Middlesbrough v Leeds Utd Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Middlesbrough pre match chat

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:04 pm Time for DF to unleash Joffy in the run in :)

I know it is not likely but Joffy has a track record as a big game player, someone who can keep his in those critical moments. Norwich, Wolves, Brighton are the three stand outs where his grit and determination and game awareness, coulpled with his skill set created those magic moments.

Cmon Daniel, if you are going to play chaos theory at least pick the right man for the job

In fact looking at our currrent front line I would only put him and Gnonto into that bracket.
Can't see Farke pushing Joffy to the fore, Ian.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cjay wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:20 pm As I said on another thread, perception and reality aren't the same thing.

Bamford and Piroe took up the same positions (heat maps are basically identical) and not forgetting Piroe was in midfield for 30 minutes.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/17319 ... -Blackburn

But by the time Bamford was on we had basically abandoned all structure and midfield and so had no choice but to get it forward faster.
Do those 'heat maps' show how fast they move ?

Thought not :roll:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Kennyb41 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:46 pm Do those 'heat maps' show how fast they move ?

Thought not :roll:
Bamford isn't fast

He's had multiple injuries and is over 30.

Pace has long since gone.

Doesn't show how often they miss sitters or rather than fighting for the ball fall over and moan either
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

At least Boro's Two best players are out of this one. Ayling & Greenwood. I'm expecting Howson to remember his roots anorl.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Leeds1000 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:15 pm At least Boro's Two best players are out of this one. Ayling & Greenwood. I'm expecting Howson to remember his roots anorl.
Since the start of March, Luke has the most open play assists of any player across the entire top four division in English football ---- 5 in all.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:43 pm Because there isn't much difference between all three of them.

At least Paddy got into the box for the Gnonto & Summerville crosses even though he didn't anticipate the opportunities, Piroe seems to be adversed to the six-yard box.

We definitely need an experienced No.9 whether we're in the PL or the Championship next season.
Piroe isn't a 9, even Farke said pre season Piroe likes to arrive late into the box. He's a goal scoring mid
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:16 pm Piroe isn't a 9, even Farke said pre season Piroe likes to arrive late into the box. He's a goal scoring mid
You don't score as many goals as Piroe has if you are a goalscoring midfielder.

He's not a traditional 9, but he's not a 10 either, he's more a hybrid of the two imo.

When we signed him the Swansea Phil Hay said as much whilst praising Piroe for his scoring, hold up and link play in the right system.

Steve Cooper and Russell Martin got the best out of him playing him as a 9 and as a second striker on occasion, the issue isn't the player . .

With Bielsa and the fast one touch traditional football he'd thrive.

He's not suited to plodding 1 paced lopsided stuff Farke plays atm.

And neither should he he given he had no pre season and no consistent games as a striker here.
Signed

King Cjay

Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cjay wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:15 pm Bamford isn't fast

He's had multiple injuries and is over 30.

Pace has long since gone.

Doesn't show how often they miss sitters or rather than fighting for the ball fall over and moan either
All that, and yet still faster than Piroe :roll:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Kennyb41 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:12 pm All that, and yet still faster than Piroe :roll:
What has fast got to do with anything anyway?

We rarely play balls over the top, everything is slow and infront of the opposition

Neither Piroe nor Bamford are fast but we don't play fast football or use over the top passes

Piroe is a much better player than Bamford though.

Whether he suits this style is up for debate but that is on Farke and the recruitment team.

Paddy is a nostalgia act for some fans whose best form was years ago
Signed

King Cjay

Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

1964white wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:24 pm Since the start of March, Luke has the most open play assists of any player across the entire top four division in English football ---- 5 in all.
I have seen a few of them. I have also seen him turned inside out a few times anorl. Still it will upset the balance of the side having Bill missing. If the players are not hungry for a result up there then they may aswell throw in the towel. They will have had a good rest and need to sharpen their minds. Two wins going into Southampton is what we need and we are more than capable.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cjay wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:34 pm You don't score as many goals as Piroe has if you are a goalscoring midfielder.

He's not a traditional 9, but he's not a 10 either, he's more a hybrid of the two imo.

When we signed him the Swansea Phil Hay said as much whilst praising Piroe for his scoring, hold up and link play in the right system.

