Sunderland - Post Match Discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Sunderland - Post Match Discussion

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:51 am
Remember Leeds fans mocking Jaap Stam's Reading
That's who I was trying to think of as I was watching the game!!!!

Thank you, been bugging me all night who it reminded me of.

We are Jaap Stam's Reading with better players!!!
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

White Riot wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:14 am Yeah, sad night for me, cos as much as I like Farke, it just confirmed that he's not good enough for our long term ambitions.

Coventry and Sunderland were two great opportunities to step forward and grab one of the auto places, but we've come up well short on both occasions.

We're struggling to create chances, where we were rolling in them a while ago. Our play is static, predictable and ponderous and is easily nullified by average Championship teams and coaches.

These have been incredibly flat performances at a time when we needed to sprint into the home straight. Farke is significantly at fault here, he's gone ultra safe and cautious, a German Southgate.

The players generally look devoid of confidence and creativity and just look like they're hoping stuff will happen. Farke's plan seems to be keeping the ball and then give it to Jimmy and Georgi and hope for the best.

The last few matches have just confirmed all my fears about Daniel's failings at the top level. He's scared to change things and take a few risks and the players have just gone into their shells.

Play offs for us, and we will fail miserably there. If by some miracle we do get promoted we are in for some proper Bielsa batterings. As happened in the past two seasons, the top coaches and players will dismantle us at leisure, take the piss out of us, and then say how great we are :lol:

Farke isn't the man, sadly, to take us forward. He'll be sacked in the next six months.
I think he's a decent man manager, I think he handled the summer fairly well.

But I think it's fairly obvious why his top level record is what it is?

Not all about money, his tactics are a contradiction.

He doesn't rely on fast, slick 1 touch passing moves to break teams down (remember Bielsa years we used to have these viral videos of those types of goals we scored) none this season.

He relies on controlling the ball and then passing it to a special player or two to create something.

But because the passing is so slow and safe that player invariably has 2 men marking them making it much harder for them.

It wouldn't be so bad if on occasion we played a risky pass or two, in behind or cross field having dragged the opposition to 1 side of the pitch.

But we don't do that either, it's slow short passes, by which time the opposition shuffle across and the space on the opposite side is gone.

The whole style for my mind makes life more difficult for the players.

It's asking Georgie and Summerville to create chances against teams that have had an age to get into a defensive shape whilst Rodon, Meslier and Ampadu dick about on the halfway line passing the ball back and forth.

And then you make it even more predictable by passing down 1 side for 90% of the game.

Just not good enough

And as for his game management and subs which seem to consist of chuck every attacker on and hope for the best at 75+ minutes . . . Pfft.

It's just all very frustrating and actually I find it boring until it gets to one of the talented attackers who inject a bit of life into it.
Signed

King Cjay

White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cjay wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:17 pm I think he's a decent man manager, I think he handled the summer fairly well.

But I think it's fairly obvious why his top level record is what it is?

Not all about money, his tactics are a contradiction.

He doesn't rely on fast, slick 1 touch passing moves to break teams down (remember Bielsa years we used to have these viral videos of those types of goals we scored) none this season.

He relies on controlling the ball and then passing it to a special player or two to create something.

But because the passing is so slow and safe that player invariably has 2 men marking them making it much harder for them.

It wouldn't be so bad if on occasion we played a risky pass or two, in behind or cross field having dragged the opposition to 1 side of the pitch.

But we don't do that either, it's slow short passes, by which time the opposition shuffle across and the space on the opposite side is gone.

The whole style for my mind makes life more difficult for the players.

It's asking Georgie and Summerville to create chances against teams that have had an age to get into a defensive shape whilst Rodon, Meslier and Ampadu dick about on the halfway line passing the ball back and forth.

And then you make it even more predictable by passing down 1 side for 90% of the game.

Just not good enough

And as for his game management and subs which seem to consist of chuck every attacker on and hope for the best at 75+ minutes . . . Pfft.

It's just all very frustrating and actually I find it boring until it gets to one of the talented attackers who inject a bit of life into it.
It's a real contrast to earlier in the season when our play was flowing better. At the time Farke and the players both stressed that they had the green light to play risky forward passes if they saw them.

Now it's all about keeping it on the halfway line in this pentagram between Meslier, Rodon, Ampadu, Kamara and Gruev.

It's unfair to expect Georgi and Jimmy to conjure up magic when they're receiving the ball in static situations, surrounded by opposition players and the opposition is already well set in it's formation.

We are making it very easy to defend for opposition players and coaches. And yes it is f**king boring. I was so bored 😴 I was only half watching a vital match last night.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:31 pm Now it's all about keeping it on the halfway line in this pentagram between Meslier, Rodon, Ampadu, Kamara and Gruev.

We are making it very easy to defend for opposition players and coaches. And yes it is f**king boring. I was so bored 😴 I was only half watching a vital match last night.
So frigging boring, it was only the cold conditions keeping me awake :sleep:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:08 pm That's who I was trying to think of as I was watching the game!!!!

Thank you, been bugging me all night who it reminded me of.

We are Jaap Stam's Reading with better players!!!
We were laughing & mocking those Reading players.

I wasn't laughing last night, I was fuming.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:36 pm So frigging boring, it was only the cold conditions keeping me awake :sleep:
It was cold enough for me mate, never mind you that bit further up in the stand.

P.S As always, good to see you again last night.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:36 pm So frigging boring, it was only the cold conditions keeping me awake :sleep:
:lol:

I couldn't believe how bored I was Leon. I never got excited all match and that's not like me.

