The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 9th April) Summerville caught up in £45m transfer merry go-round

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 9th April) Summerville caught up in £45m transfer merry go-round

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 9th April, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Summerville caught up in £45m transfer merry go-round

Leeds have slapped a £45m asking price on the services of Crysencio Summerville, after being linked with a move to the San Siro Stadium! The 22 year old has been in sparkling form this season, scoring 18, and proving 8 assists. He is widely touted as being the best play in the Championship, ahead of Sunderland's Jack Clarke. Switching 'Jimmy' to play inverted winger / third striker was a stroke of genius by Daniel Farke, even if it occurred by accident, after the departure of Luis Sinisterra!

Summerville is caught up in a transfer merry go-round melee that could see him join AC Milan, replacing Rafael Leão who is expected to join Paris Saint-Germain, to succeed Kylian Mbappe who is being strongly linked with Real Madrid.

Should Leeds retire pink kit now?

Most Leeds fan if asked, would prefer an all white home kit, and a blue or yellow (or mixture of the two) as their away colours; so whatever possessed the club to go all pink, even as a third strip? Leeds is a working class city, with a steep footballing tradition of physicality, tough tackling and Yorkshire grit, but in an age of equality and sensitivity, does it have a place at the club?

In 2018 Norwich City, (under Daniel Farke's tenure) painted their away dressing room bright pink in a bid to lower testosterone levels for visiting players. Some clubs were so worried by this that they papered the entire dressing room with A4 white paper before allowing their players in! Away from home, it hasn't been a lucky omen for them. It may be their third kit, but they have lost at Coventry, Chelsea, West Brom, Preston and Birmingham whilst wearing the Pink kit!

Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 9th April) Summerville caught up in £45m transfer merry go-round

Post by Orange Box »

I question: do transfer fees ever get paid? I assume they must, because they are a contract, but like most contracts I expect they are ridiculously complicated.
So, if a large sum is paid piecemeal, how does that affect our bottom line? Can we simply add 45m to our sales, or will it be the tuppence we actually receive? (I’m ignoring the debate of what Summerville is worth).

I’m asking for a friend, obviously.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 9th April) Summerville caught up in £45m transfer merry go-round

Post by lufc1304 »

Jimmy was always going to be the subject of transfer speculation. Where he is playing his football next year will be dictated, at least to an extent, by where we are playing ours. If we go up, then I'd certainly hope he wouldn't be going anywhere; if we don't, then it may be difficult to convince him to give us another season in a league he is too good for.

I don't actually mind the pink kit, but it should be a training or casual top, our third strip should be yellow.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

If we go up we have something to offer Summerville, but I am sure he has his own ambitions. He is 22 now, playing in Europe and playing for his country at a senior level tend to go hand in hand. I remain far from convinced that he will stay even if we are promoted - nature of the game these days so I will not be surprised whatever the outcome.
ruttermania
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by ruttermania »

To my mind Summerville is a little bit like Raphinha in that his relationship with the club is a bit transactional and he has always had a trajectory which he can see but he is younger and has a bit more time and seems to be fairly well advised . If we go up I think he will sign a new contract with a significant release clause and he will give us one or two seasons in the Premiership as he will believe he has the capacity now to do same job as Raph did in his two seasons at Elland Road. When he's ready he will believe that he will have his pick of all the clubs in Europe and hopefully he will go with us getting a fine fat fee which will be a massive profit thanks to the wonderful work of Orta in bringing him in for chump change.
It's a bit of a tired trope this nonsense about the Pink Kit . There were special circumstances around the Birmongham, Preston West Brom losses which were far more significant . As for Coventry and Chelsea I would suggest that anybody who thought that we were nailed on to to win either of those that they were in La La Land and should have been wearing pink themselves .
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

We go up and summerville goes nowhere regardless of his ambitions - I do think his play has turned a little bit selfish of late though perhaps in an effort to keep himself in the spot light.

