s best position was on the right.
Thank feck Foden isn’t at our club that thread would go on and on and on.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:58 pm You'd be nothing without the net.

End of.
If that makes you feel less inferior then let's go with that.

Without "the net" you wouldn't have me in your life so I'd imagine you are very grateful
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:32 pm Yes but not as often as people think.

Piroe played more than twice the minutes for Swansea when he was there as Obafemi did

37 matches worth of minutes for Obafemi and 81 for Piroe.

So yes it happened but it wasn't the regular thing it has been imagined.
:tup:
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cjay wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:04 pm If that makes you feel less inferior then let's go with that.

Without "the net" you wouldn't have me in your life so I'd imagine you are very grateful
Yes, very.

;@)
Baldbloke
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Baldbloke »

The Subhuman wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:49 pm Wacky Races, Ant Hill mob were just one of the cars .... Someone once worked out the overall champion if each race followed the same scoring as Formula 1...
Are you going to tell us who it would have been then? Suspense is killing me 🤣😖
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Baldbloke wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:40 am Are you going to tell us who it would have been then? Suspense is killing me 🤣😖
Sorry ..my bad

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

DDB220 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:02 pm Arguing over what a players position is. Please back up your argument by quoting your coaching qualifications to suggest you know what qualifies as a 9. So many players now can play multiple positions. Faaip suggested not that long ago that Summerville’s best position was on the right.
Thank feck Foden isn’t at our club that thread would go on and on and on.
Anyone care to give their thoughts on what Dallas's best position was at Leeds?

Any player can look poor in their preferred, or best, position if their teammates aren't on the same wavelength. Players can also adapt to play a position. What is a number 9? If you compared even just a handful of 'traditional' number 9s you would see a variety of different attributes and differences in how they play the game. For me Piroe is a clever player, he takes up some good positions, 'first yard in the mind' type player. A Pablo Hernandez type player would love playing with him as he would be able to read his movement and play the right pass, at the right weight so that Piroe could get onto the ball and get a shot away first time or at most needing to take one touch first. At Leeds we don't have a player that can play those passes or read the game the same way so instead Piroe gets passes aimed at him and has to make the most of them. People say he is never in the 6 yard box but that is because he is trying to find pockets of space in a crowded penalty area so that players can pick him out or so that he can react to a loose ball.