But unfortunately we've seen all of this many times mate.
Tyzy
First Team
First Team

Post by Tyzy »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:08 am You selected 0-0 in the comp. The curse is upon you 😂
It's been my philosophy in life for a number of years,expect the worst then when it happens it's not a surprise if it doesn't it's happy days 😁

We we're due a 0-0 it's been a while I think ?
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Tyzy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:46 pm It's been my philosophy in life for a number of years,expect the worst then when it happens it's not a surprise if it doesn't it's happy days 😁

I was desperately hoping we'd win convincingly and had rode the stalling, why oh why do I do that, I've been aroung long enough to know better and yet my heart ruled my head once more.
I now go back to winning the old first division when we lost 4-0 at moan city with 4 games to go, I came out of maine road saying we'd still win the league which we did, surely we can win the next 4 and go up !!

Oh no, I'm at it again, bangs head firmly against wall numerous times.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Tyzy
First Team
First Team

Post by Tyzy »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:53 pm I was desperately hoping we'd win convincingly and had rode the stalling, why oh why do I do that, I've been aroung long enough to know better and yet my heart ruled my head once more.
I now go back to winning the old first division when we lost 4-0 at moan city with 4 games to go, I came out of maine road saying we'd still win the league which we did, surely we can win the next 4 and go up !!

Oh no, I'm at it again, bangs head firmly against wall numerous times.
Hope you're right mate 👍
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Tom the Cat wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:38 am It crossed my mind that Allan Clarke lives in Scunthorpe and is only 77 years old. Maybe we could play him instead of Bamford and just stand him in the penalty area - he would be more likely to score.
:lol: :roflmao: :lol:

I’ve been on the Joseph starts train since Watford. But that doesn’t change the fact that this was Paddy’s best game out of the past three. Still leaning in the Joseph direction, but wouldn’t be surprised if Farke sticks with Paddy, either. Gnonto and Roberts are imperative starts at this point.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Is it beyond Watford to do us a favour tonight !!
I thought Millwall would get a point last night for some reason, bettered it, C'mon Watford.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:41 pm It was cold enough for me mate, never mind you that bit further up in the stand.

P.S As always, good to see you again last night.
Yes, it's definitely warmer higher up in the stand, I was well wrapped up, I think the cold windy conditions caught a lot of our fans out.

Good to see you & have a nice little chat about things important to us in our lives, mate.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:57 pm Is it beyond Watford to do us a favour tonight !!
I thought Millwall would get a point last night for some reason, bettered it, C'mon Watford.
3-1 to Ipswich
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

White Riot wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:31 pm It's a real contrast to earlier in the season when our play was flowing better. At the time Farke and the players both stressed that they had the green light to play risky forward passes if they saw them.

Now it's all about keeping it on the halfway line in this pentagram between Meslier, Rodon, Ampadu, Kamara and Gruev.

It's unfair to expect Georgi and Jimmy to conjure up magic when they're receiving the ball in static situations, surrounded by opposition players and the opposition is already well set in it's formation.

Nothing we are seeing now is different to what Mönchengladbach fans criticised him for.

Slow build up, poor game management and subs.

The build up did seem better at times earlier in the season (all be it still very reliant on individual)

Maybe the Christmas struggles frightened him and he has reverted to type? Who knows

We had a great run to catch Leicester but why were we 17 points behind a supposed rival in the first place?
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:38 pm We were laughing & mocking those Reading players.

I wasn't laughing last night, I was fuming.
Heard the frustration in the crowd and ironic cheers when Gray or James got the ball.

First real sign of discontent or anger with DF we've seen.

Only himself to blame.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:57 pm Is it beyond Watford to do us a favour tonight !!
It isn't no.

They've got draws against us and WBA recently.

Should really have got something when Leicester beat them 2-1 (they had twice as many shots and Leicester needed a pen for the win).

It's not against the realms of possibility either that Plymouth take points off Leicester either on Friday.

Leicester are struggling

Millwall, Bristol City, QPR, Boro taken points off them.

But with how we are playing would it make any difference?
Signed

King Cjay

Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Tyzy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:46 pm It's been my philosophy in life for a number of years,expect the worst then when it happens it's not a surprise if it doesn't it's happy days 😁

Bore draw doesn’t do it any justice. Utter snore fest.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Cjay wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:20 pm It isn't no.

They've got draws against us and WBA recently.

Should really have got something when Leicester beat them 2-1 (they had twice as many shots and Leicester needed a pen for the win).

It's not against the realms of possibility either that Plymouth take points off Leicester either on Friday.

Leicester are struggling

Millwall, Bristol City, QPR, Boro taken points off them.

But with how we are playing would it make any difference?
That's the real issue isn't it.
Whichever team goes on a run now will have it, can 2 or even 3 or 4 of us go on a run, anything can happen in football as we know, but with us it's never done in half measures, surely the other 3 must be saying excatly what we're saying and relying on others.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Leicester fans been moaning all season about the man City without the players style . I'm all for shifting the ball around but it requires technically good players prepared to get the ball in tight spots and moving it quickly to create space. Nobody in the championship has those attributes and I find it odd that managers persist with it. It would be very interesting to see a side with two really good quality wingers playing in crosses for Shearer rather than Bamford. I think those days are long gone but by god at least it was interesting to watch. One decent ball played in last and if Jack Clarke was a couple of inches taller we really would be moaning today.