The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 8th April) - Ipswich falter but Leeds bottle it

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 8th April) - Ipswich falter but Leeds bottle it

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 8th April, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Ipswich falter but Leeds bottle it

Leeds slipped to their first (league) loss of 2024 with a pitiful performance against play off hopefuls Coventry City on Saturday afternoon. Expectations were high, after Ipswich faltered at the hands of bitter rivals Norwich City just hours earlier, but Leeds could not capitalise! Instead of returning to the top of the pile, they found themselves out of the automatic promotion places, and must now rely on either Leicester City or Ipswich Town slipping up!

Leeds were punished on 9 minutes, after failing to clear a corner, which eventually got bundled over the line off the head of Ellis Simms. The quality of the goal (both defensively and attacking wise) had all the trademarks of a Sunday morning at Hackney Marsh, but it didn't matter to a sold out Ricoh Arena, such was the significance of the match. They doubled their account early in the second half. Eccles (who had been given the freedom of midfield all afternoon) sliced the Leeds defence wide open with a deep diagonal ball to Hadji Wright deep within the Leeds penalty area, claiming his seventeenth of the season.

Leeds tried to rally. Summerville went close a couple of times, before Piroe finally got one back with fifteen minutes left on the clock, but it was too little too late. The hard work put in by the players over the first quarter of 2024, has been undone by three inept performances, and now it's out of our hands.

Summerville's one man crusade

Summerville went on a one man crusade in the second half in search of goals. The fact he didn't want to relinquish the ball to any of his team mates speaks volumes about his trust in the players. Three or four times the young Dutchman had opportunities to lay the ball off to a teammate in a better position, but decided to go it alone. He forced several fine saves by Collins, as well as a goal line clearance. Whilst we all share his frustrations, should we assume that all is not well inside the Leeds Utd dressing room?

Changes must be made on Tuesday night

Daniel Farke has some important selection decisions to make ahead of the Sunderland game on Tuesday evening! Leeds are not playing well, and games are running out! Unfortunately for the gaffer, so many of his players are in the middle of a slump, that it's difficult to know where to start! With many players already having played over 4000 minutes this season (for club and Country), it's not surprising that they are starting to fade, especially as they're being forced to play whilst injured (with painkilling injections) or taking the field whilst ill!

Leeds blasé approach to the loan market is finally catching up with them, at a time when it matters most (the business end of the season)! I can guarantee that clubs like Everton are already forming an orderly queue outside Elland Road to rob Leeds of every talent at the club, not to mention drain the contracts from the players out on loan (many of whom we don't even get a loan fee for). Albert Einstein once claimed that the 'definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results', so it will be interesting to see what changes are made to the line-up against Sunderland on Tuesday evening!

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 8th April) - Ipswich falter but Leeds bottle it

Post by The Subhuman »

Everything is fine in the dressing room .... but 5 games left is a great time to start a rumour everything's not well

Bullet meet foot
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 8th April) - Ipswich falter but Leeds bottle it

Post by The Subhuman »

Couple of things could be done before and in game in regard to selections and substitutions

Gnonto to start as soon as he's able. Bamford reverting to the bench for Joseph. Irrespective of how that might go we need to see what we have in Joseph and he'd do well to do worse than Paddy's last 4 games where he's not even been below average

Firpo to get more deadball opportunities

If chasing the game, Charlie Cresswell on to give us a top target man for corners, Piroe on,
Last edited by The Subhuman on Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Bottle it.

One if those tropes no-one knows what it means but it sounds mean, tough and knowledgeable.

We lost a football match.

s**t happens.

The spilt makers are out in force.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Clubs like Everton.

Like more successful ones?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:54 am Couple of things could be done before and in game in regard to selections and substitutions

Gnonto to start as soon as he's able. Bamford reverting to the bench for Joseph. Irrespective of how that might go we need to see what we have in Joseph and he'd do well to do worse than Paddy's last 4 games where he's not even been below average

Firpo to get more deadball opportunities

If chasing the game, Charlie Cresswell on to give us a top target man for corners, Piroe on,
:roflmao:

So you're happy to stay in the Championship yes.

Dear dear me, LUFC and their 'fans'
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

There is just the one change needed to be made for the rest of the season....