Steve Cooper and Russell Martin got the best out of him playing him as a 9 and as a second striker on occasion, the issue isn't the player . .

With Bielsa and the fast one touch traditional football he'd thrive.

He's not suited to plodding 1 paced lopsided stuff Farke plays atm.

And neither should he he given he had no pre season and no consistent games as a striker here.
Szmodics
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:00 pm Szmodics
Fair point.

But OK it's extremely rare, 1 season maybe.

Besides Swansea fans and reporters have told us he wasn't a midfielder often enough.

He played through the middle, as a second striker, left of a front 3 occasionally

But not midfield
Signed

King Cjay

Jammy 07
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jammy 07 »

Cjay wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:28 pm Fair point.

But OK it's extremely rare, 1 season maybe.

Besides Swansea fans and reporters have told us he wasn't a midfielder often enough.

He played through the middle, as a second striker, left of a front 3 occasionally

But not midfield
Bottom line is we should move Piroe on in the summer as he doesn't suit us and vice versa. Hopefully we can get 70/80% of our money back but even if we have to take a bigger hit there's no point in persevering with this particular square peg.

Trust me I'm right.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cjay wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:18 pm What has fast got to do with anything anyway?

We rarely play balls over the top, everything is slow and infront of the opposition

Neither Piroe nor Bamford are fast but we don't play fast football or use over the top passes

Piroe is a much better player than Bamford though.

Whether he suits this style is up for debate but that is on Farke and the recruitment team.

Paddy is a nostalgia act for some fans whose best form was years ago
PB faster off the mark, speed of thought, and more intelligent running.

Don't worry you'll get there.

This apparently 'much better player' has splinters from the bench for a reason.

;@)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Kennyb41 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:04 am PB faster off the mark, speed of thought, and more intelligent running.

Don't worry you'll get there.

This apparently 'much better player' has splinters from the bench for a reason.
Because Farke hasn't a clue how to use him? :roll:

The only thing Bamford does better is run around.

Used properly Piroe is better than Bamford at his best for promotion teams whilst playing for lower mid table teams.
Signed

King Cjay

Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

It’s quite amusing that we are writing Piroe off but the same people get shirty over derogatory comments about Farke. Somebody has already said Farke has probably made mistakes and has a few he’d like to put right so what about Piroe. Is he a mistake in how he’s been used or was he just extremely lucky at Swansea. 42 times or whatever it was.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cjay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:20 pm Because Farke hasn't a clue how to use him? :roll:

The only thing Bamford does better is run around.

Used properly Piroe is better than Bamford at his best for promotion teams whilst playing for lower mid table teams.
He's in a totally different team, different players, different tactics, he doesn't suit or get the lone role yet, given time he might do, but i have my doubts.

He can finish, when he has time to pick his spot, most teams are using a block against us, he has been tried in various positions.

Maybe it's time for him to show us what he's about and what he's got huh.

;@)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Kennyb41 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:18 pm He's in a totally different team, different players, different tactics, he doesn't suit or get the lone role yet, given time he might do, but i have my doubts.

He can finish, when he has time to pick his spot, most teams are using a block against us, he has been tried in various positions.

Maybe it's time for him to show us what he's about and what he's got huh.
But he has shown he can play the lone role for other teams.

He wasn't lauded for his goalscoring skills only, he was lauded for his workrate, link play and hold up play.

So it isn't he can't do these things.

Maybe he needs some faith? A run of games in his best position?

If Bamford was written off as quickly he'd have left years ago.
Signed

King Cjay

60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

My pre match chat boils down to my belief that we are destined for the play offs (a situation that 99% of fans would have accepted pre season) and as such I can watch the last 3 games without fear.....but then the fear may kick in !!
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

60sUnited wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:40 pm My pre match chat boils down to my belief that we are destined for the play offs (a situation that 99% of fans would have accepted pre season) and as such I can watch the last 3 games without fear.....but then the fear may kick in !!
Be careful about that fear…watching those teams bound for the playoffs right now is a very scary thought indeed. So while cementing a place in the playoffs might not produce a worry, getting crushed in the playoffs is an emerging concern given recent form and patterns of play.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United