Not sure these days I’d characterise Leeds as a working class city and I’d say I’ve seen that pink kit worn more than any other but given its record we shouldn’t play in it again, wear the home kit away if the blue/green kit clashes.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all,

I love to say if we stay up, Cree stays but I feel if a "big" European club come in for him and pay the right money he'll be gone, he feels he's a top class player and should be playing for a top team, time will tell if he is or not, but we should be happy we have him for now and hopefully a big enough injection of cash to help with which ever league we are in next season.

Don't mind the pink kit, wouldn't buy it myself, and we haven't been lucky in it so overall I'd say get rid.
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

I have no positive or negative views on the pink kit. Personally, I wouldn’t buy one and wear it, as I am not into wearing a football shirt unless I am actually playing and those days are gone. Always been a scarf when I go to a match, or if the weather is nice a shirt or t-shirt of the right colour.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Its the blue kit we haven't won in isn't it?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:23 am Its the blue kit we haven't won in isn't it?
Yes, 2020 was the last time we won wearing our 2nd strip (whatever the colour)

Barnsley away I think it was.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

IMG_20240409_132529.jpg

Let me see now where are the 49ers situated, California, oh yes and what was the big woke movie released last year, why Barbie of course, that rant against the patriarchy,

If we have a pink strip the PR department says we we will appeal to the woke community. It will be a winner for us.

More like a Bud Lite moment. American sensibilities don't sit well with Yorkshire persons. (Not to offend anyone)
IMG_20240409_133204.jpg
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:23 am Its the blue kit we haven't won in isn't it?
In the blue kit we have lost to:-

Southampton
Sunderland
Stoke
Salford (on pens)

In Pink, we have lost to:-

Coventry City
Chelsea
West Brom
Preston
Birmingham
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I'd sell him for that in a heartbeat, less even.

And go get Clarke back, cheap and more potential, albeit both are unproven at a higher level yet.

But £45m v £4m is a complete no brainer to me.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I'd fck that pink kit off in a heartbeat anorl.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:13 am In the blue kit we have lost to:-

Southampton
Sunderland
Stoke
Salford (on pens)

In Pink, we have lost to:-

Coventry City
Chelsea
West Brom
Preston
Birmingham
Cheers. Although we have won in the pink kit. Cardiff or Swanse was it.

Whats left?

Away to Boro we wear white
Qpr pink
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
ruttermania
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by ruttermania »

The reason Summerville stays for at least one more season if we go up is because he trusts in his own ability to tear up the Premiership next season and then he will be dictating the terms of his next move as an established Premiership player . Playing in the top league on a regular basis is how you maximise the options for your next move if you have that self belief. The only reasons to go to a mid level Premiership club is if we don't get promoted or if you doubt your capacity to cut it at the very top. It seems to me that he has supreme confidence in his ability and expects to ultimately star at the highest level so why would he want to go to one of the chancers willing to take a punt after one very good year in the Championship. If we go up he will probably stay unless one of the very top clubs decides that they've got to have him now.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

First kit - All white
Second kit - All white, blue socks
Third kit- All White, gold socks
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

ruttermania wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:35 am The reason Summerville stays for at least one more season if we go up is because he trusts in his own ability to tear up the Premiership next season and then he will be dictating the terms of his next move as an established Premiership player . Playing in the top league on a regular basis is how you maximise the options for your next move if you have that self belief. The only reasons to go to a mid level Premiership club is if we don't get promoted or if you doubt your capacity to cut it at the very top. It seems to me that he has supreme confidence in his ability and expects to ultimately star at the highest level so why would he want to go to one of the chancers willing to take a punt after one very good year in the Championship. If we go up he will probably stay unless one of the very top clubs decides that they've got to have him now.
And what happens if he can't get it onto his right foot and shoot in the Prem, and his price plummets ?

;@)
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

If we fail to go up this season it won't just be summerville out through the doors at least 4 or 5 will be on their way too
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

I reckon summerville can't wait to get away, also his little sidekick gnonto as well, if we don't get promotion there could be a host wanting away but the 2 above are definates for me, don't know who puts a price on them , I don't think United have slapped any fee on any player as yet, don't even think the waters of temptation have been tested either, purely speculation of our best players at this point.

The pink kit and the stupid blue/green effort, get rid, LU are blue, yellow & white, that in itself equates to 3 kits, just selling fans down the river as usual.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"