Stop, 'lightening the load on the players'
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Unrest in the dressing room?
IMG_20240408_120700.jpg
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Team selection

"A problem defined, is a problem half solved."
~ Albert Einstein
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Nowt wrong with Hackney Marshes. I played there at 16 usally against still half-pissed, coked up cockney blokes.

We need to get a win tomorrow with Bamford and Kamara being benched. I still feel we should have invested more in January. However, it is was it is, and I'm sure there'll be a few twists to come.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Morning all.
A bad day at the office saturday but these things are bound to happen, the loss has been coming, we cannot comlain the way we've traded all season, just an anomoly that 4 teams have been pushing hard all the way, normally there would be one break away team, the season isn't over yet, we'll make the play offs without doubt, most of us would have taken that at the start with the issues we've had, anything else is surely a bonus.
Bamford has cost us again and again and again in my honest opinion, I realise players miss chances, but decent players don't keep on missing them, I'd go for the inexperienced Joseph and fetch bamford on as sub if needed, this madness of starting him has to stop. hence why summerville won't pass to the useless twat.
Beat sunderland and lets look forward again.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Feels a bit like our race is done and the only hope now is that we can somehow chance our way to more points than Ipswich - another poor performance tomorrow and you would be forgiven for thinking this season is over.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

I've seen enough in the last three games to tell we're in trouble UNLESS we can perform a 180 degree turn.

That's nothing against how well they have played this year, but as things stand, we're bang in trouble of missing out on automatic promotion.

We all remember what happened last Summer, with clubs (like Everton) desperate to steal our players away at a fraction of their value! The same will happen UNLESS we go up!
Tom the Cat
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Tom the Cat »

I read in the Yorkshire Post this morning that DF refuses to criticise Bamford saying that his running off the ball is invaluable !! If you watch him closely you will note that he runs around like a big girl and always times his runs so that he just doesn't make it in time to make a challenge. However that is possibly better than having him missing sitters from close range. As stated by a previous poster his missed sitters (including penalties) last season were a major contribution to us being relegated and his misses lately are likely to be a MAJOR cause of us missing out on automatic promotion.
Joseph is different class, puts himself about, has a good shot on him, and worries defenders. Bambi has none of these qualities and in my opinion should not start another game or Leeds.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Tom the Cat wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:39 am I read in the Yorkshire Post this morning that DF refuses to criticise Bamford saying that his running off the ball is invaluable !! If you watch him closely you will note that he runs around like a big girl and always times his runs so that he just doesn't make it in time to make a challenge. However that is possibly better than having him missing sitters from close range. As stated by a previous poster his missed sitters (including penalties) last season were a major contribution to us being relegated and his misses lately are likely to be a MAJOR cause of us missing out on automatic promotion.
Joseph is different class, puts himself about, has a good shot on him, and worries defenders. Bambi has none of these qualities and in my opinion should not start another game or Leeds.
Even when he gets on the end of a ball he can’t do anything with it. You can see in the haunted expression on his face that he is going through one of those patches, DF needs to take the pressure off him and drop him.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Tom the Cat wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:39 am I read in the Yorkshire Post this morning that DF refuses to criticise Bamford saying that his running off the ball is invaluable !! If you watch him closely you will note that he runs around like a big girl and always times his runs so that he just doesn't make it in time to make a challenge. However that is possibly better than having him missing sitters from close range. As stated by a previous poster his missed sitters (including penalties) last season were a major contribution to us being relegated and his misses lately are likely to be a MAJOR cause of us missing out on automatic promotion.
Welcome to the forum Tom!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Unless we drastically improve over from recent performances, I can't see us winning again this season!!
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

1. Welcome to the forumTC.
2. You’re not supposed to watch Bamford closely. You’re supposed to be in awe of the effort he puts in.
3. I don’t think Mr Farke, like many others on this forum, will agree with you. I think he’s a first-name-on-the-sheet kind of guy.
4. I agree with everything you say, and will add, he has an incredible knack of running offside, then throwing up his arms in desperation that he doesn’t get his pass earlier. It must be so frustrating for him to be playing alongside people who can’t think at the pace he does.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

FFS calm down everybody

It'll be fine :) :) :) :)
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

whiteinfrance wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:25 am FFS calm down everybody

It'll be fine :) :) :) :)
That’s the digital slap in the face I needed!